Autism Can Mask the Warning Signs of Suicide

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 9:57 am

Autism Can Mask the Warning Signs of Suicide

Quote:
Clinicians may wrongly assume that people on the spectrum don’t have complicated emotions, or they may discount their outbursts, says Paul Lipkin, the director of the Interactive Autism Network at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, Maryland. “These children feel a normal range of emotions as other children, but [they] don’t do it in a typical way, and they’re not necessarily taken as seriously because they have a wide range of emotions showing already,” he says. Doctors also misinterpret self-harm—a classic warning sign for suicide in the general population—as a part of autism.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 4:15 pm

It'a a good article

Wreck It Ralph

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 4:24 pm

But I was once misdiagnosed with depression because of meltdowns with self harm stims, and mid meltdown shouting that I sometimes just wanted to die (What I say mid meltdown isn't true most of the time).

I really wasn't depressed, just very frustrated.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:01 pm

Arganger wrote:
But I was once misdiagnosed with depression because of meltdowns with self harm stims, and mid meltdown shouting that I sometimes just wanted to die (What I say mid meltdown isn't true most of the time).

I really wasn't depressed, just very frustrated.
There is also an important difference between cyclical depression which is what most people have and are familiar with and situational depression where we just get so overwhelmed and frustrated that we are depressed only in the moments when the situation is actually occurring. I struggle from the second kind, situational depression. So once I am out of the situation I recover right away. So even if I truly become suicidal in the moment, once the moment has passed and the situation has been resolved, I have an immediate recovery.

Wreck It Ralph