Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

I'll try to keep this short. i want to go out and make friends, but i get super anxious about meeting new people.

can anyone offer tips on how they manage their anxiety?

thanks!! :heart:

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 3:55 pm

I personally just assume I'm not going to go through anything particularly awful. Generally, social interactions will often end in no worse than somebody being turned off speaking to you. If you never knew them prior, there's no loss. This is pretty much worst case scenario as well. What's more is that in social groups, all people are different. There'll be people you really like, people you really dislike, and anything in between. In social groups I've been to, I've never met people who are malicious. I guess this is because they're all after the same thing; people to talk to, maybe bonds to form. There's no reason to be anxious about that, and if one person just happens to dislike you in what I think is unlikely, you've lost nothing.

Good luck!

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 10:04 pm

mythos, thank you for sharing your perspective! it is very reassuring; you're right, nothing terrible will happen. it's just my mind gets carried away, haha.

i have a couple of gatherings i hope to attend this week :heart:

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2018, 12:02 am

No problem, I hope it all goes well. :)