Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Aug 2018, 4:14 am

I recently saw part of a commercial on TV for an eczema med & I kind of got the impression that it was an oral med thou I could be wrong. I had really bad eczema as a kid & the only treatment I was ever given was moisturizers & creams/lotions which I HATED due to sensory issues so I avoided using them & really fought my parents when they tried to put em on, & in in sever cases I sometimes got Cortizone shorts or for a short time oral steroids. My eczema started coming back in the last 5 years & I researched meds a few years ago & about all the meds I read about were pretty much the same types of things I tried when I was a kid except allergy meds were also listed thou they are more for other allergies than eczema. I already take allergy meds & I've been taking Prednisone off & on for a bit when my eczema starts getting bad. Anyways I've been taking the Prednisone pretty regularly for quite a while now cuz my eczema has been bad & very gradually getting worse. I also have some other health issues that are gradually getting worse like gaining a lot of weight, high cholesterol & high blood-sugar. This may be all due to binge eating, poor diet, & lack of exercise but there's a chance the Prednisone is contributing too. If there's a new eczema med out, I'd really like to know what it is so I can do some research & maybe try to get it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 3:50 pm

Try narrow band UVB for eczema. It is actually covered by public healthcare here so there has to be significant evidence that it works for our public healthcare to bother paying for a non pharmaceutical option which they almost never do. They actually want patients to use it before they opt for biologics.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 3:17 am

Noca wrote:
Try narrow band UVB for eczema. It is actually covered by public healthcare here so there has to be significant evidence that it works for our public healthcare to bother paying for a non pharmaceutical option which they almost never do. They actually want patients to use it before they opt for biologics.
I'll have to research that cuz I don't think I heard of it before. I would still like to know what med I seen advertised out of curiosity & perhaps a backup plan.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 3:54 am

nick007 wrote:
I also have some other health issues that are gradually getting worse like gaining a lot of weight, high cholesterol & high blood-sugar. This may be all due to binge eating, poor diet, & lack of exercise but there's a chance the Prednisone is contributing too.

Healthy diet & exercise will take care of a lot of your health problems - possibly including eczema, considering it's an immunodeficiency disease that will be worse when your immune system is down/low and better when you're healthier and your immune system as at full strength. You can eliminate what isn't caused by Prednisone by eating healthier and getting into motion. You'll likely feel better, too.

Also, I know some people who's eczema is best controlled when they avoid wheat & dairy - so it's possible there are certain foods that trigger it for you, too.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:35 am

Incase anyone is wondering, I saw a few commercials for an eczema injection called Dupixent/Dupilumab. I read it's being investigated as a treatment for asthma as well. I'm thinking this was probably the med I saw the end of a commercial of & made this thread about. I'd probably have to see a dermatologist for it thou & rite now I have other health issues I'm dealing with. Maybe when my eczema flares up again I'll ask my GP for a referral.

goldfish21 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I also have some other health issues that are gradually getting worse like gaining a lot of weight, high cholesterol & high blood-sugar. This may be all due to binge eating, poor diet, & lack of exercise but there's a chance the Prednisone is contributing too.

Healthy diet & exercise will take care of a lot of your health problems - possibly including eczema, considering it's an immunodeficiency disease that will be worse when your immune system is down/low and better when you're healthier and your immune system as at full strength. You can eliminate what isn't caused by Prednisone by eating healthier and getting into motion. You'll likely feel better, too.

Also, I know some people who's eczema is best controlled when they avoid wheat & dairy - so it's possible there are certain foods that trigger it for you, too.
Your probably rite about that. I've been trying alittle bit & I lost 10 pounds between the doc appointment I had yesterday & the one I had about 6 weeks ago. Rite now I'm just working on cutting down the binging & snacks & get more activity in. I really should start exercising for the sake of it. For some reason it's alot easier to break/stop a good habit than it is to start it.
I've tried different diets as a kid & I don't think it made a difference then but I may of been too picky to stick with it for long enough. I'd rather stop the binging & get used to exercising more before I worry about eating healthier or changing my diet. I need to work in smaller steps.

BTW Do you goldfish or anyone else have any suggestions on supplements that might help :?:

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2018, 5:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
nick007 wrote:

That is very correct, as I found out thanks to a newly established, fond daily affinity with Greek Yogurt, which the Canadian government has made as rare as a cheap Canadian beer on your side of the border. :mrgreen: Anyway, after six decades of dealing with "eczema" using the customary creams and steroids for "outbreaks," I discovered that precisely 48 hours after consuming anything in excess of about 10 grams of milk protein (in this case, whey), I would have a flareup. Not only that, but consuming over 20 grams a day would cause me to turn red like a lobster. A year of challenge/avoidance proved the 100% causal nature of this relationship. It was never noticed before, because I didn't consume dairy as regularly and the 48-hour delay made association very difficult.

And so now I can consume small amounts of dairy products with minimal symptoms, but I have to stay below a certain amount to control symptoms. Without dairy, I am completely symptom free and can avoid steroids altogether. Quite a happy accident of discovery. All the other explanations, such as "stress," were wrong wrong wrong.