Are there believers of creation who object to "creationist"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:56 pm

Are there believers of creation who object to being referred to as "creationists" similar to how supporters of evolution object to "evolutionist"?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 3:48 pm

As long as you don't call them "evolution deniers" I think that they are all okay with it.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 4:04 pm

NewTime wrote:
Are there believers of creation who object to being referred to as "creationists" similar to how supporters of evolution object to "evolutionist"?

I don't object to politically incorrect terms like "evolutionist". I just laugh.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:50 am

There might be some people who'd not enjoy getting lumped in with Catholic/Protestant/nondenominational types (since most of the coinage is thrown at them) if Christianity isn't where they're coming from but I doubt they'd pay much attention - especially when the more attention you actually pay to this stuff and the implications of the ideas the more you realize just how little you know.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:33 pm

I think people might not like it that are from religions that teach that they are the only “Truth.” They wouldn’t want to be lumped with the heathens from a different religion.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 3:03 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think people might not like it that are from religions that teach that they are the only “Truth.” They wouldn’t want to be lumped with the heathens from a different religion.

Well … too bad.

Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all very similar. No amount for right-wing political correctness can change this.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 5:28 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well … too bad.

Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all very similar. No amount for right-wing political correctness can change this.

Oh, I agree with you!

I just have a former insider’s perspective. :wink:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 5:45 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well … too bad.

Oh, I agree with you!

Same here. My biological father is a crazy conspiracy nut and a fundamentalist Christian. That's why my mom divorced him.

Dad once forced me and my sister to watch The Passion of the Christ when I was about ten and she was about seven. It was revolting.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 5:53 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well … too bad.

Oh, I agree with you!

Same here. My biological father is a crazy conspiracy nut and a fundamentalist Christian. That's why my mom divorced him.

Dad once forced me and my sister to watch The Passion of the Christ when I was about ten and she was about seven. It was revolting.

That’s horrible! I would’ve found it traumatic.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:06 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well … too bad.

As a christian I would agree about Christianity and Judaism, after all Christianity is simply the extension of Judaism. However Islam took a very different turn early on.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 12:43 am

As most on WP know, I fancy myself a Christian. That said, I do not accept the Biblical account to be particularly factual, with the exception that God is the universe' creator, and that something had happened to the human race to make our species pretty deplorable and in need of saving - - I think human history bears that out. I absolutely believe in a theistic evolution.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 3:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As most on WP know, I fancy myself a Christian. That said, I do not accept the Biblical account to be particularly factual, with the exception that God is the universe' creator, and that something had happened to the human race to make our species pretty deplorable and in need of saving - - I think human history bears that out. I absolutely believe in a theistic evolution.

I’m not sure if we’re that deplorable. There’s lots of unpleasantness in the animal world as well. They just aren’t intelligent enough to create weapons of mass destruction.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 6:34 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I’m not sure if we’re that deplorable. There’s lots of unpleasantness in the animal world as well. They just aren’t intelligent enough to create weapons of mass destruction.

I think animals are by nature aggressive in order to hunt, or defend their territory, or even to defend their status when it comes to mating. Humans, though, are unnecessarily cruel, plus not only are we aliens in our own world but we have the capacity to destroy our environment.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 7:34 pm

I think creation and evolution can go hand in hand, and only about 10% of Christians actively reject evolution. Not sure about other religions.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 1:52 am

I am not what has come to be known as a "young-earth" creationist, i.e., believing that God created the cosmos in 6 literal earth days and that the earth is only around 6,000 years old, and that He created the fossil and geological record to test our faith. If that is what people automatically assume when they say "creationist," I want no part of it. Like several others have said, though, I am a Christian who believes in evolution and see no reason to take Genesis literally.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 2:01 am

Redxk wrote:
I am not what has come to be known as a "young-earth" creationist, i.e., believing that God created the cosmos in 6 literal earth days and that the earth is only around 6,000 years old, and that He created the fossil and geological record to test our faith. If that is what people automatically assume when they say "creationist," I want no part of it. Like several others have said, though, I am a Christian who believes in evolution and see no reason to take Genesis literally.

I think you and I are largely in agreement.