elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 1:02 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

... but finding out at 8, with her being such a determining part of the assessment process, I feel this is her information. She has full ownership of this.

Same with my son. He has ownership. I have never discussed it with anyone without his permission. He was seven when we did the testing and was involved in every decision starting with if we would even pursue testing. It is his internal brain, not mine, and that makes it an intensely private thing. We should all be able to choose how much the world knows of our own inner workings, IMHO.

Thanks for saying that. I am constantly arguing this point with my husband so glad there is someone else who thinks the same as me.

Fast forward to adulthood, where my son is now. His control over his own life and ability to develop true independence has been VERY important to him. He gives us a LOT of credit for the choices we made raising him. He knows far too many ASD individuals whose parents didn't make the same choices, and he has seen how quickly things can go wrong. He has expressed a lot of gratitude to us. Every situation is different, and Lord knows I questioned my own choices at the time, but I'm happy with how it all turned out. You've got this.

Thank you. You and asdmommyasdkid were there for me when I stumbled onto here not knowing up from down. I have always really appreciated that. Now, I am getting things right more often than I get them wrong. That is something!

Both my daughter and I have a lot of anxiety at the moment as she is moving schools. This has been a long term coming and on paper it is the right decision..... you know how it is.... you do your research, your planning, you make your choice and then.....you just have to hope it is going to work out for the best. I am not good at this rather passive "hoping" phase.