Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2018, 3:45 pm

I have found closets with pillows, sensory items, and stuffed animals make a great escape. Add sensory soothing music and soothing lighting and I am in Heaven on Earth. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Does anyone else want to share what kind of escape you have or want when overwhelmed with life?

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 4:12 pm

This reminded me of a small under stairs cupboard I had in a previous house when I lived alone. It was too small to sit upright in, but just the right size to curl up in, I filled it with pillows and took off the latch so I couldn’t accidentally lock myself in and found it my perfect recovery spot when I’d been at work all day and was drained from all the interaction. I would pull the door to and revel in the soft darkness of it. I miss it a lot. Would love to have such a space in my life now.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 4:38 pm

Medieval Box-bed

This is how they managed to live in single room cottages :-) (not to mention staying toasty warm in winter. I guess they left a door or vent open in summer.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 7:47 pm

One of my psychologists recommended the closet, only mine is an antique armoire, (not quite as antique
as Esmeralda's box bed) not suited to the task. :cry:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 8:12 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Medieval Box-bed

This is how they managed to live in single room cottages :-) (not to mention staying toasty warm in winter. I guess they left a door or vent open in summer.)

I wanted one of these beds so badly when I was young. A friend and I drew up plans on how to build one.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 8:13 pm

My son has turned the large,storage closet in his apartment into his escape room. Like others here, he lined it with pillows.

Blue Thunder

18 Aug 2018, 8:35 pm

I've noticed I actually sleep better in an enclosed closet than a queen sized bed. I get little sleep and wake up depressed if there is too much space around me. Might explain why one side of my bed was covered with pillows and a 6 foot teddy bear eventually.

RandomFact

18 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

This is not really the answer you are seeking, but my first thought upon seeing this thread was that there must be a gay interior designer who would love to take on the challenge. We in the LGBTQ community spend so much of our early lives fighting to come out of one type of closet. What better way to reclaim positive regard for closets than to help an Aspie who wants to make a very different sort of closet into their own private escape.

Alas, I will not be the one to provide the assistance. When I was being programmed for homosexuality, someone forgot to include the interior design skills that are stereotypically supposed to go with it.

(Sorry for being slightly off topic.)

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 11:24 am

Isolated headphones :wtg:

Recommend Sennheiser.

Great escape!

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

As a child it was always my closet. Then the basement storage room. I was always dreaming of 'my own space'. Then when I moved at 15 to live by myself (in a family owned home but without my parents) I actually hated the actual house. I could never sleep there. I would just walk around all night outside to escape the feeling of someone potentially breaking into the house.