Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 5:33 pm

For the interview tomorrow, they sent a list of questions they will ask me and because the AmeriCorps positions relate to poverty and racial issues, they asked how I relate to these issues. I want to use an example I'm prejudiced because of bipolar and I've been living below the poverty line for years. I am interested in these positions, but my husband is not... They would require a huge move and my husband delaying his surgery. But this position pays more than the others (they say because of high cost of living) and my SSI will help and also if my husband gets his. I don't know.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:52 pm

To me your response is poor.

Instead of saying "I'm prejudice", I would say the opposite "I am not prejudice, it is part of my nature. I have no problems working with the poor because I am poor, I have been living below the poverty line for years. I do not have any problems working with people of other races." [I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but I think that is what you are trying to say.]

I don't think I would bring up any of the other issues about moving, your husbands surgery, or your families finances. If these issues would preclude you for performing this job, then why are you applying for it; otherwise it is irrelevant during the job interview.

Also I am not too sure I would bring up that fact that you are bipolar, unless it is one of the questions on your application form. Again would the fact that you are bipolar prevent you from performing this job?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Not sure what your question is here, if any.

Are you factoring into your calculations the drop in SSI award you will get when employed full time? The formula for this is online somewhere at Social Security website.

You need to be frank with your husband that with you as the sole income winner in the marriage, he may have to put up with some circumstances he doesn't like. I urge you to select the offer, if you have more than one, that you think has the highest likelihood of your being able to maintain the employment. This will build your resume for the future.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 9:31 am

Hey how did this go?

Don’t ever tell anyone in an interview about a medical condition. When I was working, I would regularly discard resumes of people who told me personal business. Even if it was about their kids or religion. One I had two guys in an interview round. One told me he was autistic. The other was obviously autistic but didn’t mention it. I hired the second guy. He was one of my best employees. Appropriate, kept his attention on his work.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
You need to be frank with your husband that with you as the sole income winner in the marriage, he may have to put up with some circumstances he doesn't like.

More like he should have fully embraced by now the fact that he has absolutely no say in anything, is entirely at her mercy and should be eternally grateful to her, or else he knows where the door is, and good luck getting his surgery.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 5:39 pm

I cancelled the interview because I realized there was no way I could move to Seattle at the beginning of next month. So that leaves the two I just had. One local, one I would have to relocate but they pay a relocation allowance and it's not horribly far away, but I liked the job much less. There are other positions I just applied to also that are more "job jobs" but I haven't been invited to any interviews for them yet.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020