What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 41 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 5:22 pm

Former Conservative Prime Minister Sir John Major laying into his own party over their behaviour on a number or matters

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1325877143163842561?s=19

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 3:52 am

Seems to be being fairly widely reported that Dominic Cummings (PM's chief advisor) has resigned because Boris Johnson's girlfriend got upset at an appointment Johnson was known to have made and so he felt pressured to reverse that decision and Cummings had enough and threw in the towel

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 12:12 pm

Things which are acceptable:

-50,000+ deaths
-letting vulnerable children go hungry
-giving lucrative contracts to your mates
-driving to Barnard Castle to test your eyesight

Things which are not acceptable:
-calling Carrie Symonds 'Princess Nut Nut'

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2020, 11:15 am

Boris Johnson is trapped at home at the worst possible time

Quote:
On Sunday night, Johnson tweeted that he must "self-isolate for two weeks, after being in contact with someone with Covid-19."

"It doesn't matter that I've had the disease and I'm bursting with antibodies," he said in a Monday video message, adding that he "felt great" and would keep leading the UK virus response, as well as his government's plans to "#BuildBackBetter."

Yet the optimism in that message, including the hashtag, masks the reality of exactly how enormous a week this is for the Johnson premiership, and how much of a blow it is for the PM to be trapped in solitude.

Downing Street had spent the weekend dealing with the fallout from three straight days of chaos, in which two of his most senior advisers dramatically resigned following allegations that they had been briefing viciously against both Johnson himself and his fiancée, Carrie Symonds.

The advisers in question, Lee Cain and Dominic Cummings, were among the most controversial and disliked members of Johnson's inner circle and have been accused by numerous people in government of being power hungry and self-interested.

Brexit really is now on the home stretch. The current transition period -- which was designed to prevent a sudden halt of the flow of goods, among other things, between the UK and the European Union -- ends on December 31.

If the two sides are unable to strike a free trade agreement before that date, then the chaotic no-deal cliff edge -- which many fear would lead to shortages in things like food, toilet paper and medicine -- would be the new reality.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 4:13 am

Yeah we should hopefully see the detail of whatever agreement our Govt has come to with the EU for post transition period in the next 1-2 weeks.

I think the chances of a no deal situation are really very slim, there is no winner in that at all. As soon as we went no deal we would then immediately start the same negotiations with them again but from a position of being outside looking in anyway. Would all be a big waste of time, though I can see from an EU point of view it could arguably give them a better position of power in those negotiations, but only after lots of difficulty which could be avoided.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 3:28 am

Priti Patel, The British Home Secretary, has been found guilty of breaking the ministerial code. Every British MP in history has been sacked when found guilty of this.

Johnson will confirm this morning what is to happen to her. Some journalists claiming that they already know he is just going to completely ignore the verdict and do absolutely nothing.

In 2017 she was forced to resign from her previous Govt position after being found guilty of holding more than 12 secret meetings with members of the Israeli Govt while pretending to be away on private holidays

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 7:07 am

PM Johnson says he just disagrees with the official findings so will take no action. His chief independent advisor has just resigned due to this.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 8:15 am

I hate Patel but I don't think she's a bully.

Bullies do things like form cliques.

Bully victims - and just people under stress - do stuff like shouting and swearing.

You'd have to go back to primary school to find bullies that are effective through the use of shouting.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 5:28 am

update :

Still no trade agreement with the EU with time quickly running out. EU Council meeting later this week which they would ideally like it all wrapped up by. UK ministers briefing the press last night that the negotiations are now completely stuck (the EU are not saying this) and straight after our PM announced he would be flying in to resolve it all himself. Kind of all feels like a cringeworthy set up for a heroic photoshoot, but we will see.

in other news our Health Minister pretended to cry on telly this morning because he was so proud to be British.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 12:57 pm

Sunday is now the next final deadline

it's going to the wire. I have always believed there would be a deal at the last minute, but someone close to all this tipped me off on something today and it's making me wonder

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2020, 3:33 am

well well well. A trade deal, last minute :lol:

There will be lots of cheering and booing today on this, with none of them doing that having seen any of the detail of what the deal is. 2000 page document will cover it and that won't be available for a little while.

Farage will probably blow his top, but then, well that's his thing anyway, rarely a day passes when that hate filled man doesn't lose his head over something.

All eyes first of all on the ERG's reaction. I suspect there will be quite a number of them not impressed with this, but complaining will get them nowhere, its done now. If they give it a thumbs down then they can make life for Johnson very difficult, but after so much division for 4 1/2 years I think it would be sensible to have some kind of show of unity. If they really want Johnson out (which I suspect some will) then it makes sense to allow a moment of celebration around their parties 'achievement' and then work on him next year.

I suspect the real story of this will come out in bits and pieces once we are into the new year. If the detail is not pretty then it will come out as and when bits of the agreement are tested in the real world and then reported on.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Dec 2020, 5:55 pm

There's a summary available from HMG here, but Bloomberg (among others) has a summary of that summary here.
Good or bad, Johnson will spin it as a major achievement. :roll:

Priti Patel is already claiming it will make the UK safer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55449080

I'm still waiting for my free unicorn...

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 6:13 pm

Compared to a hard Brexit, it is probably a good deal.

But compared to a hard Brexit, a proposition to sell your soul to a horned fellow named Lucifer with a fetish for fire and eternity would probably be a good deal, as well.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Dec 2020, 6:22 pm

The whole sorry thing is such a massive episode of self-harm.

What we've got seems to be a thin gruel of a deal - apparently nothing blows up immediately but there's also no sign of those promised "sunlit uplands".
A load of guff hiding the fact that we already had the best deal available for 40-odd years, but threw it all away four years ago because blue passports or something.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 6:39 pm

To be honest, I think that PM Boris Johnson has done fairly well in his term in office.
It has been an extremely difficult time for everyone.

I personally no longer believe in party politics but believe in humanitarianism.
If only all the people in government and their supports also did so, selflessly, for the greater good, no matter who ever is in office, instead of spending all their time, energy and capital undermining good policies and people in attempt to seize power over the public spending.

I am afraid that is what most governments political ecospheres boil down to now. It is all very messy.
When you face international crisis such as the coronavirus and economic recessions, I feel that people should
put away childish (and materialistic) things such as the constant battles between the various party fractions,
all for selfish supremacy.

If only people could act responsibly and with a sincere heart, rather than for self gain.
I know from experience now that political parties who project association with various morals and values are as corruptible as any one, so, to vote based on lies that come out of unworthy people's mouths is meaningless and results in political sociopath after political sociopath getting voted in one after the other.

That said, I think Mr Boris Johnson is a good friendly face to represent the UK government, and most certainly comes across as much more admirable compared with Corbyn, who, I feel comes across as far too self important, arrogant, power abusing school teacher type, who enjoys power of office a little too much. The anti-semite fiasco's are also extremely bad taste.

that said, i do still think that too much small time political bickering is taking place and good people lose their positiion
due to minor issues, if the press and other people would only allow people to be human and treat each case on its own merit and weigh up the value of a persons contribution, against any minor misdemeanor. as some times (often)
the press blow things up out of proportion and a good person career is ruined due to a tiny discrepency,
and some of these people are truly hard to replace.

I also have noted, in some cases, when some one in power commits a massive offense (or continual offense such as scapegoating an innocent victim) they are let away scot free, which makes the fact that others who have been sent down the road for next to nothing even more disgusting.

But alas, this is the world of politics. Perhaps a place best left alone for the monsters who own that world.
Leave the monsters alone and you may be lucky not to become one of their victims.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 10:16 am

The 'trade deal' is simply a downgrading of the one we already had,as instead of having free movement of goods we now have to declare all exports and imports to and from the EU to Customs,even if only transhipping there to go to the rest of the world.Not only that,if going by sea they have to be declared to Customs prior to the vessel arriving in the UK port. All this to gain our 'sovereignty'.