Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Aug 2018, 7:38 pm

I'm just looking at an Essay that Melville wrote. He's flagrantly, decoratively verbose:

Quote:
But if the acutest sage be often at his wits' ends to understand living character, shall those who are not sages expect to run and read character in those mere phantoms which flit along a page, like shadows along a wall?

Writing Moby-Dick destroyed him, in a nervous-breakdown sort of way. They found him a job as a customs inspector and I don't think he ever wrote again. But what did it take out of him (they spoke of exhaustion) to go from that Essay to 400 pages of this sort of thing:
Quote:
AS WE WERE WALKING DOWN the end of the wharf towards the ship, Queequeg carrying his harpoon, Captain Peleg in his gruff voice loudly hailed us from his wigwam [on deck], saying he had not suspected my friend was a cannibal, and furthermore announcing that he let no cannibals on board that craft, unless they previously produced their papers.

Okay, one is exposition and the other narrative. Still, Melville must have reached into the dark depths of his soul to wrench out the colossal Moby-Dick.

I think it might have been this: he got the collected works of Shakespeare which, in his day, nobody ever got to see.

Imagine, no Henry IV,
Quote:
Falstaff: What time is it, lad?
Henry: Unless <snip> the blessed sun himself [were] a fair hot wench in flame-coloured taffeta, I see no reason why thou shouldst be so superfluous to demand the time of the day.

no King Lear,
Quote:
I am a man more sinned against than sinning.

no Twelfth Night,
Quote:
If these be the notes of love, play on, play on.

Melville went to ground and was rarely heard from, except for ecstatic notes. Was it Shakespeare that transformed Melville?

Moby-Dick was published but universally rejected during Melville's lifetime as the "ravings of a disordered mind."

Seanbar
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

Has anybody ever read bartlby the scrivener?
What was your favorite Melville work besides from Moby Dick? Why?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 8:19 pm

Now this is the way to end a chapter, with just three sentences. :D

And when we consider that other theory of the natural philosophers, that all other earthly hues — every stately or lovely emblazoning — the sweet tinges of sunset skies and woods; yea, and the gilded velvets of butterflies, and the butterfly cheeks of young girls; all these are but subtile deceits, not actually inherent in substances, but only laid on from without; so that all deified Nature absolutely paints like the harlot, whose allurements cover nothing but the charnel-house within; and when we proceed further, and consider that the mystical cosmetic which produces every one of her hues, the great principle of light, for ever remains white or colorless in itself, and if operating without medium upon matter, would touch all objects, even tulips and roses, with its own blank tinge — pondering all this, the palsied universe lies before us a leper; and like willful travellers in Lapland, who refuse to wear colored and coloring glasses upon their eyes, so the wretched infidel gazes himself blind at the monumental white shroud that wraps all the prospect around him.

And of all these things the Albino Whale was the symbol.

Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?

There Are Four Lights!

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 9:48 pm

Seanbar wrote:
Has anybody ever read bartlby the scrivener?
What was your favorite Melville work besides from Moby Dick? Why?

I have always wanted to read Bartleby; never have gotten around to it. I limped through Omoo when I was about 14, and on pain of death I wouldn't even be able to tell you what it's about. It was just that exciting.

Seanbar
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2018, 11:04 pm

I guess I'll just have to take your word for it lol

My friend kinda said the same about typee but it's strange. That was a travel log kind of book and that's what I heard he was popular for. But it was the very unpopular books and stories that are considered his classics.