need a job but keep stopping myself.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

williambrown
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2018, 5:04 pm

so i've filled out maybe a dozen applications over the past three years. usually i have no problem with this part of the process as it requires minimal communication, i get shot down at the interview stage, because of my lack of social skills. yesterday i picked up a new application and filled it out but afterwords i had this overwhelming feeling, like something would be wrong if I turned it in. it was terrible, i threw it away soon after. has anyone else experienced this?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:01 pm

Get some help from an agency that helps with employment, such as department of vocational rehabilitation, or sign up for a seminar on interviewing skills at workforce development agency.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 9:34 am

Or a contracting agency. They find you a job and no one knows you’re on the spectrum. At the end of the contracting period, you often get a chance to be hired permanently by the company.

And yes, always go with your instincts. Something must have been wrong with that company. Autistics are not often recognized for having superior social radar, but I have found this to frequently be the case.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2018, 9:47 am

I did have social issues.. something gave me confidence recently.. it could be either be the age or yoga and meditation plus ADHD meds. As well as self hypnotism which caused a real break through in social skills for me. I had none and then suddenly I was a whole other person as I was constantly around people when I landed a lead position at the age of 28. I was critical to the team and there was no looking back. Also learnt to drive which boosted my social skills. You’d wonder how? I think it taught me some kinda discipline and the whole watching and observing other drivers helped me break out of my shell amongst other things.

You’re young you’ll get there soon enough. All the best. Work hard. Build a good network.

Do you know what kinda jobs you’re looking for?

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 1:46 pm

How do you survive in America without having a job?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:00 am

Cafeaulait wrote:
How do you survive in America without having a job?

Some folks are living with their parents for decades into adulthood. In other cases, people receive disability income from the government. Still others are homeless and make do by panhandling, scavenging, and occasional short-term jobs.

None of these are optimal. In the majority of cases, if a person could work, they should work - but finding a situation that they can succeed at can be very tricky. In some cases, lifelong support by family or government is the best that can be hoped for.

Does that answer your question?