I have a serious compulsive gadget addiction. Need help

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

thestarseedsoul
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2018, 5:34 pm

Don't get me wrong, my mom and I have tried everything, including this computer regulation software, mainly to monitor and limit time for kids, called Quostodio, and as I speak I only have 14 minutes to try to summarize my issue with being on my computer and gadgets all the damn time. Lemme just get started.

I've always been using my computer somewhat frequently ever since I got ahold of a laptop for the first time out of high school and then eventually got my first iPhone, I welcomed myself into overusing the computer for unneccessary purposes and being in front of my phone, first to play Minecraft, a popular PC game several years back, but even more compulsively as a fashion community junkie (Polyvore.com which is now defunct and has been taken its old members and newcomer fashion lovers out into Shoplook.com by) Eventually the latter became such an issue even more than the former, the former leaving me in the hospital for a second time due to bipolar because of pulling all nighters doing projects to make the Minecraft game more interesting but then just hanging around on my computer building a genuine, toxic addiction to my computer making "fashion sets," a name for artistic digital put-togethers of fashion interest on Polyvore, also in fashion, beauty, or just plain digital expression. My mom kept trying to remind me of my addiction not being a good thing but because of falling into the abyss of inner addictive destruction, but it came to the point that I'd be so busy over the past few years from just barely making it out of community college after my studies capsizing to now, stuck with computer monitoring software at 29, still living with my mom, my addictions causing me to experience withdrawal with having to get off the computer and take advantage of self care and house responsibilities a lot of the time, and I just feel so awful trying to change myself and say I as much as won't use the computer in the morning and then get straight up out of bed, opening the monitor and getting going wasting time, not even searching for the new job I need ever since I currently quit (mainly for other reasons, but anyway). I feel awful. Nothing is happening, getting done, I'm not living up to my full potential, I'm guilty and my life SUCKS.
Any additional suggestions?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 12:32 pm

Obessions are easier to replace with another obsession rather than break them altogether. Obsessive repetitive behaviour is just a part of autism.

thestarseedsoul
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2018, 2:02 pm

Noca wrote:
Obessions are easier to replace with another obsession rather than break them altogether. Obsessive repetitive behaviour is just a part of autism.

I know what you probably might address as a underlying suggestion; find other good habits, like going back to drawing, painting, reading or whatever pastimes and turn them into "addictions" as a matter of discipline so that they become a positive way of indulging myself rather than computer obsessiveness. I even used this concept of what might replace what sub-categories of what I do with my computer to what excites me that's similar offline to the topics I'm involved in, listed in a diary entry as lists I might even pick up my diary to actually use....but to no avail.
I get so lost in the computer that nothing is useful to me, not even my own ideas.

My addiction is I think just about as serious as anything else in that matter, trying to say I'll "improve" when it's harder than people say I can change using other habits, whether the addiction be gambling, drinking, recreational drugs, what have you.

to act like it's easier to just replace an obsession won't help me entirely, but I do know what you're getting at. Thanks for being on my side, no sarcasm intended :D