Where did you find out about Wrong Planet from?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Where did you find out about this site
Friend 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Myself 69%  69%  [ 25 ]
Book 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 36

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2019, 3:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
During my assesment process I did a google search for Asperger forum and wrong planet was the first forum to come up. I had belonged to two other forums prior. I joined the evening I was diagnosed.

dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
I also struggle with imposter syndrome being undiagnosed. I've been spending most of my free time here lately.

Undiagnosed and even non autistics are welcome here. If you are not on the spectrum or at least have many autistic traits you should really be feeling a disconnect by this time. As far as long winded a lot of posts are like that. People finally feeling free to "let it go, let it go" I think.

I feel like I relate immensely to others here. I enjoy reading their experiences and discussing my own. Lots of similarities.

I do have a "let it go" feeling here. My communicative style doesn't work well in other places, except for perhaps certain subs on reddit. I'm always checking myself elsewhere going "be concise. don't come across as arrogant. dumb down. appeal to emotion." I hate doing that.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:00 am

I was looking into theories about fictional characters, and a few of the blogs mentioned this place. However, that isn't what led to me checking out this website. I had an online therapist briefly speculate about autism, but nothing concrete. Just a passing speculation. Still, I decided to have a look here to see if anything resonated.

At first I felt rather out of place, it seemed different to the forums I was used to. Mainly because it is.

Sometimes I felt as if I were intruding where I didn't belong, and I questioned what I was doing here. But after a while I got used to being on this forum.

I could relate to some parts, but I have since come to the conclusion that I am probably not autistic. However, I don't fully see myself as completely neurotypical either, so I wasn't a fan of having to pick one or the other on the drop-down menu on profiles. Although, it depends on what you count as neurotypical. I know that people often debate about that. Usually whenever I do autism quizzes, I get a result that is kind of in the middle between the two.

Sometimes I post something, and I get responses such as "Yeah, neurotypicals will do that to you," or "this post clearly shows that people on the autism spectrum *insert positive quality here*". I can understand the assumption though, I am on autism forum after all. But it sure is weird being used as an example of "why we're better than neurotypicals" by a few people. Uh, you picked the wrong person for the point you're trying to make. This has happened to me in other places as well.

If you define neurotypical as someone who doesn't have any neurological differences that differ from the norm, then I'm probably not neurotypical. My visual processing abilities are way below the average, and how I think has always been considered a bit strange by others. However, if you define it as someone who isn't autistic, then I think the term fits. Although, I do relate to certain parts. So I guess I kind of am in the middle. Maybe the Broad Autism Phenotype (BAP) applies here. Granted, some of my issues could potentially be explained by my weird childhood. I'm getting off topic here anyway.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

A nice atheist lady was googling Aspergers, with the intent of finding stray Aspies that had not already herded onto wrongplanet. This shepherdess was the only visitor and posted the only comment on my blog, in reply to my post on Aspergers, in which I self-diagnose. She mentioned wrongplanet or perhaps some other forum, and I dismissed it for a time, but the invitation percolated in my mind. Months later, I'm here. I think the name of the site is just right, I like the forum descriptions, and it seems a nice place without mean bullies, so far. That is, a moderated forum.

What I don't like is the bright white background, but that's the same on most any site. I use Midnight Lizard in Firefox to turn it dark. It is highly effective. Bright white hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. The other thing that annoys me is that whatever I.P. address I use gets trapped in the crosshairs of the spam filter fairly often. Rather than email a complaint, I just adopt a different address. What else? Oh yeah, I guess it would be nice to have a profile pic. I think mine may be too controversial. It is a simple pentacle, which is often misunderstood.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 1:23 am

My mom

Blint
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 1:42 pm

My best friend. Was always curious why he was always on this site since I knew he has autism.
Was curious and I guess I ended up posting there myself.

The more I'm on here, the more I'm thinking if I have got this myself?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 2:08 pm

Google a couple years ago. I think I was on a forum for something else, and was trying to look for an autism-specific forum. I didn't remember this site existed and join it until recently.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 2:15 pm

Psychologist

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 4:09 pm

I found WP by accident. Boredom so I wanted a tv series to download...rotten tomatoes and various lists...Room 104...Duplass brothers...from Mindy - didn't know they produced...imdb etc...Asperger's Are Us peaked my interest...article on WP video section...wow, an aspergers forum - I think I have aspergers and undiagnosed welcome, will I relate and/or gain knowledge that can help me? Still here. :D

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 5:52 pm

Was on youtube one day and was searching up autism related things and I came across a video at the time of somebody promoting WP, since then was compelled to check it out and I guess from there, the rest was history.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

I saw so many threads on WP years ago when googling things about autism.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 7:59 pm

I was trying to trace what I now know are called shutdowns. I had been trying for yeara to find out what they were and what was happening to me... What was causing them etc.
It was only by following what I saw as some sort of connection between what I had and meltdowns, that I had to ask the question to find out. And at first I contacted the national autistic society who said they had a month and a half waiting list before they could reply. I don't know if they replied as I was desperate for an answer.
So in desperation I took the unusual plunge to join this site just to ask. I was going to ask and dissapear when I had the answer, but I became hooked and here I am to this day... A year and a month later!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 10:05 am

3 years ago I googled aspergers because the man I was seeing told me he was an aspie and I read a few posts. About 18 months ago another aspie friend suffered serious burnout and I made my first post asking for advice and I'm still here.