Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Could Susan Collins get elected in Texas? Could Joe Manchin get elected in California?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 11:02 pm

These days, it seems people are becoming increasingly drawn to people further to the right or left, and are fixated on ideological purity.

It leads me to this question: what chances do moderates/centrists have in the U.S.’s political future?

Could Susan Collins or Joe Manchin get elected in the established red and blue states, or only in the swing states?

Mythos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2018, 11:09 pm

They absolutely could. The question is; should they?

Centrists are often fairly reasonable but can come across as trying to play for both sides, which leads to fiscally conservative liberals or socially minded conservatives. As a result, it can be a bit like undoing what they've done as they fight to be two things at once. This seems fine, it's certainly going to lead to a safe four years, but very little will actually change. This is why you need people with stronger positions.

As a side note, I found Obama to be surprisingly conservative, as was HRC. I think America just generally needs a political overhaul, and young blood like Ocasio Cortez.