Should social security be voluntary?
Yes 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
No 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 19

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

At the very least, should social security be something that citizens can voluntary opt into? Personally, I am against social security, and I think it needs to be phased out; but, at the least, I think people should be allowed to choose whether or not they want to invest into social security.

Personally, I know I can utilize my money much better than the government, so that I may have a good retirement. Meanwhile, with social security, I will never get my money. I know there's those that support it and want to use it, so fine, they should be allowed to if they really want to; but, personally, I really do not like paying into social security and would rather keep my money.

What are your thoughts on social security? Should it, at the very least, be something that citizens can voluntarily opt-in for? Would you support phasing it out entirely or privatizing it?

On a side note
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

No.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm

AspE wrote:
No.

Elaborate?

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 9:53 pm

One aspect of social security, an original intent, was to create a "pension" of sorts for working people. The result of such a plan would be the reduction in the of millions of people who wouldn't have otherwise saved money on their own volition being utterly destitute. Elderly beggars on the streets.

I think a good compromise would be for those who could prove that they have no need financially for collecting social security to opt out at some point. That doesn't work either, however. In my experience, people who are very wealthy feel it's important to reap in collecting social security from what they've sown (withholdings) all the years they worked.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 10:21 pm

Magna wrote:
One aspect of social security, an original intent, was to create a "pension" of sorts for working people. The result of such a plan would be the reduction in the of millions of people who wouldn't have otherwise saved money on their own volition being utterly destitute. Elderly beggars on the streets.

I think a good compromise would be for those who could prove that they have no need financially for collecting social security to opt out at some point. That doesn't work either, however. In my experience, people who are very wealthy feel it's important to reap in collecting social security from what they've sown (withholdings) all the years they worked.

That sounds like an interesting compromise. Coming from a poor family, it would be nice to be able to save that extra cash from each paycheck, but at the same time, I suppose many others would just spend the money.

Perhaps by default people should be in social security, but can have some kind of waiver or process of opting out? Not too different from what I had in mind, but I think it could work.

I can't help but to also wonder if most people will even be alive by the time they're eligible for social security, therefore paying into it for nothing. :?

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 2:49 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
Meanwhile, with social security, I will never get my money.

It appears the US population will keep growing, so there should be plenty of (hundreds of millions more) new participants paying in to cover you when you get old.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 2:58 am

No! Next question. We don't live in an anarchist society.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 5:19 am

First, my guess is that you listen to someone like Dave Ramsey who has advocated this on his radio show. I have listened to him too and in fact, have followed his baby steps with very good results. If one does follow what he has to say, then social security it redundant. However, I would say only about 5% most of the working population works for him.

Since Social Security is an insurance program (not an entitlement), what exactly does the insurance cover:

Retirement
This is the part most people know about. Once you reach a certain age and have worked enough years (required to work 10 years), you will receive a retirement check each month. The amount depends on your income up to a certain limit and is regardless of what assets you have (although it you get too much income, you will pay income tax on those benefits, even if you already paid income tax on the deductions).

Spousal/Child Support
In the event of your death, Social Security will send to your spouse and those who support your children a check to cover their expenses. The spouse gets a check unless they remarry and the children until they are 18 (or for the rest of their lives if they are disabled). This makes sure that the family is not left destitute from the bread winners death. Note that this is different from SSI which is an entitlement program rather than insurance.

Burial
This is the least known benefit and that is because it is really laughable due to the fact that the amount was set in the 1930s and never indexed to inflation. When you die, your family gets $255 to bury you.

So, without social security, one would have to cover those things themselves. For retirement, you will need to be putting money regularly into the retirement accounts or personal investments. For family support, one will need to get (and be able to get) a reasonable amount of life insurance. For burial, again that would be personal assets or life insurance. Now, many financial people such as Dave Ramsey recommend the above already but remember, only a small portion of the population actually listens to those people.

So would people do what is required to protect themselves and protect their families if they were allowed to opt out of Social Security or would they spend the insurance funds on a brand new car that is lugging a huge payment book? What happens if people do not do the above and opt out? Will they demand that the government uses entitlement programs to take care of them and or their families anyways?

Now, there are issues with the social security system. I will discuss them at a later point. We however need to take into account human nature of a large portion of the population and the fact of the matter is, most Americans cannot delay pleasure. With that in mind, I do not think Social Security should be opt out today.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 3:38 pm

demeus wrote:
First, my guess is that you listen to someone like Dave Ramsey who has advocated this on his radio show. I have listened to him too and in fact, have followed his baby steps with very good results. If one does follow what he has to say, then social security it redundant. However, I would say only about 5% most of the working population works for him.

Since Social Security is an insurance program (not an entitlement), what exactly does the insurance cover:

Retirement
This is the part most people know about. Once you reach a certain age and have worked enough years (required to work 10 years), you will receive a retirement check each month. The amount depends on your income up to a certain limit and is regardless of what assets you have (although it you get too much income, you will pay income tax on those benefits, even if you already paid income tax on the deductions).

Spousal/Child Support
In the event of your death, Social Security will send to your spouse and those who support your children a check to cover their expenses. The spouse gets a check unless they remarry and the children until they are 18 (or for the rest of their lives if they are disabled). This makes sure that the family is not left destitute from the bread winners death. Note that this is different from SSI which is an entitlement program rather than insurance.

Burial
This is the least known benefit and that is because it is really laughable due to the fact that the amount was set in the 1930s and never indexed to inflation. When you die, your family gets $255 to bury you.

So, without social security, one would have to cover those things themselves. For retirement, you will need to be putting money regularly into the retirement accounts or personal investments. For family support, one will need to get (and be able to get) a reasonable amount of life insurance. For burial, again that would be personal assets or life insurance. Now, many financial people such as Dave Ramsey recommend the above already but remember, only a small portion of the population actually listens to those people.

So would people do what is required to protect themselves and protect their families if they were allowed to opt out of Social Security or would they spend the insurance funds on a brand new car that is lugging a huge payment book? What happens if people do not do the above and opt out? Will they demand that the government uses entitlement programs to take care of them and or their families anyways?

Now, there are issues with the social security system. I will discuss them at a later point. We however need to take into account human nature of a large portion of the population and the fact of the matter is, most Americans cannot delay pleasure. With that in mind, I do not think Social Security should be opt out today.

Unfortunately I've never heard of him.

What I've done is planned for an early retirement by 40, working an easy/fun job after that. By investing early and maintaining a low-risk, long-term, diverse portfolio, I will one day be able to safely draw from that, instead of working until I'm on my deathbed (like my grandmother, who is unable to survive on social security alone). So surely, if I'm all set, I shouldn't need to be forced to pay, and instead be able to say, "Hey, I'll be fine. If I end up homeless because I dropped out of social security, then so be it -- here's a waiver to ensure that I won't press charges."

I do see what you're saying about the family thing, but should the government really be governing our personal lives? I know that the rate of having two working parents is increasing, and so if the dad buys a car and screws his career and neglects the family in doing so, then surely the wife would be able to continue on and continue living. I still think, at the least, social security should be voluntary (I did find out earlier that there are allegedly legal ways to avoid paying it and being exempt, but I guess it's difficult to do so since it's not really supposed to happen?).

But you do make a good point. There are a lot of irresponsible individuals or people that just slip up and make the wrong choice for a myriad of other reasons. So you do have me thinking about that a lot more now, maybe my mind will be changed.

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 4:15 pm

demeus wrote:
First, my guess is that you listen to someone like Dave Ramsey

I've watched most of his youtube videos.

Our best self-retirement options are Roth 401k and Roth IRA.

Presently, you can save $18,500 into a Roth 401k and $5,500 into a Roth IRA.

That's $24,000 / yr growing TAX FREE.

I work with late twenty/early thirty olds with close to $300,000 in their 401ks because of the stock markets quadrupling over the last 8 years.

Here Dave explains Roth 401ks

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 19 Aug 2018, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 4:30 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:

It appears the US population will keep growing, so there should be plenty of (hundreds of millions more) new participants paying in to cover you when you get old.

I am sorry I missed this post.

I'll either be dead (which even if the social security eligibility age stayed the same, this is the likely scenario) or it won't be any good to me is the problem -- and I certainly don't plan on working until I'm nearly 70.

Also there's the social security deficit. What are y'all's thoughts on the deficit?

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 5:24 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:

I am sorry I missed this post.

I'll either be dead (which even if the social security eligibility age stayed the same, this is the likely scenario) or it won't be any good to me is the problem -- and I certainly don't plan on working until I'm nearly 70.

Also there's the social security deficit. What are y'all's thoughts on the deficit?

Social Security is a pyramid scheme.

Mostly, as long as the ratio of workers to recipients is large enough then it's financially stable.

Here is SSA projections of workers to recipients until year 2095.
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr/2017/lr4b3.html

You can see "low cost", "intermediate", "high cost" assumptions.

In the "low cost" assumption, the ratio of workers to recipients is much higher than the "high cost" assumption.

That's my opinion. Worker growth will eventually outpace recipients as the larger "boomer" generation dies. Maybe they do this will increased immigration, or raising the retirement age to match increased longevity, or slightly changing benefits to affect retirement decisions. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It might be happening somewhat today with the super-low unemployment.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 5:49 pm

Thomas Paine first popularized "an old-age pension and basic income or citizen's dividend[,]" which is now known as Social Security https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine#Agrarian_Justice.

Of course, the tax scheme at the time was based on interstate commerce and excise taxes when goods crossed boundaries into other states for sale. So, if every state is playing along, it would work well, especially for states with many residents. Less populous states would simply raise their excise taxes to compensate for any losses that they experienced.

I voted no on the survey because, while the Paine ideas would have worked; and the excise-tax scheme did work until it was scrapped for federally operated income taxes during the U.S. Civil War, and permanently in the early 20th century. Voluntary federal taxation would make the rich and powerful even more rich and powerful leaving little in the federal coffers to pay its bills, let alone the disability and retirement costs.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 6:46 pm

Nope. It should not be voluntary. It was initiated because someone noticed and cared that much of the population was unable to save, given their salary levels, but that the long term interest on a small biweekly set-aside could provide a decent income in old age.

Of course, it was rigged - the age to qualify for benefits was set well above the average life expectancy at the time! (Edit in: they're trying that one again, inching up the age to qualify for full benefits so that many won't live to collect if they take mainstream advice and wait for the biggest benefit.)

And of course, it didn't keep pace with inflation.

But, to take a homely example, I am now retired. I have a pension, yes I'm lucky - sort of - it's merely 20% of the best I ever earned, which means they designed it to be inadequate to support life. So I also draw from an IRA, and again I'm lucky, because I did get to direct which of several funds to invest in, and I'm cautious so I didn't lose my shirt in '08. And I collect my SocSec, because I can, and because I don't expect to live much past 73.

Please note, I pay Federal income taxes on all of these, and state income taxes on all of them too. So I am hardly a non-contributor, even though retired!

Now - if I didn't have the SocSec, even with 35 years of retirement planning and saving, I'd be living on about 37% of my best earnings. As it is, I live on about 56% of same. So I'm living in a lower-COL area, and I'm budgeted up the wazoo.

I shudder to think what I'd have to live on if Bernie Madoff, or Wells Fargo, had been given access to my life savings by a complicit political posse. As it is, I feel terrible for friends and colleagues who lost huge amounts in the '08 crash, especially the homeowners. Many of them do have to postpone retirement, and some may never retire.

Surely that's not what you'd wish on all of us?

As for the deficit, it's a fabrication. Raising the cap on FICA-taxed income would fix it in ten minutes.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 6:55 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Nope. It should not be voluntary. It was initiated because someone noticed and cared that much of the population was unable to save, given their salary levels, but that the long term interest on a small biweekly set-aside could provide a decent income in old age.

Of course, it was rigged - the age to qualify for benefits was set well above the average life expectancy at the time! (Edit in: they're trying that one again, inching up the age to qualify for full benefits so that many won't live to collect if they take mainstream advice and wait for the biggest benefit.)

And of course, it didn't keep pace with inflation.

But, to take a homely example, I am now retired. I have a pension, yes I'm lucky - sort of - it's merely 20% of the best I ever earned, which means they designed it to be inadequate to support life. So I also draw from an IRA, and again I'm lucky, because I did get to direct which of several funds to invest in, and I'm cautious so I didn't lose my shirt in '08. And I collect my SocSec, because I can, and because I don't expect to live much past 73.

Please note, I pay Federal income taxes on all of these, and state income taxes on all of them too. So I am hardly a non-contributor, even though retired!

Now - if I didn't have the SocSec, even with 35 years of retirement planning and saving, I'd be living on about 37% of my best earnings. As it is, I live on about 56% of same. So I'm living in a lower-COL area, and I'm budgeted up the wazoo.

I shudder to think what I'd have to live on if Bernie Madoff, or Wells Fargo, had been given access to my life savings by a complicit political posse. As it is, I feel terrible for friends and colleagues who lost huge amounts in the '08 crash, especially the homeowners. Many of them do have to postpone retirement, and some may never retire.

Surely that's not what you'd wish on all of us?

As for the deficit, it's a fabrication. Raising the cap on FICA-taxed income would fix it in ten minutes.

I said it should be voluntary so that we can choose to leave social security. I didn't say that it should be abolished; I just think we should be allowed to choose if we want to pay into it, and not go to prison (or beat to death or shot for resisting arrest) for not wanting to be involved with it. It's just not pleasant, the thought of being held at a metaphorical (which can quickly become a literal) gunpoint to pay into something that I think I could better utilize that money for other investments. I certainly wouldn't want to take this program away from others that do like social security, so they should by default be kept in it and be allowed to stay enrolled. I know it might sound a little bit paranoid, but people have been gunned for a lot less (and I don't plan on breaking the law, just to be clear).

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

Hyeokgeose wrote:
I said it should be voluntary so that we can choose to leave social security.

In the UK it's mandatory, but that also means you get benefits if you're out of work, sick, and so on and so forth.