To all those learning German and fluent German speakers)

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2018, 1:42 am

For those learning German: how 'bout writing about stuff here in German with English translation and see how that goes? Maybe it'll be easier to learn the language that way) (It would be nice if fluent German speakers would correct us, though)

Ich liebe Deutschland: Deutsche sang, Deutsche wissenchaft, Deutsche genauigkeit - Deutsche alles)!
I love Germany: German songs, German science, German exactness - German everything)!

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

I am a native speaker of the German language. I am willing to help

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2018, 2:27 pm

Kühl! Wie ist Deutschland? Mögen sie dort gerne philosophieren? Ich höre, dass sie sehr diszipliniert sind und die Wissenchaft lieben. Ich mag auch die Wissenchaft (Physik, Philosophie und Geometrie), bin aber weit davon entfernt diszipliniert zu sein...

Cool! How is Germany? Do they like to philosophise there? I heard, they are very disciplined and like science. I also like science (physics, philosophy and geometry), but am far from disciplined...

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:43 pm

Ich bin sehr weit davon entfernt als diszipliniert bezeichnet zu werden, aber die Wissenschaften sind meine Leidenschaft

I am far from being considered disciplined, but the sciences are my passion

As for the word “cool”, we mostly just say the word itself without translating it!

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2018, 1:51 pm

'Tis interesting, how they say "far from being disciplined" - "weit davon entfernt diszipliniert" ) Does "bezeichnet zu werden" mean being considered?

I know weit - is far (from Eisbrecher's "Herz aus eis"), so davon must mean from, and entfernt - being?

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:56 pm

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
'Tis interesting, how they say "far from being disciplined" - "weit davon entfernt diszipliniert" ) Does "bezeichnet zu werden" mean being considered?

I know weit - is far (from Eisbrecher's "Herz aus eis"), so davon must mean from, and entfernt - being?

Genau
Exactly!

Warum willst du Deutsch lernen, wenn ich fragen darf?

Why do you want to learn German if i may ask?

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2018, 12:22 am

Nun das ist für mich immer noch ein Rätsel.
Aus irgendeinem Grund klingt es manchmal so nah an meinen stimmungen...
Ich erinnere mich an das erste Mal, als ich "sprechen sie Deutsch" hörte, ich dachte, es sei Russisch (meine Muttersprache), die ich falsch verstanden hatte :lol:

Well, that's still kind of a mystery to me. For some reason, it just sounds so close to my moods...
I remember the first time I heard "sprechen sie Deutsch", I thought it was Russian (my mother tongue), which I had misheard :lol:

(Not sure that translation was accurate, 'cuz there are some capitalised words, like Mal and Grund)

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 4:26 am

We capitalize our nouns, so it is correct, yes

Deutsch ist eine faszinierende Sprache, wenn man gewillt ist hart daran zu arbeiten

German is a fascinating language if one is willing to work hard on it

Friend_of_Sankt_Veit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2018, 8:24 am

In my part of the US many people use a dialect of German as their first language. It is called Pennsylvania Dutch (mispronunciation by Americans of Deutsch). Also Low German is spoken here somewhat widely still in rural areas (this is a language not quite High German and not quite Dutch, spoken in the North of Germany).

Here is my own composition.

En Rotsel:

En Maun: Gifft dat hier een, de Engelsch kann?

Aunda Maun (he schmustren): De Huntje, he slöpt 'nunja de Bööm enn däm Lannen von tieen Sachen de Blomen.

En Maun: Huh? Gifft dat hier een, de Engelsch kann?

(my Low German is not good, not my first language, sorry for any grammatical errors)

A Riddle:

A man: "Can anyone speak English here?"

Another Man (he smiles to himself, i.e., "I'll show him"): "The little dog sleeps under the trees in the lands of the ten kinds of flowers."

The first man (now confused): "Huh? Does anyone speak English here?"

(This is my sorry attempt at humor and it loses something in the translation, but it just goes to show you how different a language can be/sound, even if it is grammatically similar to English or High German).

Jlekj! Good luck with your studies!

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2018, 11:10 am

Ich habe das Rätsel nicht richtig gelöst. Interessant. Ist Hochdeutsch sehr anders als Niederdeutsch? Kann ein Dialekt sprechen, um die anderen zu verstehen?

Didn't quite get that riddle there. Interesting. Is High German very different from Low German? Can speaking one dialect be enough to understand the others?

Friend_of_Sankt_Veit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Oct 2018, 7:27 am

High German is a somewhat different language than Low German, rather than a dialect. I am not really sure of the classification, but it always seemed to me that Low German is closer to Dutch, Frisian, or English.

In Ohio, Low German is spoken by the Mennonite religious group, and a dialect of High German called Pennsylvania Dutch. These languages tend not to be grammatically correct like a textbook and have a lot of local flavor, depending on the region. I think it is called 'low' due to the fact that the region in W. Europe is low land, but I can't be sure about that. Pennsylvania 'Dutch' is a mispronunciation of the word Deitsch, the name of the German dialect for the German language (Pfälzisch dialect/Palatine dialect). It is the first language for many Amish and Lutherans, as well as Mennonites, and in many parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania is used more frequently than English. However, many people go back and forth between Low German, High German, Pennsylvania Dutch, and English in everyday speech.

My mom's family came from Saxony (Sachsen) for centuries and Jitschin (Jičín) before that, so I was required to learn some German growing up, but it is a very hard language for me and my memory of it is bad. I do much better with Slavic languages or languages from India (Indo-Aryan termed by linguists). This is in terms of confidence level in speaking. To make it more complicated, my relatives from Saxony often enjoyed traveling extensively in the 50s and 60s from East Germany to other countries and back, and they liked South America a lot (according to family lore), eventually ending up there. So Spanish can be added to the list, lol. I think that they enjoyed Germany quite a lot and life there, and we are planning to meet the relatives at some point in the near future.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 4:40 pm

Ich lese den Deutsche Sprache ziemlich gut, ich kann es aber nicht sehr gut sprachen oder schreiben, weil ich habe fast niemals dass praktikieren - fast alle meine Wissen des Deutsch kommt aus lesen der deutschen Romanen allein.

I read the German language quite well, but I cannot speak or write it very well, because I have almost never practised doing so; nearly all my knowledge of German comes solely from reading German novels.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

Cool! Und welche Bücher liest du gerne? Bis zur High School liebte ich die Fiktion. Dann wurde es irgendwie müde, also lese ich jetzt mehr Artikel und so weiter im Internet ...
Aber manchmal schreibe ich gerne selbst. Es ist schön, Orte zu erfinden, an denen man gerne wäre.

Cool! And what books do you like reading? Up 'till high school, I used to love fiction. Then, kinda got tired of it, so I now read more articles and stuff on the internet...
But sometimes I like writing myself. It's nice to make up places you'd like to be in.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 9:46 am

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
Cool! Und welche Bücher liest du gerne? Bis zur High School liebte ich die Fiktion. Dann wurde es irgendwie müde, also lese ich jetzt mehr Artikel und so weiter im Internet ...
Aber manchmal schreibe ich gerne selbst. Es ist schön, Orte zu erfinden, an denen man gerne wäre.

Cool! And what books do you like reading? Up 'till high school, I used to love fiction. Then, kinda got tired of it, so I now read more articles and stuff on the internet...
But sometimes I like writing myself. It's nice to make up places you'd like to be in.

Ich lese meist gern der Romane des Hermann Hesses und Thomas Manns. Ich habe auch Faust des Goethes (erster Teil) und ein bischen der Dichter des Rilkes gelesen.

I most enjoy reading the novels of Hermann Hesse and Thomas Mann. I have also read the first part of Goethe's Faust and some of the poems of [Rainer Maria] Rilke.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm

Hallo meine Deutschsprachigen Freunde! Ich heisse Stampy und ich bin auf Deutsch II in der Schule. Fröhliche Weinachten an alle, die feiern!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 5:37 pm

Man muss auch hier eine Ubersetzung auf Englisch geben.

You have to give an English translation, too.