Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2018, 5:23 pm

Any android gurus around. My phone is saying my internal memory 16gig is almost full with just a few mb free space even though I store everything on my SD card and only really use internal storage for phone stuff like apps and I only have a handfull of them. Its causing the phone to run really slow but I just cant see whats causing it. When I browse the phone on my PC, all the stuff I can see only amounts to 220 mb when I select the contents of the phone folder but when I select the the whole folder it says only 68mb free out of 16gig.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm

Get the app called "File Manager" and then go to the "Storage Analyzer" section, hopefully that shows what's filling up your phone. A large part of it could be the android OS. What's your phone's manufacturer and who is the service provider (both factors affect the OS)?

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2018, 7:11 pm

Ive already browsed the phone with file manger and also did it on my pc with same results. Theres no way android would use 16 gig, its usually around 5 or 6 gig I think from memory and i remember having quite a few gigs space on the phone a while ago. Im not sure why the carrier and phone make would matter but its a Landvo V11 and the carrier is O2 via giffgaff. All that I can see on the phone are the standard files and folders that should be there and they only add up to 220mb of data. I can only assume its some sort of malware hidden somehow. I have it set to show hidden files but still nothing out of the ordinary. I cant even install or update any apps cos of lack of storage. All my pictures, videos and anything like that are stored on my external sd memory which only add up to just under 4gig.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 8:40 pm

Perhaps this is the problem...
I have a 64 GB Samsung Galaxy, and my internal storage has a maximum of 53.50 GB, with the rest just not being recognized. I think the missing 10 GB might be for some software, perhaps it's not visible because of how the drive is partitioned, but android OS shows up as taking about 4 GB on my phone out of the 53.50 so it shouldn't be. I didn't notice this until now.

I find myself wondering about this too now. :?:

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2018, 9:14 am

Yea thats normal to get less than advertised, its just the way the computer counts the bytes in decimal form I think so you get a 40gb drive and it will only have about 37, Im only guessing the numbers but you get the idea. Basically you never get the amount advertised but mine is a completely different problem, Im guessing malware but Im open to suggestions, thanks

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 9:56 pm

Have you considered factory reseting the device?

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2018, 6:53 pm

Factory reset is absolute last thing I wanna try unless I really have too. If I cant get it sorted then thats what I will have to do but I would rather try to sort the problem if I can without any drastic action.

tfw7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2018, 12:59 pm

there's an app I have called "disk usage" that shows storage quite nicely

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 5:42 pm

andyfzr wrote:
Factory reset is absolute last thing I wanna try unless I really have too. If I cant get it sorted then thats what I will have to do but I would rather try to sort the problem if I can without any drastic action.

I did a factory reset on my cell phone lately. I dreaded doing it and it was a pain in the neck to add the contacts back in, but overall it is running better now than before.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm

Look for disk cache in the setings. click on it say yes delete. this will free up space
for the system to run better. slowly the disk cahe gets full and that can slow it down. use
the app setting see what takes space and remove programs you do not use much. no you can not remove the google play and the other google named programs on a locked phone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Sep 2018, 3:33 am

My droid 4 is supposed to be 16gb but after an android update, it now says the max is 8gb. The OS only recognizes half the space I'm supposed to have. Perhaps something similar is going on with you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2018, 1:56 pm

If you look in your Options, there's an option in there for Storage and that will tell you exactly which applications or data is using the most storage space. It's easy.