Differences Between High Medium And Low Functioning Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2018, 1:13 pm

Low Functioning: Those with severe Autism have an IQ below 70 and have problems with self-care and communication. Behaviors may severely affect day-to-day activities. Additionally, frustration about communication and sensory overload can lead to behaviors that disrupt others and may even cause harm to the individual. If forced to deal with a change in routine, an individual may become very angry. Many with low-functioning autism are non-verbal as well. No chance of living independently.

Medium Functioning: Usually have an IQ between 70 to 80. Adults with moderate autism often require assistance, but they can have some level of independence in their jobs and living conditions. When living alone, they may need some assistance from other people. May have problems communicating verbally but are capable of talking. They often appear "special" to other people. They're not impaired enough to be considered low-functioning but not intelligent enough to be considered high-functioning.

High Functioning: Those with high-functioning always have at least normal intelligence and often have above normal intelligence. Those with high-functioning have the capability of living independently. Many can hold down a job, go to college, and even get married. However because of their social skills challenges, they may have a hard time getting a job. They often appear "normal" to untrained neurotypicals but may be accused of being nerdy, rude, uninterested, or weird because of their differences.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 1:44 pm

I agree with OP, except I believe some MFA can have average or even high IQs. MFA are more diverse than LFA and HFA, because MFA could be affected severely with some of their symptoms whilst only being mildly affected by other symptoms, which can vary depending on the mood of the MFA person.

LFA are often non-verbal and are socially clueless in a lot of ways. Most LFA may require support or care throughout their lives, and usually have low IQs. Some LFA can learn social skills as they grow up but most LFA are non-verbal or if they can communicate they display similar level of social skills as a small child (like babbling or echolalia, etc).

HFA is a more complex part of the spectrum. HFA can sometimes also be known as Asperger's. Most HFA learn to talk at the average age, and some may not show many noticeable traits until they get older. Most HFA are often normal at some forms of interaction, and are more socially awkward than socially clueless. Most HFA are capable of taking part in mainstream society, although they can be more prone to depression and anxiety, which can be more afflicting than the ASD itself. But HFA are more better at communicating their feelings verbally and if they have a lot of normal social skills, their autism/Asperger's can get overlooked and so may not require the support they need, which is often the case with HFA.

That's how I see the spectrum. If you go on Youtube and look up some of the autism vloggers, you can see some of the differences between individuals with LFA, MFA and HFA.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:42 pm

I agree. Illustrative examples with actual people are an excellent way of gaining knowledge.

Diagnostic manuals do not reflect the individual person.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:47 pm

Well the OP definitely got it point on. I think I am in the middle somewhere xD

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2018, 4:55 pm

Can I get fries with that?

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2018, 7:00 pm

Aren't these definitions laid out somewhere?

MegaraUchiha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2018, 2:27 am

I didn't know there was a medium functioning.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2018, 6:34 am

MegaraUchiha wrote:
I didn't know there was a medium functioning.

In the US it’s level 1,2 and 3.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 9:17 am

The real question is the difference between low high functioning, and high mid functioning.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

Hi i was diagnosed with autism and ADHD in April of this year and my IQ is 75 i wasn't given a level so would I be medium or high functioning?

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

I'm level 2 and my overall IQ was tested at 115. I was in the 130s in verbal comprehension and above the 90th percentile in all three WAIS subtests for that area. I graduated cum laude with a degree in English. Academics were never an issue. Maintaining jobs and friendships are the issue. I also have some minor issues with independent living, like needing GPS to drive, and needing assistance understanding some complexities of government and insurance forms.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2018, 2:01 pm

I don't know if this I should official or not but I disagree that low functioning autism aligns with low IQ. People can have severe social disorders but still have a high IQ.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 2:13 pm

Of course they can.

You can have a genius IQ with severe autism.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course they can.

You can have a genius IQ with severe autism.

Yeah I know this one dude. He has classic autism and he can't speak a part from a couple of words. And it's hard for him to process language. He's like an animal in that regards.

But he took an IQ test, the Ravens one I believe, where there isn't that much of an emphasis on language, and he got like a 140 or 160?

The dude is smart but because he doesn't have access to language like we do, it's hard to utilize it.

Both his parents are doctors, so they're both probably smart people. Itz in the genes man.