What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 12 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 41  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 6:24 am

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 7:07 am

Love Pie!

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 2:13 am

More and more talk that the Cabinet will ask her to leave this week. Liddington & Gove unsurprisingly the 2 tipped to take over

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 3:55 am

Letwin Amendment passes (heavy defeat for Govt) and so tomorrow MP's take control of the Brexit process away from the PM for a day and will run a series of indicative votes to hopefully come up with a consensus around what there is a majority for.

The results they find though may well be something the EU said from the very start is not on offer, or the PM could choose to ignore the whole thing, or they may find there is no majority in any of those votes anyway (I think CM V2 may end up doing well - not with hardcore leavers though)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 6:09 am

Mogg now saying he will vote for the PM's deal. That is the deal that he said would leave the UK in a worse position than being in the EU and said it would make the country a 'slave state'

These people have absolutely no backbone and no shame at all :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

To be fair to the ERG members who are coming around, the failure isn't them agreeing to sensible compromise - it's their refusal to compromise earlier.

Yes, May's deal doesn't make many people truly happy - but it respects the result of the referendum, where half the people wanted to stay and half the people wanted to leave. I'm not happy that this is where we are, but after the shambles of the referendum it would be unfair on the leavers if we didn't leave and I recognise that, pragmatically, compromise was necessary. Remainers have done nothing but compromise for the past two years. Most Leavers have shown no inclination to compromise. In the past week, Remainers have started to get fed up and threatened to cancel Brexit, so the Leavers have finally agreed to compromise. Great negotiation tactics.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 5:36 pm

May's deal is worse than staying in and does the polar opposite of respecting the result of the referendum. It keeps us prisoners of the EU. It was British law to leave with or without a deal on Friday but ReMayner put pay to that. Her deal isn't a compromise, it's worse than staying in and that's saying something.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 3:37 am

The_Walrus wrote:
To be fair to the ERG members who are coming around, the failure isn't them agreeing to sensible compromise - it's their refusal to compromise earlier.

Yes, May's deal doesn't make many people truly happy - but it respects the result of the referendum, where half the people wanted to stay and half the people wanted to leave. I'm not happy that this is where we are, but after the shambles of the referendum it would be unfair on the leavers if we didn't leave and I recognise that, pragmatically, compromise was necessary. Remainers have done nothing but compromise for the past two years. Most Leavers have shown no inclination to compromise. In the past week, Remainers have started to get fed up and threatened to cancel Brexit, so the Leavers have finally agreed to compromise. Great negotiation tactics.

Yeah agree with that. I read something yesterday that was quite good about how no deal was never on the table before the vote but it has become normalised over the last 2 years to the point some of the louder voices claim they were always up for that (even when there is proof they weren't) but now that some prominent remainers have started doing the same with the idea of revoking it has sent Leavers like Mogg into quite a panic.

I am not a fan of May's deal at all, and I am not a fan of how this has been done but I have said all along I don't agree with a 2nd vote. With the vote as it was and then the Tories giving away their majority it always had to be a compromise. Her deal respects the vote and there is much more to come over the next 2 years if it goes through and we have the transition period. The next PM could be much more important to how Brexit goes than May tbh

I do find it ironic that it was often pointed out during the ref debates that leaving could make us much worse than we were and that was poo poo'd by arch Leavers as being an outrageous thing to say, and now the poster boy for Leave says he will vote for a deal which he himself says leaves us worse than being in the EU. well who'd of thought it eh?!

DUP still saying they will not support the deal though, and Mogg reportedly only takes around 10 or so with him, by that logic she still doesn't have the numbers. Things change though

Found it interesting that yesterday Sammy Wilson said he would prefer a 1 year A50 extension and then today Tusk says he believes a long extension should be offered on A50

Last edited by Biscuitman on 27 Mar 2019, 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 3:38 am

Still rumours floating around she might whip for the indicative votes. She really doesn't help herself does she?! :lol:

She has her 1922 Committee meeting at 5:00pm today. Could end up confirming when her last day is

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 12:59 pm

Leaving without a deal was definitely on the table before the vote in reality. Given that Farage coined the term "no deal is better than a bad deal". May's deal isn't a deal it's a treaty.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 1:28 pm

Farage wasn't part of the Govt or the Leave campaign.

I have no idea what he said when as he talks utter sh*te and contradicts himself so much.

In fact, he was talking up EEA status previously :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 1:31 pm

There would have been no referendum without him.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 2:21 pm

That doesn't mean he held any meaningful power whatsoever during the referendum. If someone listened to him with his track record then more fool them.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

Tory MP's falling over themselves to say they will now vote for her deal when they previously said how disasterous it would be for the country. And all this just because they now know there will be a vacancy for the top job and they are all desperate to go for it.

Yet more proof the country has been gamed to assist the Tory party

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2019, 2:51 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
There would have been no referendum without him.

he had nothing to do with it, there would have been no referendum without Cameron

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

And after all that the DUP say no to MV3 :lol: