Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm

Something I've always wondered: are people who habitually write using walls of text also especially good at reading them?

I suspect that, in general, this is not the case. So, regardless of any other measure of good English, it gives the impression that the writer assumes that it is acceptable to burden the reader with the extra effort of deciphering the post (especially when the standard of English is otherwise good, or there is a "sorry about the wall of text" closing the post!) I also think that not proof-reading/editing can rob the writer of the opportunity to clarify their own thoughts; I have often had revelations about my own opinions and arguments when attempting to clarify a post which came out ambiguous and badly structured at the first attempt.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 2:11 pm

Amen, brudda! If I'm going to ramble incoherently I'll do it in a private journal. Not ask other people to wade through it! But a possible explanation for the wall-o-text phenomenon at WP may be that the writer didn't expect anyone to actually read it. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 11:33 pm

Relatively few members in the whole membership write brick walls of text - thank goodness. I notice that when it happens it is most common in a new member writing a biographical post which they often place in the General Forum. But most new and old members don't hit our eyeballs with those bricks of text.

I don't believe it is an AS thing (it would be much more frequent here if it were). I've seen it in media reports, from time to time (shudder) and academic write ups of experiments (shudder).

My feeling is that the people doing it were never taught not to, or don't think it matters (it does). It's not just a style thing, because presumably people who post in brick wall fashion still want to be read, want to communicate and receive responses, but they negate the possibilities of dialogue by turning off potential responders from the outset.

The other thing that makes brickwalling text unpleasant for me is its resemblance to a monologue - as if the person is writing not only about themselves but perhaps to and for themselves.

I wonder if the wall texting writers speak the same way IRL, unknowingly battering listeners with "walls" of words and torrents of sentences... a communication style guaranteed to shut down and preclude possibilities of interaction because listeners quickly perceive that the monologue won't graduate to a dialogue - one hears people say "I couldn't get a word in edgeways" about monologue talkers.

The rules of paragraphs are fairly simple and totally accessible on the net for those who want to improve that feature, and just raising awareness is probably enough for those who hadn't previously thought about the habit of wall texting, because unless awareness is raised, it probably seems just normal to and for them.

The other thing about wall text writers may be that they have a tendency to write exactly what they are thinking, without an edit function that most people use consciously or subconsciously. Good writing depends on good editing, and the ability to self edit is usual for most of us, but not all.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 1:17 am

B19 wrote:
Relatively few members in the whole membership write brick walls of text - thank goodness. I notice that when it happens it is most common in a new member writing a biographical post which they often place in the General Forum. But most new and old members don't hit our eyeballs with those bricks of text.

I don't believe it is an AS thing (it would be much more frequent here if it were). I've seen it in media reports, from time to time (shudder) and academic write ups of experiments (shudder).

My feeling is that the people doing it were never taught not to, or don't think it matters (it does). It's not just a style thing, because presumably people who post in brick wall fashion still want to be read, want to communicate and receive responses, but they negate the possibilities of dialogue by turning off potential responders from the outset.

The other thing that makes brickwalling text unpleasant for me is its resemblance to a monologue - as if the person is writing not only about themselves but perhaps to and for themselves.

I wonder if the wall texting writers speak the same way IRL, unknowingly battering listeners with "walls" of words and torrents of sentences... a communication style guaranteed to shut down and preclude possibilities of interaction because listeners quickly perceive that the monologue won't graduate to a dialogue - one hears people say "I couldn't get a word in edgeways" about monologue talkers.

The rules of paragraphs are fairly simple and totally accessible on the net for those who want to improve that feature, and just raising awareness is probably enough for those who hadn't previously thought about the habit of wall texting, because unless awareness is raised, it probably seems just normal to and for them.

The other thing about wall text writers may be that they have a tendency to write exactly what they are thinking, without an edit function that most people use consciously or subconsciously. Good writing depends on good editing, and the ability to self edit is usual for most of us, but not all.

I believe it is an AS thing - it's simply that not everyone has every trait. (IMO YMMV) I also agree with whoever said it's the Aspie "info dump," trait. And yes, IMO, these same people do this verbally as you described & are oblivious to the social faux pas.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Aug 2018, 6:15 pm

Dyslexia & other related learning issues are fairly common with people on the spectrum. I have that problem. I'm NOT saying it's like this is most of the cases on here but it is probably more than the general population

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 6:33 pm

My WOT traits stem from believing that my theses need some set-up descriptions lest I leave the reader(s) wondering. After all, my ASD written assessment included the phrase that my "use of words or phrases tended to be more formal than that of most individuals" and that I use "overly formal language for the context."

But, it might also be something connected to my synesthesia remnants; who knows? My fingers have lives of their own, and have been know to write things that had nothing to do with my intended thoughts. Odd.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 9:57 pm

I can't recall ever having seen you post in walls of text without paragraphs, Aspie Utah. Your writing has been an exemplar in structure, style, clarity and grammar in all the years I have been here reading it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:10 pm

B19 wrote:
I can't recall ever having seen you post in walls of text without paragraphs, Aspie Utah. Your writing has been an exemplar in structure, style, clarity and grammar in all the years I have been here reading it.

Hm. Well, my short-term memories are still cascading in my mind, so I trust you more than my beliefs. I can't tell you how many times I wake up at night thinking that I need to do X, Y and Z before the week is out, only to realize that it was already done years ago. It is the strangest thing; like voicemail left unanswered for years!

I hope everything is well for you. :-)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2018, 12:07 am

I think people write like they type. ASD comes attached with a stream of words, so that's what you see. I try to paragraph where I can but I see no reason to sometimes on forums where I'm only writing between two and thirty sentences.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2018, 12:08 am

Sorry, meant to say, "write like they speak" and I can't edit it for some reason.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 7:09 pm

The thread 'The Autism Spectrum & Literary Styles' might be of interest:
viewtopic.php?t=381756

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 1:48 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
The thread 'The Autism Spectrum & Literary Styles' might be of interest:
viewtopic.php?t=381756

ADDENDUM: The thread, 'Postmodern Literature Is the Best Expression of What It’s Like to Be Autistic -
The Scattered Plots and Timelines of Books Like “Infinite Jest” Make Sense With the Way I Experience the World.' might be of interest.

https://electricliterature.com/postmode ... -autistic/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 10:20 pm

I often wonder how my writing style seems to the other members here.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 3:47 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I often wonder how my writing style seems to the other members here.

Your writing style doesn't draw attention to itself. Which is a good thing (no news is good news).

The way you say stuff is perfectly fine for the kinds of things that you talk about.

Since you don't seem to ever get longwinded (like many folks, like myself do) I wouldn't worry about it.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 12:55 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
What is it about WrongPlanet that draws people posting a wall of text? It's a crime that people aren't taught paragraphing, or even sentence-ending punctuation.

Guess style is a special interest of mine.

'Wall of text' is a very good description. A 'wall of text' discourages people from reading, and hence following-through in discussion threads!