Losing interest in things, normal for an aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Randomer85
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

Should I greet you guys with an NT style header or skip the chit-chat - wish it was always this easy!

I've had many interests throughout my 30 year existence on this strange planet, building computers and being in a rock band as a lead guitarist to working on cars for a living and 'tuning' up track day cars. Most recently finished a filmmaking degree and started doing a house up... But everything is short lived, the interest fades pretty quickly and I'm left wondering what I'm doing in this world. Each time I lose interest, it tends to get harder to find a reason to be happy and the negatives are far easier to swallow as facts of the world. The sugar-coating of life becoming thinner and thinner...

Work colleagues talk at you about all the stuff that matters to them, non of which you care about in the slightest - Am I just a faulty voice-recorder?

Interest seems pretty damn hard to sustain. Is this normal for an aspie? Is the life of an aspie always a dire experience? Am I delusional?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

I lose interest in things sometimes.

Do you have strategies you use to regain the interest?

What I do when I get depressed and sad: watch YouTube videos of things I'm very interested in. Indulge myself, so to speak.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2018, 9:04 am

Im at that stage myself, Im trying to re-ignite the old interests that keep me going but its difficult. Sometimes its life getting in the way, others its my own anxieties stopping me. I recently discovered I am very OCD but not in the obvious ways but its still having a huge impact on my life so I think that in itself needs masses of work to sort it.

I make myself feel bad because I cant seem to do all the things I used to, but I dont really know how to overcome it. Ive got to get back into the 'doing a house up' phase because I never finished and that in itself is a big cause of the negatives.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:16 am

^^^Just curious: Have you learned the old Welsh language?

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2018, 9:18 am

Me? No I cant speak welsh sadly, Im going to try to learn though as my kids are fluent and its a beautiful language. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:19 am

Do they teach it in schools?

(sorry for derailing the thread)

Learning Welsh might just be a way to offset waning interests in things.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2018, 9:28 am

Yes its taught as the first language here so you have to adapt as kids and they do very well. I will use a website based program myself but of course Im not very confident with the pronunciation so that will take some work.