Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 1:06 am

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/ ... wine.12400

Whaaaaaat?!?! 8O

There will be no reason to run windows anymore. I'm on Fedora, and I just ran a windows game with one click.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:12 am

"It currently has a limited set of games that are supported..."

"There will be drawbacks, like possible performance issues and games that rely on some DRM might likely never be supported..."

That's cool that they're working on improving Wine, but will these features see light outside of Steam? There are a LOT of games (and DRM-free alternatives) that are not available on that platform.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 10:47 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
That's cool that they're working on improving Wine, but will these features see light outside of Steam? There are a LOT of games (and DRM-free alternatives) that are not available on that platform.

The Proton compatibility layer is free and open. Improvements are going upstream to regular Wine. You won't need to run Steam to benefit from it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 12:37 pm

That's cool of them, you wouldn't really expect that from most companies.

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2018, 2:34 pm

It's great to hear that progress has been made to this end. Nvidia still remains an issue, particularly with Optimus and users that are new to Linux who want to jump right into gaming.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 2:46 pm

In light of the fact that Microsoft is charging for updates to its operating system -- updates that used to be free -- it seems reasonable to run a free operating system that works with any game that also works with Windows.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RESleight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm

Yeah for sure. These recent developments are exciting. It's getting much closer now. Soon enough, people of all skill levels will be able to enjoy gaming on Linux.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 4:32 pm

RESleight wrote:
Yeah for sure. These recent developments are exciting. It's getting much closer now. Soon enough, people of all skill levels will be able to enjoy gaming on Linux.
I can hardly wait!

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.