Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

My brother once said in regards too my autism

"in life you will be competing against people and in many areas you will face prejudice"

Could you expand on what my brother meant exactley?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 10:38 am

Why not ask your brother?

You haven't provided very much context, so it's hard to know what he meant.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

I would have thought it's self-explanatory.

You are opposition to other people. They will take the piss out of you if you let them. They will make s**t out of you.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 11:19 am

Meaning of "prejudice":

An unfair and unreasonable opinion or feeling, especially when formed without enough thought or knowledge.

People often judge in an unfair an unreasonable way, often without knowing much about the subject matter or thinking it through. For sensitive people, that is hard to deal with.

People with a disability or other problem or also more prone to being judged unfortunately.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm

People will see you as an easy target for oppression because they have problems with themselves.

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2018, 9:29 pm

In many aspects of life you will face judgment because people don't see you for who you truly are, rather they see you simply for your ASD. In my own understanding it seems to mean not to let those people be determinant of who you are and what you can do.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

If he said it regarding autism and not other things people are prejudiced about, then he meant exactly what he said.. he's correct to say that there's competition in life for everything from jobs to resources to partners to _______ if you Want something out of life, you have to be able to be good enough, or the best, to get it. That's just simply how competition works. Those who compete to win & win, well, they win the prizes.. be it money, jobs, women, social status, material things, education, other opportunities etc. They competed and fought for them and won, so they get those things.

And and as for facing prejudices about autism.. could be in many areas. Employers may assume you're incapable of doing some things, or may assume you're automatically good at math or programming or something.. others may automatically discount you as "ret*d," and therefore unworthy of dating because you're "just a simpleton," who they couldn't imagine being partnered up with. People may assume your IQ is low but you may actually be highly intelligent and simply socially awkward. There are tons of things people may automatically prejudge you as for being autistic.. maybe they assume you're an angry loner who's plotting the next school shooting ? maybe they think you're busy solving quantum physics problems in your head. Maybe they think you're incapable of empathy or love. Who knows? But your brother's point is that because you're autistic, chances are pretty damned solid that you're going to come up against all kinds of prejudiced assumptions people make about you and there's not a damned thing you can do about it except be aware that you're going to face those challenges and you're going to have to deal with them as appropriately as possible when they arise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 8:39 am

Jamesy wrote:
My brother once said in regards too my autism. "in life you will be competing against people and in many areas you will face prejudice". Could you expand on what my brother meant exactly?
Could you ask your brother what he meant exactly, and then get back to us?

None of us know your brother (afaik), and none of us can read minds.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.