Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 4:41 pm

The following is a list of Acronyms and Abbreviations used on the Wrong Planet website.

24/7 = 24 hours per day/7 days per week
A&E = Accident and Emergency
ADA = Americans with Disabilities Act
ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
aka = Also Known As
AQ = Autism-Spectrum Quotient
AS = Asperger Syndrome
ASAP = As Soon As Possible
ASC = Autism Spectrum Condition
ASD = Autism Spectrum Disorder
ASPD = AntiSocial Personality Disorder
Aspie = a person with Asperger Syndrome
BAP = Broad Autism Phenotype
BAPQ = Broad Autism Phenotype Questionnaire
BD = Bipolar Disorder
BP = Blood Pressure
BPD = Borderline Personality Disorder
btw = By The Way
b/w = black and white
CBT = Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
CMHT = Community Mental Health Team
CPS = Child Protective Services
D&D = Dungeons and Dragons
DBT = Dialectical Behavior Therapy
DD = Dear Daughter
DH = Dear Husband
DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder
doc = doctor
DS = Dear Son
DSM = Diagnostic and Statistical Manual
DW = Dear Wife
DX = Diagnosed
ECT = ElectroConvulsive Therapy
EIQ = Emotional Intelligence Quotient
EQ = Empathy Quotient
EMB = Extreme Male Brain theory
ER = Emergency Room
fMRI = functional MRI
FTE = Full Time Equivalent
fwiw = for what it’s worth
fyi = for your information
GI – GastroIntestinal
HFA – High Functioning Autism
HS = High School
HSP = Highly Sensitive Person
idk = I Don’t Know
IEP = Individualized Education Program
IKWYM = I Know What You Mean
imho = In My Humble Opinion
imo = In My Opinion
IQ = Intelligence Quotient
kiddos = children
LD = Learning Disabled
LFA = Low Functioning Autism
lol = Laughing Out Loud
MD = Medical Doctor
MDD = Manic Depressive Disorder
meds = Medicine
MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MS = Multiple Sclerosis
ND = NeuroDiverse or ASD brain
NOS = Not Otherwise Specified
NPC = non-player character
NT = NeuroTypical or Normal brain
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
OCPD = Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
OD = OverDosed
OP = Original Poster
otoh = On The Other Hand
PANDAS = Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections
PC = Personal Computer, Politically Correct
PCP = Primary Care Physician
PDD-NOS = Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified
PITA = Pain in the Ass
PM = Private Message
PMDD = Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
POA = Power of Attorney
ppl = people
PS = PostScript, Playstation
Psych = Psychiatrist or Psychologist
PTA = Parent Teacher Association
PTSD = Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
RPG = Role Playing Game
rTMS = repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
sci-fi = science fiction
shrink = a clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, or psychotherapist
SO = Significant Other
SPD = Sensory Processing Disorder
SPS = Sensory-Processing Sensitivity
SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance
SSI = Supplemental Security Income (Social Security)
STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
SQ = Systemizing Quotient
ToM = Theory of Mind
TS = Tourette Syndrome
TV = Television
VR = Vocational Rehabilitation
WP = Wrong Planet
x = times
yo = years old

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 4:54 pm

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. -- Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:00 pm

Have often thought that this site should have a spot on its banner page that newcomers (and everyone) can click that's labeled something like "Guide to Wrongplanet Speak" , or "glossary of commonly used abbreviations here" that lists those very terms.

"24/7" is pretty much a universal American term, and is not peculiar to autism websites.

I noticed the term "DX", and quickly adopted it myself for posts here. But then stopped using it because surprisingly large numbers of folks DONT know that it means "diagnosed", and need you to spell it out.

At one time I honestly thought folks were talking about "Black American Princesses" (like JAP) when they used "BAP". Lol!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

ALEX - Aspie Leader EXtraordinaire

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2018, 6:47 pm

Impressive list, wish I had more. Maybe PSM. Just for starters.. :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Impressive list, wish I had more. Maybe PSM. Just for starters.. :lol:

PSM = phenomenal self-model
The self-model is the central concept in the theory of consciousness called the self-model theory of subjectivity (SMT). This concept comprises experiences of ownership, of first person perspective, and of a long-term unity of beliefs and attitudes. These features are instantiated in the prefrontal cortex. This theory is an interdisciplinary approach to understanding and explaining the phenomenology of consciousness and the self. This theory has two core contents, the phenomenal self-model (PSM) and the phenomenal model of the intentionality relation (PMIR).

PSM = propensity score matching
The next analyses considered differences between previously diagnosed and currently diagnosed children in the characteristics of the children around the time of the initial diagnosis and in how the initial diagnosis was obtained. To maximize statistical power, we wanted to match previously diagnosed and currently diagnosed children on demographics, current autism symptomatology, functional limitations, and psychiatric comorbidities and then look for differences between the matched pairs. Because of the limited size of the pool of possible matches and the many matching variables, propensity score matching (PSM) was used to control for these differences between children previously diagnosed and those currently diagnosed. Conceptually, PSM is a statistical attempt to replicate a randomized controlled trial—with the only difference being some children had lost their ASD diagnosis while others were still currently diagnosed—despite using observational and cross-sectional data. The propensity score itself was the probability that a given child had been previously diagnosed with an ASD but no longer carried the diagnosis, which was estimated through a logistic regression adjusting for covariates that would predict the likelihood a child lost their diagnosis.

PSM = Physical sensory and medical difficulties
Hearing and visually impaired, and those with physical and/or medical conditions such as cerebral palsy, extra small or large stature, limblessness, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis and so on.

I am not quite seeing this abbreviation. Which PSM was discussed in WP?

RandomFact
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Thanks for putting together the list. Here are a few others I was able to think of:

ADOS = Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule

ICD = International Classification of Diseases

GAD = Generalized Anxiety Disorder

MBTI = Myers Briggs Type Indicator

NEET = not in education, employment, or training

OMG = oh my God

SAD = Social Anxiety Disorder
(can also stand for Seasonal Affective Disorder, but that may be a less common usage on WP)

SJW = Social Justice Warrior
(This is not an acronym I personally would use, as it tends to be applied in a somewhat derogatory way. But it regularly shows up on WP and elsewhere. The first time I saw it, I spent forever trying to figure out what it meant.)

Stim/Stimming = self-stimulatory behaviors

Also, I recommend an edit to the ND definition to note that it can also stand for neurodivergent. I agree that most people seem to use ND to mean neurodiverse. It is also the term used when displaying scores on the popular Aspie Quiz. But there are some who say neurodivergent is the better term when referring to a single individual: http://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodi ... finitions/).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 8:32 am

"We... are the knights who say "NEET"!"

"NEET! NEET!"

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

jimmy m wrote:

PSM = phenomenal self-model
The self-model is the central concept in the theory of consciousness called the self-model theory of subjectivity (SMT). This concept comprises experiences of ownership, of first person perspective, and of a long-term unity of beliefs and attitudes. These features are instantiated in the prefrontal cortex. This theory is an interdisciplinary approach to understanding and explaining the phenomenology of consciousness and the self. This theory has two core contents, the phenomenal self-model (PSM) and the phenomenal model of the intentionality relation (PMIR).

PSM = propensity score matching
Conceptually, PSM is a statistical attempt to replicate a randomized controlled trial with the only difference being some children had lost their ASD diagnosis while others were still currently diagnosed despite using observational and cross-sectional data. The propensity score itself was the probability that a given child had been previously diagnosed with an ASD but no longer carried the diagnosis, which was estimated through a logistic regression adjusting for covariates that would predict the likelihood a child lost their diagnosis.

PSM = Physical sensory and medical difficulties
Hearing and visually impaired, and those with physical and/or medical conditions such as cerebral palsy, extra small or large stature, limblessness, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis and so on.

I am not quite seeing this abbreviation. Which PSM was discussed in WP?

Sorry, I was referring to Pms and that's definitely in there somewhere in the Women's manual section of menstruation.
I'm actually going through a lot of pain right now with cramping, I didn't know all that with PSM, but now I'm glad I do! Cheers friend O:-)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:45 pm

LMAO-Laughing My A** Off

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2018, 5:46 am

That's a good list tbh, but you forgot the most important abbreviation of all time tbh

TBH -- To be honest.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2018, 7:08 am

RandomFact wrote:
Thanks for putting together the list. Here are a few others I was able to think of:

ADOS = Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule

ICD = International Classification of Diseases

GAD = Generalized Anxiety Disorder

MBTI = Myers Briggs Type Indicator

NEET = not in education, employment, or training

OMG = oh my God

SAD = Social Anxiety Disorder
(can also stand for Seasonal Affective Disorder, but that may be a less common usage on WP)

SJW = Social Justice Warrior
(This is not an acronym I personally would use, as it tends to be applied in a somewhat derogatory way. But it regularly shows up on WP and elsewhere. The first time I saw it, I spent forever trying to figure out what it meant.)

Stim/Stimming = self-stimulatory behaviors

Also, I recommend an edit to the ND definition to note that it can also stand for neurodivergent. I agree that most people seem to use ND to mean neurodiverse. It is also the term used when displaying scores on the popular Aspie Quiz. But there are some who say neurodivergent is the better term when referring to a single individual: http://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodi ... finitions/).

I was going to mention the GAD and SAD too. Thanks

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

IMHO FWIW AAUTM ?

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 8:01 pm

Am I the only one who thinks, when they first see WP, that it means Word Perfect? :D