British Judge Rules school discriminated against autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 1:11 am

School discriminated against expelled autistic boy, judge rules

Quote:
Children with special needs who have been excluded from schools for aggressive behaviour linked to their condition are being discriminated against, a judge has ruled.

Judge Alison Rowley, sitting in the upper tribunal, said it was “repugnant” to consider such behaviour as “criminal or antisocial” when it was a direct result of a child’s condition and “not a choice”.

The tribunal in London upheld an appeal involving a 13-year-old boy with special educational needs who had been excluded from school because of aggressive behaviour that was linked to his autism.

The ruling could affect tens of thousands of children who have conditions such as autism or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Statistics show that children with special needs are at much higher risk than other children of being excluded from mainstream schools in England.

Noting that “aggressive behaviour is not a choice for children with autism”, Rowley found that a regulation under the Equality Act 2010 allowing schools to exclude disabled pupils for their behaviour without justification was unlawful and incompatible with human rights laws.

“To my mind it is repugnant to define as ‘criminal or antisocial’ the effect of the behaviour of children whose condition (through no fault of their own) manifests itself in particular ways so as to justify treating them differently,” said Rowley.

The ruling – on an appeal brought by the boy’s parents and the National Autistic Society, and backed by Equality and Human Rights Commission – means exclusion decisions involving pupils with a “tendency to physical abuse” will no longer be exempt from the scope of equalities laws.

Paul Whiteman, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, said schools were suffering from severe cuts to funding for special needs and disability provision and cuts to support services from local authorities.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 11:41 am

But what are those on the receiving end supposed to do, just take it? I'm not sure if mainstream education is the place for someone like that. (And I mean not sure.) Have a read of the comments on this video, though be warned, I found it genuinely upsetting and gained new sympathy for people with the condition who have this problem.

EDIT: It looks like the video I saw isn't on YouTube anymore. You can still find the incident, but not the one with all the comments or the explanation for why it happened. Basically it's an autistic dude who graduated and he got sent out to the graduation against his wishes because he knew what would happen, and it did, he punched a woman because of his condition. Despite being aware of this a disturbingly large number of people thought it was no excuse and he needed a beating to teach him a lesson and many thought he was a waste of air useless to society despite him clearly being good enough to graduate.

That is the attitude they'll be dealing with, and if there's no recourse for those on the receiving end then they're going to "beat the autism out of them" as someone said in that video. Since in the video it's a guy hitting a woman, the responses are particularly hostile. I wouldn't put it past parents in such a case to threaten the safety of such an autistic student if they hit a female student and were male.

Last edited by Drake on 16 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

My initial post has been edited.