Any aspie women and girls hate their period and pms?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2020, 2:29 pm

For me, periods are manageable, but my PMS was ruining my life. Over the past couple of years, in the run up before my period, it's as if I just pressed the self destruct button. I can become extremely angry and down to the point of blind rage, hurting my loved ones, harming myself and wondering why I'm still here. Then, when the actual period comes, all the rage and depression just fizzles out, but I'm left feeling ashamed and guilty.

I had to make several trips to the doctor as it was getting too much for me to handle. Turns out I have PMDD (a severe form of PMS) and am currently on antidepressants. I feel like they're helping me a lot.

pepto_bismol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2020, 12:08 am

No. I feel uncomfortable sometimes but I like the distinctly female experience of the period. Why? Because it reminds me that I'm healthy. If I'm menstruating I'm not pregnant, not malnourished, and my digestion is more regular. When you menstruate your uterus cleans itself out and although it can hurt you have to remember it's working FOR you. Unless there's something wrong to worsen your symptoms...luckily I have regular and easy to get through periods.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 1:09 am

Slightly off-topic but related, I find it interesting that I hear so many women talking about cramps during their periods, but I very rarely (if ever, can’t remember if it’s happened once or twice or not) get cramps. The pain I usually get is much more like sore, overworked muscles (which does make sense, since everything in that area is working much harder than it usually does), not sharp cramping.

I was pleased that my last period was pretty light and quick since I’m having issues with anemia right now and I really don’t need to be losing any more blood than absolutely necessary (though I am aware that a large part of a healthy woman’s menstrual flow is not actually blood)... but then again, the anemia might have been the reason why it was like that, because my body couldn’t spare as much blood as usual for that.

Overall I consider myself very lucky in the PMS/period department because I hear what other women experience and feel like I get off easy in comparison. I really don’t enjoy it, but I remind myself that it could be so much worse and I should be grateful that it isn’t for me, and that helps me put up with it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2020, 1:48 pm

I've been on birth control for almost 10 years now, so I only get a period every three months and they're so light that I usually barely notice them. It's definitely been a life saver for me. As a teenager before I went on the pill, my periods were awful. They were usually really heavy and made me feel like I'd wet myself, and I'd often get horrific pain with them as well. I pretty much lived in fear and dread every month when I knew it was coming soon. I worried about the pain, and also worried that I'd bleed so much so fast that blood would start getting on my pants at school/in a public place before I had the chance to get to the bathroom and get a new pad on.

At first, I thought the heavy bleeding was just something unusual that my body did, and I thought I was just highly sensitive to the pain, but it turns out that my mom has endometriosis, so I most likely inherited it from her.

gardenlady13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2020, 5:33 pm

Yes totally. I dread that part of the cycle where I’m coming up to my period and also during it. I’ve just recently been diagnosed with PMDD, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. Incredibly intense PMS. Even though I know all types of PMS is hard. It explains the symptoms that get worse with fluctuating hormones just before my period: worsened depression, anxiety, brain fog, bloating, weight gain, can’t function, rage, irritable, everything feels itchy, life feels wrong. At least I know what’s happening now and can try and prepare for the onslaught! It still disrupts my life severely every month though. :cry: