What are some good songs with a lead bass guitar?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 6:01 pm

BTDT wrote:
Joe Osborn has more chart-topping records than he can even keep track of.

I like his style, he's almost always played a Fender Jazz with flatwound strings.

He's on a lot of Simon & Garfunkel tunes, as well as the live sets from the late 60s, when they brought the electric band with them.

He also plays that really great bit at the end of Aquarius (Let the Sunshine In).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 7:38 pm

Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot. Remembered some of the lyrics of this one from high school and just tracked it down last week!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 10:51 am

Royal Blood are really big in the UK, they are just a drummer and a bass player.

give them a spin and see what you think!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:17 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Royal Blood are really big in the UK, they are just a drummer and a bass player.

I didn't know that. I've heard them on the radio a few times.

Kind of reminds me of Presidents of the United States of America, who played mixed-up modified instruments: a guitbass (a bass with three guitar strings), and a basitar (a guitar with two bass strings).

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 11:05 pm

Oh, here.... best bassist in the entire universe...

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 11:33 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Kind of reminds me of Presidents of the United States of America, who played mixed-up modified instruments: a guitbass (a bass with three guitar strings), and a basitar (a guitar with two bass strings).

"Free punk" band God is My Copilot use similarly unusual hybrid instruments. Back when I was playing in bands, I used to scare sound engineers on a couple of songs with what we dubbed "The Twangy Thing". I always wanted an upright bass, but could never afford one, so I made a contraption with two strings stretched over a length timber, filed-down gate hinges for a bridge, carriage bolts and wing-nuts for tuners, a guitar-soundhole electric pickup, and an old camera tripod leg for a spike. It sounded bloody awful, but was great for atonal bass lines with huge swooping slides, and a lot of fun to play!

I also totally forgot the bass virtuoso known as Squarepusher (Tom Jenkinson). He's far better known, and made his name, with chopped-up, glitchy dance music and electronica, but he also released an album which is solely him playing solo on bass. For example...

His more well-known music sounds more like this...

Prudolph
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Oct 2018, 11:57 am

For the more rocky/metal side, John Myung, Les Claypool, Flea, Cliff Burton, Lemmy, Ryan Martinie, Paolo Gregoletto, John Entwistle etc. either utilise complex basslines/slap bass/bass solos/play their bass like a guitar. I really like Bruce Foxton from The Jam and John Deacon from Queen too.

AQ-49 of 50
EQ-7 of 60
RDOS:
Neurodiverse (Aspie) score is 183 of 200.
Neurotypical (Non-autistic) score is 31 of 200

INTJ-T Personality type

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 5:34 pm

Too bad the OP never came back to check out all these great recommendations... =|

Trogluddite wrote:
I always wanted an upright bass, but could never afford one...

I wouldn't even know how to transport one. I can barely lug my old bass amp around (it's one of those Ampeg fridge cabs from the 70s).

BTW, Precision bass + a good set of flatwounds can get a tone similar to a stand-up. I think I was using GHS strings. Chromes are alright too, but sometimes I feel like they're a little toobright.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 6:30 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
BTW, Precision bass + a good set of flatwounds can get a tone similar to a stand-up.

I ought to check out the classifieds for a cheap fretless. I always traded in my old basses whenever I got something nicer, otherwise I might have knocked the frets out of an old one to give it a go. I've never played on a fretless enough to get my intonation any good, which always put me off spending my limited finances on one.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 8:23 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
...otherwise I might have knocked the frets out of an old one to give it a go.

I did with my cheap P-bass, it's pretty easy if you don't care about the gapes where they used to be. It sounded really cool unplugged, but for whatever reason (cheap fingerboard wood?) the sound through the pickups was just mud. Bought it a new neck and it's so much better now.

I don't play a lot of slide guitar, so the hardest part for me is learning to keep your fingers ON the frets (where they used to be, at least) instead of in-between them.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2018, 10:48 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
the hardest part for me is learning to keep your fingers ON the frets

A guy I knew years ago who played both electric and upright bass told me that he always struggled with fretless electric. He reckoned that the similarity between fretted and fretless electric bass made intonation harder because of the muscle memory from playing a fretted electric, whereas the completely different posture and hand position on the upright made it easier for him to break old habits.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm

Try this. All bass, not too long, and not too difficult to play.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 2:22 pm

"Peace Sells" by Megadeth has an awesome bass line to it.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:49 pm

DystopianShadows wrote:
"Peace Sells" by Megadeth has an awesome bass line to it.

It's very similar to the bassline from the MTV News theme song.