Where can I find an online test for Broad Autism Phenotype?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 11:51 am

I've looked on Google for one of those online questionnaires or tests for BAP but I can't find one. There is information about it but it's rather scattered, and I prefer to tick off a checklist or take a test or something.

I know it's not used a diagnostic tool but I just wanted to take a test on it and just see what score I get, because now that functioning labels no longer exist (apparently), I feel like I'm too 'normal' to qualify for autism but I do have some of the symptoms, but all to a mild degree.

I don't want a PDF download as things on PDF aren't very mobile-friendly and seems to be read-only, and I'm looking for a list of things you can select.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm

The AQ test is okay. If you score above the normal neurotypical range but not high enough for the autism range, then that suggests BAP. The problem with the AQ test is that is relies on some stereotypes that aren't always true (ie that autistic people have a good memory for facts, etc).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 4:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've looked on Google for one of those online questionnaires or tests for BAP but I can't find one. There is information about it but it's rather scattered, and I prefer to tick off a checklist or take a test or something.

I know it's not used a diagnostic tool but I just wanted to take a test on it and just see what score I get, because now that functioning labels no longer exist (apparently), I feel like I'm too 'normal' to qualify for autism but I do have some of the symptoms, but all to a mild degree.

I don't want a PDF download as things on PDF aren't very mobile-friendly and seems to be read-only, and I'm looking for a list of things you can select.

Most people who were diagnosed with Asperger’s or HFA just get an ASD diagnosis instead. They don’t lose a diagnosis completely unless their functioning has improved to the point where they wouldn’t meet the criteria for the old labels. If you’re currently seeing a mental health professional, could you talk to him or her about it? If you’re not seeing anyone, you might want to consider it just to set your mind at ease.

I was diagnosed with ASD and am very high functioning. My comorbids make me lower functioning than I would otherwise be.

CultOfByron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2019, 1:41 pm

I don't think there is one anymore. There was an OKCupid one but that no longer works (not even on the wayback machine) and the best information regarding a quiz/test is here:Broad Autism Phenotype Questionnaire

I must admit, I find this liminal/fringe/borderline area very interesting and I am seriously thinking about creating a new interactive quiz/test as a part of my ongoing research. I'd love to know if anyone else would be interested in this.

To be honest, the apparent non-existence of the Asperger's diagnosis has reinforced the subjectivity of the diagnostic process particularly with regard to the higher-functioning and borderline experiences on the spectrum. I think it's important to remember that all human experience is on a spectrum, which is why the "broad autism phenotype" concept is important as the goalposts continue to shift (the Asperger's ground-beneath-our-feet disappearing.) Ultimately, what is the purpose of diagnosis for adults with, admittedly, minimal to no need for practical assistance? For me it is understanding the things in life that I've found challenging (predominantly social and intellectual.) It has not led to any form of assistance, counselling or therapy other than a very brief and self-requested spell on Prozac. Forgive me if I vent slightly :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:05 pm

Merriam-Webster says...

"Definition of phenotype: the observable properties of an organism that are produced by the interaction of the genotype and the environment."

Since autism does not have a definitive genotype, there is not likely a single, well-defined phenotype for autism.

HOWEVER, there are several on-line tests that may indicate general autistic traits, but keep in mind that they are inherently flawed, requiring subjective observations and untrained opinions.

You would be better off to consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 9:09 pm

CultOfByron wrote:
I don't think there is one anymore. There was an OKCupid one but that no longer works (not even on the wayback machine) and the best information regarding a quiz/test is here:Broad Autism Phenotype Questionnaire

I must admit, I find this liminal/fringe/borderline area very interesting and I am seriously thinking about creating a new interactive quiz/test as a part of my ongoing research. I'd love to know if anyone else would be interested in this.

To be honest, the apparent non-existence of the Asperger's diagnosis has reinforced the subjectivity of the diagnostic process particularly with regard to the higher-functioning and borderline experiences on the spectrum. I think it's important to remember that all human experience is on a spectrum, which is why the "broad autism phenotype" concept is important as the goalposts continue to shift (the Asperger's ground-beneath-our-feet disappearing.) Ultimately, what is the purpose of diagnosis for adults with, admittedly, minimal to no need for practical assistance? For me it is understanding the things in life that I've found challenging (predominantly social and intellectual.) It has not led to any form of assistance, counselling or therapy other than a very brief and self-requested spell on Prozac. Forgive me if I vent slightly :roll:

Very interesting questionnaire! If only the ASD ones had been that straightforward.