psychiatrists don't know how to treat patients with autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

c0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2018, 12:48 am

psychiatrists and psychologists and all shrinks don't know anything about autism. They are rich people who take advantage of people when they are most vulnerable. They are used to neurotypical people with neurotypical problems. When I was in college everyone that majored in psych was insane. So far I've been labelled intermediate explosive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenic disorder etc etc. It's all bs as far I'm concerned. I don't talk to myself or go through those bipolar phases. I don't know what intermediate explosive disorder is but I got diagnosed with it and don't know what it is. Just because I got angry and broke some silverware doesn't make me explosive lol.

I'm glad I quit "therapy" though. I feel much better.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:56 pm

I disagree. Not all psychologists and psychiatrists have a specialty skill in autism, but claiming none of them know what to do is painting them with too broad a brush. I would hate to have people avoid needed help because one disenchanted patient dissed the profession on an internet forum.

LadyLucifer

18 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I disagree. Not all psychologists and psychiatrists have a specialty skill in autism, but claiming none of them know what to do is painting them with too broad a brush. I would hate to have people avoid needed help because one disenchanted patient dissed the profession on an internet forum.

I agree. During my off season, I stay in suburban town where there is only 5 psychiatrists I can afford. Out of the three I have seen 2 of them knew what autism was and knew how dangerous it can be with certain antidepressants. What I would suggest, during your intake session, mention it so its in your file. I feel if you forget to mention that, they will be less likely to consider it. Also be sure to communicate with them almost regularly when your on new meds. What I would do is as soon as I feel something different (positive or negative) write it down and after two or three days message your psychiatrist about what is going on.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Aug 2018, 4:05 pm

Yeah, just like any profession, there are fantastic people who will be able to help you as well as ones that will do more harm than good. And they certainly aren't all rich. A lot of them don't even make all that much.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 5:29 pm

alex wrote:
Yeah, just like any profession, there are fantastic people who will be able to help you as well as ones that will do more harm than good. And they certainly aren't all rich. A lot of them don't even make all that much.

Saying that psychiatrists all don't know anything about ASD just because you had a bad experience with one is like saying all mechanics are bad because the one you hired forgot to put oil back into your engine after he drained out all the old oil.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here