Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 7:05 pm

Do you folks know of any Aspies in office, any level of office and anywhere in the world?

Personally, one day I aspire to be mayor of my town, I consider it my hometown even though I've moved a lot, I love it, very nice place. It would be good to have someone to look up to, someone who is a diagnosed Aspie in office.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 10:51 am

Well, I'm a parish councillor. About the lowest political office available in the UK, but still, it's an office. :D

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 2:47 am

The mayor of Taipei. He's known for bluntly saying what he thinks and not playing the usual political games. Before this he was an ER doctor.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 4:39 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
The mayor of Taipei. He's known for bluntly saying what he thinks and not playing the usual political games. Before this he was an ER doctor.

FEATURE: Discussion continues on Asperger syndrome
Quote:
Asperger syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder characterized by difficulties in social interaction and communication, has been thrown into the media spotlight since fiery Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), a self-proclaimed sufferer of the syndrome, took office and vowed to usher in drastic changes.

Heated discussion has surrounded the developmental disorder, particularly after a diplomatic faux pas in late January, in which Ko, after receiving a pocket watch from British Minister of State for Transport Susan Kramer at a public event in Taipei, told reporters that he might give the watch to someone else or “sell it to a scrap metal dealer for some money, because it would be useless to me.”

Supporters of the surgeon-turned-mayor, who is known for often making off-the-cuff remarks, are quick to cite Asperger syndrome to justify Ko’s comments, while others accuse the mayor of using the disorder as a pretext for deliberate rudeness.

The last paragraph is very familiar to any reader of this or any other autism spaces.

There is not nearly enough information here to even hazard a guess if his self-diagnosis is correct.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman