Clipping/cutting toenails-difficult for anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:28 pm

Clipping/cutting my toenails . Between struggling to see them and using the clippers it’s very difficult.

Someone has suggested getting a podiatrist as part of my care package. I’m not sure a podiatrist would help though just because I have difficulty clipping/cutting them .

It seems to be a common problem for people with dyspraxia.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:00 pm

Just looked up some fees for nail cutting - £25-30 plus!

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:13 pm

My main issue is I hate the feel of clipping nails- so I just don't

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

I do my husband's for him, and I charge $0. Before he married me, I think he paid $15 at a nail salon.

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2018, 8:25 pm

Yes, it is quite difficult for me as well. My toe nails are in very rough shape due to that. For some reason; I really get anxious around feet, my own included. I even hate looking at my feet as odd as that is.

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 8:54 pm

I usually pick toenails with my fingernails, then try to repair the damage with clippers.
:D

For my fingernails, it's impossible to avoid biting them if I don't carry around clippers at all times. I think there might be some hypersensitivity involved here - they will feel irritated to the point that, before I've realised it, I've scraped underneath them with my either my other fingernails or my teeth, thus irritating them further.

There is simply no way to get through a full day without giving into the temptation and biting them off. The only way I can avoid it is if I have nail clippers with me at the time, in which case I can cut them off very short before I give in to the temptation.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 9:04 pm

I have to have it done for me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 9:53 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I usually pick toenails with my fingernails, then try to repair the damage with clippers.

For my fingernails, it's impossible to avoid biting them if I don't carry around clippers at all times. I think there might be some hypersensitivity involved here - they will feel irritated to the point that, before I've realised it, I've scraped underneath them with my either my other fingernails or my teeth, thus irritating them further.

There is simply no way to get through a full day without giving into the temptation and biting them off. The only way I can avoid it is if I have nail clippers with me at the time, in which case I can cut them off very short before I give in to the temptation.

It seems to be the same for me but with picking my nails. Before I started cutting my own nails, I would pick them until they bled. Now, I keep them trimmed to the point where there is almost no white left otherwise I get preoccupied with the nail. It really is impossible to resist the temptation! I also keep getting ingrown toenails as well as hangnails because I cut them too short. Such annoyances :lol: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
It seems to be the same for me but with picking my nails. Before I started cutting my own nails, I would pick them until they bled. Now, I keep them trimmed to the point where there is almost no white left otherwise I get preoccupied with the nail. It really is impossible to resist the temptation! I also keep getting ingrown toenails as well as hangnails because I cut them too short. Such annoyances :lol: !

My dad has tried to tell me how hard it was for him to stop biting his nails, but frankly I think he just doesn't get it. I'm think that I won't be able to completely overcome the temptation to bite my nails at all. If I want to avoid biting my nails, I'm doomed to carry around nail clippers for the rest of my life.

BTW, I'm pretty sure my ASD comes from my mom's side of the family.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 3:16 pm

I use nail scissors to clip my toe nails and finger nails. I hate the way the nail clippers feel on my toe nails and I usually end up breaking the clippers because I can never remember how to use them correctly.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 3:19 pm

I can't tolerate having nails that extend past the ends of my fingers, but I've never been a nail biter. Instead, they seem to tear off or get caught in stuff pretty easily, after which I clip them short.

But my daughter, who is autistic like me, started manicuring her nails really fancy as a way to break her habit of nail chewing. They used to be down to the merest nubs. Now, she has pretty nails like I can never grow. And she broke the habit of chewing them.