Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Does anyone else have an absurdly difficult time remembering whats left and whats right?

Sometimes I have to see which thumb and forefinger makes the L shape to get my bearings back. I often refer to the left as the right and vice versa which confuses the hell out of people I may be talking to, although I only really have my immediate family and 1 friend in my life and they've gotten used to my inability to accurately tell left from right.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:06 am

Yes, I have that issue as well. A disadvantage to being cross dominant. I can write with either hand. Fine motion is better with the left. I have more strength on my right side.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:30 am

I have trouble with this as well. I’m somewhat ambidextrous, so maybe not having a rigid dominant hand is part of that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:33 am

I have lots of trouble with that too and I am also ambidextrous

Wreck It Ralph

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:49 am

Not any more, but I'm pretty sure it took me way longer than most people to learn when growing up.

I think I was in my mid-teenage years before I stopped having to physically move my arm as if I was writing something in order to figure out which way was left and which was right.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

I have a lot of trouble with this and am ambidextrous. It's quite difficult when people ask me to use my left or right arm, turn right somewhere quickly and stuff like that. I need to think a few seconds before I know what left and right is. Had therapy for it as a child, but it never really got better.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:08 pm

I'm ambidextrous as well, but I don't suffer from this problem-- yet, we'll see when I hit the golden years.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

Haha strange as I'm somewhat ambidextrous too. I would never have thought to connect the issue to being ambidextrous. I'm better at writing with my left hand but I can do it with either in a pinch.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm

I have trouble with this but I’m not ambidextrous. I’m right handed.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

I had difficulty with this well into young adulthood. It was especially hard when giving directions -- I'd have to gesture, and then mentally ask myself whether I was using my left arm or my right arm.

I write left-handed and do most everything else right-handed, and I've always assumed the problem was connected to that.

There Are Four Lights!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm

Olivia_H wrote:
Haha strange as I'm somewhat ambidextrous too. I would never have thought to connect the issue to being ambidextrous. I'm better at writing with my left hand but I can do it with either in a pinch.

I only mentioned it because a lot of other people did, but it does make me curious: what's the ratio of ambidextrous autistics compared to the general population? I'm curious because like 4 or 5 people have already mentioned it, and there's only 10 posts. Granted it's a very, very small sample size, but it does raise questions...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:04 pm

I can’t tell reft from light.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2018, 1:13 pm

Olivia_H wrote:
Does anyone else have an absurdly difficult time remembering whats left and whats right?

Sometimes I have to see which thumb and forefinger makes the L shape to get my bearings back. I often refer to the left as the right and vice versa which confuses the hell out of people I may be talking to, although I only really have my immediate family and 1 friend in my life and they've gotten used to my inability to accurately tell left from right.

Left and right causes me no problems. But East and West is a big problem. Funny, because North and South is no problem at all.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:24 pm

I learned that by first picturing the letter E attached to the compass rose by its middle stroke, …

Code:
  N
  |
E— —W
  |
  S

… and then remembering that’s the wrong orientation for east and west.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2018, 1:37 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Olivia_H wrote:

I only mentioned it because a lot of other people did, but it does make me curious: what's the ratio of ambidextrous autistics compared to the general population? I'm curious because like 4 or 5 people have already mentioned it, and there's only 10 posts. Granted it's a very, very small sample size, but it does raise questions...

It is interesting. It's all neurological after all, so perhaps there is somewhat of a connection between autism and handedness. Another thing apparently common in individuals with autism is poor handwriting, and mine is absolutely awful. I tried for many years to write like everyone else but my handwriting still looks like that of a 10 year old.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:51 pm

Olivia_H wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Olivia_H wrote:

It is interesting. It's all neurological after all, so perhaps there is somewhat of a connection between autism and handedness. Another thing apparently common in individuals with autism is poor handwriting, and mine is absolutely awful. I tried for many years to write like everyone else but my handwriting still looks like that of a 10 year old.

Oh please sister, you don't even know what crappy handwriting looks like. I have virtually no fine motor skills, I'm ambi but I write left handed so I'm always smearing what I just wrote, and I got criticized so much as a child that I just flat don't give a s**t anymore about how bad my writing is. I mean seriously, my best isn't good enough in the penmanship department so why give anything less than the minimal effort since it won't make a difference? Besides we're in a typing society now, I'm kind of glad I didn't go overboard learning a dying art. That's right, not only do I not care about my poor penmanship, I'm kind of actually proud of that fact. :wink: