Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MegaraUchiha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2018, 2:39 am

What if I have an update or correction? I don't see where I'd edit my post.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 10:47 am

You have a period of around five hours to edit your post, after which it cannot be modified.

A strange twist on this is that you have a much longer period (possibly infinite) in which you can delete your post, provided that no other post has been made in the thread since you posted. This wouldn't be much use though in a very busy thread.

By way of illustration, I modified this post by copying what I wrote here around eight hours ago, deleting that post, then pasting in and editing the original text, if that makes any sense...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:11 pm

Within five hours after submitting your post, there will be an 'Edit' button just to the left of the 'Quote' button in the upper-right corner of your post. Click that, and you can change your post to your heart's contentment.

Limiting the time during which a post may be edited discourages trolls from posting inflammatory comments, and then back-editing those comments to appear more innocent after other people have responded to it with their own inflammatory comments.

The most effective method, however, is to be certain that you submit a post in its final form before you click that 'Submit' button.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Within five hours after submitting your post, there will be an 'Edit' button just to the left of the 'Quote' button in the upper-right corner of your post. Click that, and you can change your post to your heart's contentment.

Limiting the time during which a post may be edited discourages trolls from posting inflammatory comments, and then back-editing those comments to appear more innocent after other people have responded to it with their own inflammatory comments.

The most effective method, however, is to be certain that you submit a post in its final form before you click that 'Submit' button.

If you have an update or correction to make after the edit time has expired, then just quote your original post (like I'm doing right now) and append your updates and corrections to the original post. Simple!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MegaraUchiha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2018, 8:25 pm

I don't see an edit button...?

Oh wait I found it. Thanks. Thats weird.