Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:17 pm

I’ m not sure if everything scares me, but certainly a lot of things make me anxious. Often they’re quite irrational or over things most people would take in their stride/not see as something to get in a state over.

Current one whether to go to my gt granchild’s christening or not. The irrationality over clothes for the christening. Do i put on the clothes for the christening as soon as I get up or put ordinary clothes on first and the smarter clothes later? Once the christening is over and I’m back home do I change back into my ordinary clothes or wear the smart clothes for a few days ? People who weren’t f****d in the head wouldn’t get into a state over something like that. Some of it has to do with routine ie how it will affect my washing routine. I have a certain routine for doing my washing and I get anxious at the thought of it being deviated from.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

What time is the Christening?

Once you get home, you should change into your regular clothes. If you get home late at night, like if there are meals and get togethers afterwards and it's late when you get home, go ahead and change into your sleeping pajamas. If your smart clothes are not dirty, like if you only wore them a couple of hours, you won't need to clean them. If you were in them all day or a couple of days, then you should clean them.

It's ok for you to be confused by these things. We will help you. Don't feel bad about it.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 2:49 am

skibum wrote:
What time is the Christening?

Once you get home, you should change into your regular clothes. If you get home late at night, like if there are meals and get togethers afterwards and it's late when you get home, go ahead and change into your sleeping pajamas. If your smart clothes are not dirty, like if you only wore them a couple of hours, you won't need to clean them. If you were in them all day or a couple of days, then you should clean them.

It's ok for you to be confused by these things. We will help you. Don't feel bad about it.

Thanks @skibum
I am not sure what time the christening is. I am beset by a mix of persistent catastrophic thinking and social anxiety. People often think I am intelligent, but I get thrown by what most other people would see as being the most inconsequential , and simplest, of things.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 9:40 am

You are welcome.
I understand. That has nothing to do with how intelligent you are. You could have a higher than Mensa IQ and still have this issue.

The reason I asked what time the Christening is is that it would help me help you to know when to get dressed for it. If it is in the morning, put on your nice clothes for the event right away when you wake up and wash up or whatever your morning routine is. If it is in the afternoon or evening, I would get dressed for it right before you leave to attend it and just wear your regular house clothes until then.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 10:10 am

It will be around 12.15 pm .

orbiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2018, 10:36 am

I know how you feel.

I take a camera to formal family gatherings but explain that I will have a theme for the day, which might be old doors, windows, paths, gates etc. My family are reasonably understanding and oftentimes they appreciate that I am recording the setting rather than the people. I do wander off at some point and people generally get that, someone wandering with a camera is not regarded as rude or unusual.

A camera is my number one prop at all formal gatherings that I cannot excuse myself from. I am trained in fine art painting but I think also that people appreciate someone taking in the setting, especially as nobody else really has the time, being caught up in the social stuff.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 10:57 am

@orbiter . Are you a good photographer? I've never been much good at it. I did have a digital camera but lost all the paraphernalia that goes with it when I moved .

orbiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

Hi Firemonkey.

I might be one of the world’s worst photographers, though I have learned that any photograph should have one good shadow in it. Also, given the starring role of shadows, it does not matter so much what level of camera you have. I think Computer Exchange sell used hand-sized cameras for only a small amount of cash. I mean, my favourite digital camera of all time is now selling for £12 in there. Getting something interesting out of an older camera is more satisfying. I don’t use film, only old digital cameras I find here and there. 6-8 megapixels is a lovely image size to start with and these are also the cameras that are super cheap these days.

As I say I am plagued by gremlins (I average one interesting photograph in every thirty attempts). But taking photographs is just taking a walk and no one can ever really see what you can see, so there is no arguing about any of it. Besides this, the camera shifts everything to its own way of seeing anyway.

The main advantage of a camera for me is that I can look confused and lost in thought and people understand, because they can’t take photographs either.