Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 4:46 pm

I know there's Blue Bean with her SRT but how many auto enthusiast women are there around here? Of course bikes/motorbikes/planes/boats/jetpacks/space stations etc. factor in I'd say. I actually meet a good number but I'm always looking to build more common ground on the subject regardless of where it goes socially since I've been car obsessed basically my entire life. I just figured some of us love speed & gizmos enough to obsess over it in this forum; ladies first. Are station wagons sexy? :lol: Fast ones at least?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 15 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2018, 4:49 pm

Im one but Im out of practice and need to get back there quick as its just not something I should have ever thought was ok to give up. The price of trying to blend, well screw that its not worth it.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:00 pm

I blend :oops: wherever a small Volvo counts as a sleeper.

For the purposes of this forum I need something sportier but it's not just for me to say how I should choose. :scratch:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 10:17 pm

Saw an ad for some local drag races coming up. I wish I had the right car to get out there on the quarter mile. Put the foot down and go ......

solo
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2018, 11:56 pm

cberg wrote:

For the purposes of this forum I need something sportier but it's not just for me to say how I should choose. :scratch:

I’m a dude so sorry about that part. Rare to find any ladies that turn wrenches or like cars. I really only got interested in what you posted when I read Volvo..... I hope to build a 2 door turbo brick sleeper, p1800 gasser or a ‘60s 122 wagon some day...

Buddy met his lady at the track, they are pretty rare and mostly country girls in my part of the U.S.A.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 1:14 am

In HS I dated a Miata girl, it didn't really go anywhere but hats off, she was a better mechanic than I am.

I just met a guy at a show with a B20 1800 coupe, he had a custom molded asymmetrical harmonic balancer fan on the crank. Best one of those I've seen.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2018, 3:13 am

cberg wrote:

Oh hang on lol when I said 'blend' I meant shed my natural grease monkey self and go into a profession where i had to wear suits :D I take it 'blend' means something else here in your context. Sorry if that was a bit confusing.

I love 1970's rallye cars most. The Opel Kadett Coupe was my fav and I had 3 of them. I sold the best one before doing it up due to life and Im still kicking myself about that because you cant get them now anywhere.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 6:40 pm

'70s edit: I'm a Datsun lunatic. My 1st car was a 5 speed Nissan Prairie/Stanza MPV.
I'm planning on a hatch spoiler, skidplate and mudflaps on my Volvo, as well as a software tune, airbox, intake manifold and exhaust. A turbo upgrade would be great but as long as mine spools smoothly the software will be plenty. I've had my wagon sideways more times than I care to admit but the center differential lockup clutch is pretty rad. What I miss is my Saabs. I need a 9-3 Viggen now; mine were a 900SE coupe and a *beater* high output 9-3 5 door with an upgraded turbo recirc valve and Viggen clutch. My 9-3 was WAY faster than my newer wagon at the top end.

I also want to start hypermiling; if my next job is cool enough I was thinking about a new Civic, Accord, Golf R or a used semi-autonomous Volvo. Above all I want adaptive cruise control with a manual but I'd give up shifting for something nicer from euroland. The real dream is a 7 speed Porsche 4S.

solo
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm

I like the Stanza, only thing I would do with it would blend the front doors with a pnother set of fronts, move the door jams back and convert it to a 2 door. Assuming that there isn’t a 2 door version that was produced. After building my current car, I have realized that it is cheaper to get a gutted roller and start from scratch. Starting with a low mile mint car, upgrading engine, Trans, rear end, interior and a few outer parts just isn’t practicle lol. But I do have some spare aluminum v8s that would go nicely under the hood of that Datsun :wink:

I have never met a single car girl in my life, always in a relationship. Doesn’t really matter anymore, being self employed leaves me no time for women or cars really anymore

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 2:25 pm

I'm not interested in cars in particular but I get satisfaction out of fixing things. I would rather make a repair myself when possible than have a mechanic do it. A lot of mechanics try to rip women off. One wanted $125 once to change a serpentine belt. When I asked why so much, he said he had to buy a special wrench. It is not my responsibility to buy his tools. I bought a Chilton book, and changed the serpentine belt in 10 minutes with a crecent wrench, my own limb, and a wire hanger to loop it around the under side of the pully. The entire cost was the cost of the Chilton manual and I have gotten very good use out of it since.

Since then I have had an autobody shop try to replace a perfectly good turn signal on the undamaged side and tell me they had to replace the entire door to get rid of a scratch that was there when I got the car. I told them to leave it. I have had a transmission place tell me my transmission had to be replaced....it didn't and 20 years later still works, and a mechanic tell me I had a bad alternator, replace it, and refused to refund my money when the problem continued to persist...it was actually due to a loose wire. His shop is now out of business. Another mechanic wanted $90 to replace a coolant temperature sensor on my mothers car. This is like replacing a lightbulb. I refused to pay for it and walked my brother through how to do it instead. I was going to replace the broken handles on her doors but she refused to drop the car off out here. It was very dangerous for her to drive it as it was and I wanted it repaired properly so I had her take it to the dealer but sure enough they did a price jack up after they made the repair. That was very unfortunate for them because a few months later her timing belt broke and the engine seals were leaking and my siblings and I decided it was time she had a new car. That dealership did not get our business.

It can be very difficult to find an honest dealership or mechanic but they do exist.

I find automotive boards are full of misinformation about even basic things about cars. Most people do not know how to properly jump a car, or charge a battery, or warm up an engine on a car that has been sitting for a long time. Machisimo I suppose.

To me, a car is purely functional though and not part of my identity or status value in any way.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 7:54 pm

^^ I love the Chilton books. I used to do a lot of my own work too. My dad and brothers were transport drivers and did all their own car work and some of the trucks. I had an Austin and then a Toyota in the pre-computerized days and changed own oil, belts and thermostats too. And car handles! The Austin was “interesting “ as British wiring was horrible. Blew out fuses constantly. Try turning a corner, shifting gears and hand signaling the turn because brake lights, turn signals and defroster were on one fuse. But it was fun! I miss driving the manual transmissions but left hip couldn’t handle rush hour traffic in the city. I kept my last minivan going 11 years with lots of arguments and complaints at the repair shop. Because of them, regrettably I will never buy a North American vehicle again. I love driving.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:33 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
^^ I love the Chilton books. I used to do a lot of my own work too. My dad and brothers were transport drivers and did all their own car work and some of the trucks. I had an Austin and then a Toyota in the pre-computerized days and changed own oil, belts and thermostats too. And car handles! The Austin was “interesting “ as British wiring was horrible. Blew out fuses constantly. Try turning a corner, shifting gears and hand signaling the turn because brake lights, turn signals and defroster were on one fuse. But it was fun! I miss driving the manual transmissions but left hip couldn’t handle rush hour traffic in the city. I kept my last minivan going 11 years with lots of arguments and complaints at the repair shop. Because of them, regrettably I will never buy a North American vehicle again. I love driving.

I think the Chilton manual was one of the best investments I have ever made. The only system I would not work on myself given a place and the tools to do it would be the fuel system, because I work alone and would have no one to extinguish me should I catch on fire.

At my current location I cannot do the brakes or radiator but that's fine as I know of a good brake place and good radiator place that my family has been going to for decades.

My brother had a vintage British sports car he intended to restore but he got rid of it as it was a death trap.

My own car is American...not by choice, and has lasted a surprisingly long time, but I don't drive much these days. As for cars I have seen that just keep going, that would be the 1994 Honda Civic and any 2000s Toyota Camry provided they are properly maintained.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:38 am

One of the reasons I started this thread was my dismay about some guys not including any women around this stuff. I'd encourage everyone to discuss the positive instead of focusing on what's excluded us from the car & broader social communities.

I don't care so much what goes into maintaining a car as what it really does. I should say the same for people.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 6:34 am

cberg wrote:
One of the reasons I started this thread was my dismay about some guys not including any women around this stuff. I'd encourage everyone to discuss the positive instead of focusing on what's excluded us from the car & broader social communities.

I don't care so much what goes into maintaining a car as what it really does. I should say the same for people.

This is the reality of how I started fixing my own cars. I think if you would like an inclusive car talk environment then you are going to have to accept that different people repair/have an interest in cars for different reasons. My cousin liked to race cars. My friend had no choice but to repair his own cars. Some people like the idea of precision performance or power. And then some people like me don't like getting ripped off, and it's not my fault mechanics try to rip me off.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:54 pm

I think a lot of people are pretty frugal even when we do go for the most car we can. There's always a cheaper way to build something even if it's fast. I drive a Volvo so they're always trying to rip my mechanics off! Good thing I'm not yet into Porsche!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

Chronos wrote:
To me, a car is purely functional though and not part of my identity or status value in any way.

I see where you're coming from although I also think the right design or driving experience can express a lot. Some of us get more attached but that's probably because we want this to be more fun for everybody.