What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 38 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:22 pm

How noble of him!

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:28 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
climber9 wrote:
Without the name calling…

1. Boris Johnson is trying to implement the will of the people, as defined by the largest democratic vote in UK history.
2. A majority of MP’s oppose him, despite having stood for election on a manifesto which promised to respect the referendum result.
3. Those same MP’s refuse to submit to an election at which voters could endorse or reject their actions.

1. it wasn't the largest democratic vote in UK history, that is just Conservative Party propaganda. Take a look at the 1992 GE for instance.

can you define what you consider to be the 'will of the people' around no deal?.

2. 54% of voters in the 2017 GE voted for parties which ruled out leaving the EU with no deal. Seems a pretty good barometer of what the will of the people is around leaving with a no deal brexit anyway. Feels fairly democratic for MP's to stick to that.

3. MP's already did that once and it resolved nothing, if anything it just made the situation more complicated. The Fixed Term Parliament Act means that Parliament decides when a GE happens and not the PM. It is not designed to help a PM get out of a whole that he has dug. If the majority of MP's feel they don't want a GE then so be it, that is democracy.

Interesting you're repeating propaganda slogans from Femi who seems to be funded by dodgy people.

Around 85% voted for parties that said they would respect the result of the referendum and leave the Single Market and the Customs union. The only way to do that is leaving without a deal. So that debunks that tripe. MP's voted to trigger Article 50 so that debunks the rest of the tripe.

what on earth is Femi?

Triggering A50 didn't determine the final destination, there are many options open to us. The leave campaign famously promised the nation 'the exact same benefits as we already had' and Vote Leave were so adamant that we would not have a no deal situation that they put in writing that they would not even trigger A50 until they had a deal in place. The public were then asked what type of brexit they wanted by way of a GE and the majority of voters said no to no deal.

Sounds like the people expressing some kind of will to me

People just voted for Labour and Conservatives like they would have done despite Brexit.

Yet you just used your 85% stat from the GE around Brexit :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:48 pm

Just to debunk the 54% nonsense. I admit that the election became pretty much about Corbyn and how terrible May was. But the next election will be all about one issue.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:41 am

you holding an opinion on something doesn't mean you have 'debunked' any other opinion on it :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:42 am

"Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled"

oh my.

All eyes on the Supreme Court on Tuesday I guess. Will be explosive if they also rule in the same way as it would mean the Govt had advised the Queen to act unlawfully.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:31 am

Biscuitman wrote:
you holding an opinion on something doesn't mean you have 'debunked' any other opinion on it :lol:

You don't understand the difference between opinions and facts.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:55 am

we are all allowed opinions, but facts are facts, and you keep mixing up the 2, calling people who think differently to you names, then announcing you have debunked people.

calm down, we are all allowed to form our own opinions. but you need to remember that we are not allowed to form our own 'facts'. As long as we use that as a baseline then everything else from there is great

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 11:31 am

I didn't call you anything. Stop lying.

Like how you used the exact phrase I used to you on the other thread. I'm done with your trolling.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 2:07 am

JohnPowell wrote:
I didn't call you anything. Stop lying.

Stop twisting things for just 5 minutes. I never said once you called me names, I said you called people names, and you know that is what I said. I think calling people 'traitors' is a pretty despicable act.

and you have done the 'trolling' line before. you need to think of something new

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 2:12 am

Govt Yellowhammer report released

oddly it is identical to the leaked yellowhammer report from last month but just has the heading 'base scenario' changed to 'worst case planning assumptions' :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 12:44 pm

They didn't even speak to the officials at Calais :lol:

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2019, 11:28 am

Seeing as the option to suspend Parliament has been granted by the High Court Judge, I'm thinking that it was the most obvious solution for the government, in order for cabinet ministers to sit around number 10, and speak seriously, for once, about the initial impact on leaving the E.U. Reprioritising long term internal economic projects is key for the Treasury and so is suspending parliament in order to achieve solutions rather than more problems and unwanted chaos at the borders, with food and supplies, national emergencies, and transport options.

The Treasury briefing documents state: "The Civil Contingencies Secretariat held a two-day workshop last week to
review departments' plans, assumptions, interdependencies and next steps."

If the over-stretched budget, which doesn't include funding more for health, education and defence not to mention the HS2 gigantic ongoing train project which is not going to be finished in the near future, Operation Yellowhammer is nothing but words of a dried up three month pledge on what looked like a four page document on Sky News, which is taking into account rail and aviation services drawn up with the E.U. The reports have said its still early days yet and the official report won't come out yet until official proceedings to leave, have started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yellowhammer

Just looking at point number 13, through the eyes of the Treasury and its report, as following on from ex London mayor B.J, he made the last pledge to improve all police forces by upping their quota, in the ''hundreds of thousands as was his pledge in the leadership campaign, and now it looks like a by quota pushed back just like the current paper trail they are looking at. Could anything be less organised? as for agriculture, its like watching the roll back credits of Watership Down, retiring through a lesser known margin of livestock. I can't think of a better way to tell people than to iron out the laundry before washing it. To me, it is probably to close off ranks on all due diligence citizens, and not mark false hope than at any other time in the countries national history.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:54 am

unanimous decision by the Supreme Court that Johnson advised the Queen to behave unlawfully and his proroguing of Parliament is void

oh my!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 5:21 am

Biscuitman wrote:
unanimous decision by the Supreme Court that Johnson advised the Queen to behave unlawfully and his proroguing of Parliament is void

oh my!
there is a thread just for this in News and Currant events forum

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:49 am

It sounds like that In a shocking turn of events that no one could foresee the EU are not going to agree to the abysmal offering that Johnson issued to them.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 12:25 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
It sounds like that In a shocking turn of events that no one could foresee the EU are not going to agree to the abysmal offering that Johnson issued to them.
Angela Merkel says brexit deal unlikely at this point.