Running out of Things to Say in a Conversation

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:37 am

Do you ever run out of things to say in a conversation. Or is there times you just don’t want to have a conversation that your answers are ‘yes’ or ‘no.’ I get this a lot especially more so when talking on the phone. Good job no one sees me when talking on the phone as I tend to start rolling my eyes and mouthing words like ‘hurry up’ or ‘oh come on!’ Especially if I am not in a social mood and mind is focus on an activity I want to do.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:57 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Do you ever run out of things to say in a conversation. Or is there times you just don’t want to have a conversation that your answers are ‘yes’ or ‘no.’

Both

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:07 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Do you ever run out of things to say in a conversation.
Yeah, pretty much every single time I talk to anyone. Seriously. Having little to say is my number one problem when interacting.

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Or is there times you just don’t want to have a conversation that your answers are ‘yes’ or ‘no.’
yeah, that happens

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Good job no one sees me when talking on the phone as I tend to start rolling my eyes and mouthing words like ‘hurry up’ or ‘oh come on!’ Especially if I am not in a social mood and mind is focus on an activity I want to do.
Been there, done that! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 3:50 am

Yes, definitely. If it is someone I know well enough, the don't-know-what-to-say silence can be fine, but with other people it's downright awkward. As much as I want to stop the awkward silence, I worry that whatever I'm thinking of saying might be wrong.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 8:04 am

I've been practicing for a decade so it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 8:13 am

Running out of things to say in a conversation was an issue when I was young, like still a teen. But after awhile you get into the habit of peppering your patter with invitations to the other person to speak , and talk about themselves, or give their opinions(so which of our teams is worse right now, do ya think? Our baseball team, or our football team?), and soon you cant get words in edgewise because the other person is doing the conversational heavy lifting.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 9:35 am

Definitely to everything you've said. I'm amused that I'm not the only one who rolls his eyes rubs my forehead, shakes my head, etc while on the phone at work with people.

If I know I'm going to have a conversation with someone, beforehand, I think of a short list of topical things to talk about. Once that list is done through my level of internal nervousness increases. I'm like the Cinderella carriage that will turn back into pumpkin at midnight at some point.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:23 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Do you ever run out of things to say in a conversation. Or is there times you just don’t want to have a conversation that your answers are ‘yes’ or ‘no.’ I get this a lot especially more so when talking on the phone. Good job no one sees me when talking on the phone as I tend to start rolling my eyes and mouthing words like ‘hurry up’ or ‘oh come on!’ Especially if I am not in a social mood and mind is focus on an activity I want to do.

Yes. Other people get mad at me because I don’t conversation. Sometimes conversation is fun, especially if it results in laughter or learning something new, but other than that it’s not my favorite. I lose interest easily. I avoid the phone altogether. I’m just different, but not superior.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

Yup, both of these happen a lot. And when there's dead air, I find myself wondering whether I am supposed to be saying something or not.

Purpledragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

Oh yes, everything you said.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 6:28 pm

Yes I have that problem as well.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm

Dealing with very extroverted people that need to talk all the time discombobulates and mentally exhausts me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dealing with very extroverted people that need to talk all the time discombobulates and mentally exhausts me.

I have more trouble talking to introverted people. We run out of stuff to say to each other very quickly.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:20 pm

Definitely. The only thing I can ever think to talk about with people is work/school, or if I know that they share an interest of mine- then I ask about that. Otherwise I just sit there with nothing to say and it gets quite awkward. I absolutely cannot stand talking on the phone, and I avoid it at all costs. It is so difficult to hear and process what people are saying, and it seems I am not the greatest at reading tone of voice.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Running out of things to say in a conversation was an issue when I was young, like still a teen. But after awhile you get into the habit of peppering your patter with invitations to the other person to speak , and talk about themselves, or give their opinions(so which of our teams is worse right now, do ya think? Our baseball team, or our football team?), and soon you cant get words in edgewise because the other person is doing the conversational heavy lifting.

Me, too. This works when I am "up" for having a conversation. The key is to accept that no none is interested in what I actually do, or my life, but infinitely interested in expounding on their own. If I'm not up for a conversation, or I am bored or feel resentful that I have even been pushed into this conversation, then I pretty much go quiet. Or just leave...

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 12:30 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:

Yup, I relate to all of this. Except the phone call part, that's usually my reaction when I'm getting messages on social media and just not in the mood to talk.

One day I was just scrolling through my recommendations on YouTube and there was a video titled "How to keep a conversation going, try the FORD method" so I decided to send a screenshot of it to a friend with the caption "Lol, I think YouTube is judging me, must think that I'm not good at making conversation".

Friend: You could use it, I swear about 50% of our conversations end because you run out of stuff to say.

Me: Pft, speak for yourself, I think our conversations go excellently. :lol: