What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 39 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 6:04 am

Agreement reached as expected between UK and EU negotiators. EU Parliament need to vote it through by the end of tomorrow and then saturday is all about the HoC. DUO currently saying they won't support it, which would make it hard to get through, but they are flakey as anything and can change their mind like the changing of the wind, if the £££ is correct

Labour whipping for a 2nd referendum amendment. could be explosive if it gets through

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:27 am

How many years till the UK becomes a European equivalent of a banana republic ?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 12:03 pm

Our PM has confirmed that the UK Govt plans to break international law by reneging on a legal agreement with the countries largest trading block, an agreement he was in charge of and he championed to the nation, and he is doing this all because he now says he didnt have time to read it properly, even though he decided to remove the agreement reading time, and his fellow MP's cheered that, because he had to get the deal approved by a certain date, a date that was arbitrary and he had just picked out of the air.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 12:24 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Our PM has confirmed that the UK Govt plans to break international law by reneging on a legal agreement with the countries largest trading block, an agreement he was in charge of and he championed to the nation, and he is doing this all because he now says he didnt have time to read it properly, even though he decided to remove the agreement reading time, and his fellow MP's cheered that, because he had to get the deal approved by a certain date, a date that was arbitrary and he had just picked out of the air.

Speaking as somebody from outside the country, what will that mean for the UK?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 1:02 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

We will have to wait and see tbh. They are nearing the end of Brexit negotiations, which by pretty much all reports have gone very badly, and now he says they are willing to bring in new domestic law which cancels parts of of the Withdrawal Agreement, the agreement which is the basis for our exiting the EU. It's hard to even see an angle where this is just a threat during tough negotiations, as going ahead with it is most damaging to the UK.

Whatever happens with this, he has now publicly stated he is happy to break international law, his word is worth nothing and agreements can just be ripped up months after signing them, and all of this right as we set out to agree new trade agreements with many countries around the world.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 1:08 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

We will have to wait and see tbh. They are nearing the end of Brexit negotiations, which by pretty much all reports have gone very badly, and now he says they are willing to bring in new domestic law which cancels parts of of the Withdrawal Agreement, the agreement which is the basis for our exiting the EU. It's hard to even see an angle where this is just a threat during tough negotiations, as going ahead with it is most damaging to the UK.

Whatever happens with this, he has now publicly stated he is happy to break international law, his word is worth nothing and agreements can just be ripped up months after signing them, and all of this right as we set out to agree new trade agreements with many countries around the world.

That's terrible. Now I understand why people refer to him as Trump's British Twin. :|

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 4:05 pm

On the other hand, part of me has always wanted to live in a rogue state.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 4:21 pm

Mikah wrote:
On the other hand, part of me has always wanted to live in a rogue state.

Me too! :D

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 1:31 pm

UK Attorney General confirms she is happy for the Government to break the law, even though it is literally her job to stop that from happening.

EU say the trust between the 2 negotiating sides is now damaged.

climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2020, 7:23 am

Firstly, some EU states break the law on a daily basis and no fuss is made. There are statutes covering the transport of live animals. It is well known that these are almost universally ignored in France.

Secondly, if international law says that we have to continue down the path to a United States of Europe, despite the repeated and clearly-expressed opposition of the British people, then perhaps international law ought to be broken.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 10:33 am

I thought of posting in news but decided it wasn't important enough for a full article,no offense to Barbados intended.

London REUTERS

Barbados has said it will remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state and become a republic. After gaining independence in 1966 it's stayed connected with the UK like so many other former colony's did.

Buckingham palace had no comment other than to say it is an issue for the citizens of Barbados.

climber9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2020, 10:44 am

If the Remainers get their way we’ll have Frau von der Leyen [or her successor] as head of state anyway!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 10:55 am

I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

So maybe it's better to post UK stories here.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Sep 2020, 1:51 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
I wanted to clarify something.When I post News stories,ones from the US get a lot of responses.When I posted on the unrest in Belarus it didn't get much response.Or other non american posts have not gotten responses.

I did not mean to say Barbados is a unimportant or trivial place.I apologize for not explaining better.

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 2:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Barbados is not part of the United Kingdom any more than Canada is. You may be thinking of Bermuda, which is a British Overseas Territory although technically not part of the UK.

I know Barbados has had independence since 1966 but until today the official head of state is Queen Elizabeth II

Did you read the post I made above via Reuters

Barbados removed QE2 as there official head of state and is now a republic.

Canada is not part of the UK but Queen Elizabeth is there head of state at lest symbolically.

Many countries not part of the UK have your Queen as there technical head of state but no longer Barbados,they are now a republic.

Please read my previous post or the Reuters article.