Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rachelfran
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

My son is 17 and high functioning or asperger's .. we are in the northeast looking at music technology or music business majors in college ... I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for schools with support programs and this major OR support programs that work separate from the school? Someone suggested College Success Plan but I haven't talked to them directly about whether they've worked with anyone on the spectrum before.

Thanks for any input.

Rachel

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2018, 10:55 am

I graduated from a State School in Pennsylvania with a strong support program. Would not of finished without the help.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 5:01 pm

A lot of schools have strong disability service departments, so I would start by identifying schools of interest, and then interview them as to what support services they have.

I would also consider what your child's needs will be. My son really does not want support services, and only registered with the disability office when he found out there could be handwritten blue book tests in courses (he has disgraphia and needs to keyboard everything). When he was 17, I was very concerned about him heading off to school away from us, but somehow by the time he actually left he was ready. Last year he actually lived overseas for a year of schooling abroad, without campus housing. I could never have imagined. Still, back up options are good; you don't want your child to experience harmful levels of stress (stress is not something my son can navigate AT ALL).

My son is in the University of California system, btw.