Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2018, 4:21 am

Following my first year in university, I've decided to start a little work on a pet project that I've been wanting to look into for a while now.

Right now, I haven't done a lot; I've created a grid of squares, added a square to represent the player and it can move around the screen. It's a good start, but right now I'm deciding where to go from there.

I was thinking of creating a kind of survival horror / horror adventure game with interacting objects like furniture, switches, doors, etc., as a first step towards a proper game. Of course, since I don't have any graphics right now it would just be a series of squares in a grid but I could always add graphics later.

Right now, it's mostly just experimental code and the like. I'm going to see where it goes and if I could genuinely grow this into a real first game, which would be cool.

If there's any advice / guidance or thoughts, I'd love you hear them.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

Udemy has a lot of cheap courses on video game development and design. I've used them before, couldn't continue my course though since my computer lacks the space that I need for software. Still, it was very helpful up until that point.

By the way, survival horror is my favorite genre!

Best of luck on your game! Feel free to share it with us when it's in a playable state. :D

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2018, 12:39 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
Udemy has a lot of cheap courses on video game development and design. I've used them before, couldn't continue my course though since my computer lacks the space that I need for software. Still, it was very helpful up until that point.

By the way, survival horror is my favorite genre!

Best of luck on your game! Feel free to share it with us when it's in a playable state. :D
That sounds like a good idea. I've done a bit of games development on my course already but it was just rudimentary JavaFX interfaces, nothing all that complex yet.

I was originally thinking of creating a rogue like Binding of Isaac / Enter the Gungeon / Crypt of the Necrodancer style top down game, but I really like survival horror and think it might be easier to create a basic point and click style game with inventory management / interactable objects and such than a twin stick shooter or anything like that.

Thanks for the advice, and for the good luck. :D