2/3 Of Americans Believe Racial Tensions Have Increased

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 6:15 pm

Full Subject Line:

Approximately Two-Thirds Of Americans Believe That Racial Tensions Have Increased Since Charlottesville

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/401450-poll-almost-two-thirds-say-racial-tensions-are-worse-one-year

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 9:43 am

Hmm. I really wonder. In this day and age, are these "tensions" real or manufactured by the press so they can get more readers? I don't feel any kind of "tension" in my town, but that's just me.

Spooky_Mulder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2018, 9:45 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Hmm. I really wonder. In this day and age, are these "tensions" real or manufactured by the press so they can get more readers? I don't feel any kind of "tension" in my town, but that's just me.

Guessing you’re white.

Not meaning you’re racist, just - it’s a blindspot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 10:05 am

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Guessing you’re white. Not meaning you’re racist, just - it’s a blindspot.
That's racial profiling -- a form of racism.

Journalists often slant a story or interject their own opinions to produce the kind of story that they want published. Journalists are little more than reporters with egos and the tendency to over-dramatize their stories beyond the necessary "Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why" -- that's why nearly every 'journalistic' story features an emotional reaction from anybody even remotely related to the victim(s).

Kevin & Kell™ had an interesting take on journalists this morning...

Spooky_Mulder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2018, 10:19 am

White People wouldn’t easily be able to tell if racial tension has increased for black people.

Straight people wouldn’t easily be able to tell if bigotry tension has increased for lgbtq people.

Bringing this closer, NTs have no idea what atypicals face.

One knows best their own sphere of influence which is based largely upon who they are personally.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 10:44 am

My mom thinks our country has gotten more racist since Trump has been in office. I have not seen anything about it yet to believe it. Just because we hear about it more doesn't mean people all of a sudden became racist. It's probably just being reported more and we have probably been noticing it more because of Trump.

It's like if you're pregnant, you start seeing pregnant women everywhere or you learn about autism, you start seeing symptoms everywhere. That doesn't mean more women all of a sudden got pregnant and that people all of a sudden started having autistic symptoms. There is a word for it but I forget what it's called. Cognitive dissonance?

I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/

Spooky_Mulder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2018, 10:52 am

League_Girl wrote:
My mom thinks our country has gotten more racist since Trump has been in office. I have not seen anything about it yet to believe it. Just because we hear about it more doesn't mean people all of a sudden became racist. It's probably just being reported more and we have probably been noticing it more because of Trump.

It's like if you're pregnant, you start seeing pregnant women everywhere or you learn about autism, you start seeing symptoms everywhere. That doesn't mean more women all of a sudden got pregnant and that people all of a sudden started having autistic symptoms. There is a word for it but I forget what it's called. Cognitive dissonance?

Here’s the difference, for bigotry against most to all minority groups:

Before Trump, bigots were always around and sometimes they’d act openly bigoted - they mostly didn’t make it as public though due to fear of repercussions.

After Trump, bigots are still around to the same degree (for many non-minorities it seems and IS more than they thought were there), but bigots feel they can be more open about it and are - ex: Charlottesville. Kkk and Nazis marching openly threatening Jewish people, they felt SAFE doing that due to Trump.

The difference being they feel safer making their harassment of us more public.

So while the number of bigots remain the same (I hope they’re not increasing) what is increasing is the belief that one can act more bigoted towards minorities without repercussions.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 10:57 am

I used to think my own country was one of the most racially tolerant places in the world. How stupid I was. If anything, it's worse than the US. That is our deep dark "secret". :x

It's like that everywhere. Humans are naturally intolerant and quick to use people who are different as a scapegoat for everything, like when Christians during the Middle Ages decided to just blame Jewish people for the plague.

Spooky_Mulder
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I used to think my own country was one of the most racially tolerant places in the world. How stupid I was. If anything, it's worse than the US. That is our deep dark "secret". :x

It's like that everywhere. Humans are naturally intolerant and quick to use people who are different as a scapegoat for everything, like when Christians during the Middle Ages decided to just blame Jewish people for the plague.

Guessing the UK? It’s coming to light that the far right have invaded both UK and US.

Or would it be Germany? It being that country would surprise a lot of people.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 12:57 pm

I've been maintaining a lower profile. And being more careful where I travel. I've been able to avoid all business travel since he was elected. I do think it is relatively safe to go to tourist destinations. Places where most of the jobs depend on tourism.