Charlottesville riot anniversary party

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:28 am

Charlottesville, DC prepare for anniversary of violent rally

Quote:
Law enforcement officials in two U.S. cities are aiming to avoid a repeat of the violence that erupted a year ago in Charlottesville, Va.

“There seemed to be confusion as to who had authority to respond in a certain way,” RaShall Brackney, the new Charlottesville Police Chief, said at a July 12 community briefing. “We have a very clear, a very clear understanding from the top…as to what the expectations are, and the expectations are that there will not be the type of violence that occurred in this community that occurred last year.”

Charlottesville officials expect crowds to assemble for commemorative events around the city, but they haven't granted any permits for Market Street Park, the site of last year’s contentious “Unite the Right” rally. The organizer, Jason Kessler, withdrew a permit request to hold an anniversary event there and, instead, is urging followers to attend what he is calling “Unite the Right 2” in Washington, D.C. on Sunday.

Heads of agencies involved in protecting Charlottesville this weekend said they're preparing for any civil disturbances or unrest.

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam and the City of Charlottesville declared States of Emergency Wednesday, a move which allocates $2 million for response efforts and permits assistance from the Virginia National Guard.

Law enforcement personnel there will be operating under a Unified Command, made up of leaders from the Charlottesville Police Department, the Virginia State Police and the Charlottesville Fire Department. Officials from those agencies have declined to say how many officers will be active in Charlottesville during the weekend, but Virginia State Police Captain Craig Worsham said officers from his agency will be “very present.”

Brackney cautioned, however, law breakers aren't likely to heed city ordinances.

“Law breakers do not care about our ordinances, they don’t care about our legislation, they don’t care about statutes. Otherwise, they wouldn’t do the things that they do anyway,” Brackney said.

In Washington, D.C., the National Park Service approved Kessler’s anniversary event application for Lafayette Park, which is directly across the street from the North side of the White House

According to Kessler’s permit application, he expects a crowd of approximately 400 people. A National Park Service spokesperson said Wednesday that though Kessler’s application was approved, the permit is still pending. Multiple permits were requested for counter demonstrations set to be held elsewhere in the District.

The United States Park Police, United States Secret Service, the National Park Service, Metro Transit Police, and DC Metropolitan Police are all involved in securing the event.

“We intend to have the entire police department engaged to make sure that we handle this," MPD Chief of Police Peter Newsham said at a news conference.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:34 am

Yeah the most violence being committed by a white supremacist that ran people over. I mean I wish I could go to this party, but I live too far away in Colorado and am working on my own employment. But I respect their rally, yes go forward and organize.

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Aug 2018, 3:02 am

I'm from Charlottesville and we don't want these white supremacists coming to our city again. In addition to the vehicular homicide, they were attacking residents and going into neighborhoods and beating people. I was there after the rally and one street was covered with flowers for Heather Hayer, the woman who was senselessly mowed down. I have a friend who lives downtown and she was afraid for her life.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 9:47 am

Party? It was a TERRORIST ATTACK committed by vile reich wingers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 11:37 am

This whole story makes me so sad. Not only for the woman who was killed, but for the sorry state of race relations in America. Disenfranchised white losers resent the gains in finances and career that people who don't look like them have made, and they try to create a new Nazi movement. It makes me very sad that they have had some success.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 12:16 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Party? It was a TERRORIST ATTACK committed by vile reich wingers.

The “party” in the title was meant as sarcasm.

It was a terrorist attack that occurred during a riot.

Both sides were not nice people, they were people that came looking for a fight.

I do buy into the notion of the heroic counter demonstrators fighting facism. The Nazis are worse then Antifa because the Nazis want to kill me while Antifa “ only” wants to violently take away my right to free speech. But we are discussing degrees of vileness.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 12:23 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
This whole story makes me so sad. Not only for the woman who was killed, but for the sorry state of race relations in America. Disenfranchised white losers resent the gains in finances and career that people who don't look like them have made, and they try to create a new Nazi movement. It makes me very sad that they have had some success.

There most certainly was a major racist motivation for the “Unite The Right” rally but in my opinion the primary motivation was anti semitism. They did not shout “Blacks will not replace us” but “Jews will not replace us”. There are many cities with Confederate statues. I doubt that they picked a city with a Jewish mayor by accident.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 5:16 pm

The entire thing was an act of terrorism by reich wingers.

Cross burnings are illegal as well they SHOULD be - marching through towns with torches chanting "Jews will not replace us" SHOULD be illegal. Hell, the second is a lot more of an open threat than the first one - it's taking the cross burnings and making them public around their intended targets.

I don't care who saying that might offend. Going through town yelling any kind of threat should be taken seriously.

It's ILLEGAL for Nazis to fill the streets in Germany and it SHOULD be ILLEGAL in the States.

Do I care about encroaching on the rights of these vile monsters? F NO! They're scum and should be treated like it.

----------------

I agree that it was, or at least seemed to be, more anti semitic.

I may be wrong, I don't know how these groups work - but, I think anti semitism is at the heart of both the KKK and Nazism.

Both seem to be under the belief that there is a big JEWISH conspiracy and that Jewish people are using minorities (blacks, immigrants, lgbtq) as a way of undermining and fighting the white race.

Taken from that, it seems like the main target is Jewish people and the other groups they hate they see as pawns that they hate as well.

As said, could be wrong though - no idea how these groups think, I just think they should be treated as criminal organizations like they are in Germany.

I also think my generation, thank God, will be the ones who will implement a similar rule against Nazis and Confederates like they have in Germany.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 6:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I do buy into the notion of the heroic counter demonstrators fighting facism. The Nazis are worse then Antifa because the Nazis want to kill me while Antifa “ only” wants to violently take away my right to free speech. But we are discussing degrees of vileness.

Correction
I do not buy into the notion of the heroic counter demonstrators fighting facism. The Nazis are worse then Antifa because the Nazis want to kill me while Antifa “only” wants to violently take away my right to free speech. But we are discussing degrees of vileness.