Braless. Need to know if I am in the wrong please?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kayt1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2018, 11:54 am

I've been reading this forum for a long time and getting a lot of helpful info from it. Its awesome

But I have a question that might seem dumb but its affecting me badly in my brain so I was hoping someone might offer honest answer. Because I need to know if I'm wrong or I'm not

Basically I've been called a few names by a family member about it and its affected me.

It might seem like something silly to some sorry but to me it's not as its affecting me

I always walk my dog each day and I don't wear a bra because I'm just walking my dog. I don't really see any issue.

My family is kinda traditional I guess I am careful at what I do

But to try to make a long story short.. I normally walk my dog after everyone's gone for the day coz they leave early but I went out yesterday and when I came home my brother was home and he noticed (nothing weird there) but he told my parents for some stupid reason and they went completely nuts at me about it because they never knew

Apparently it's disgusting to walk around outside braless and I have no self respect and all that apparently and I was called a few names (nothing super bad but still upset me)

Are they right does everyone think? Please help but be honest to me

Thanks

Conner42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2018, 12:11 pm

The whole thing is still really taboo in the US.

Personally, I think it's really stupid. I watched a movie recently called Crazy Rich Asians(which is a really good movie, by the way) that kind of indulged in this kind of shaming by pointing out one of the characters wasn't wearing a bra with her dress and...really, that whole thing was kind of gross and pointless. Gross in the sense that the characters and the movie were judging this person even though the problem wasn't her, it was the people around her and how they viewed each other.

I don't know, it's weird.

The sad thing is, whether or not I think you're in the right or what others think can't really change the cultural attitude of this country.

But I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you. I think you're going to get differing views on this though so some would say there isn't really a wrong or right answer though.

Except for me, I'm right. And I say your family is being overly judgemental by having regressive attitudes on how women should dress.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 12:39 pm

I hate bras. Maybe he should wear one if he thinks they’re so great? I wear sports bras or running tanks. When I was younger, I could get away with wearing “wife beaters”. :skull:

Kayt1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm

hobojungle wrote:
I hate bras. Maybe he should wear one if he thinks they’re so great? I wear sports bras or running tanks. When I was younger, I could get away with wearing “wife beaters”. :skull:

Thank you!! :D

Haha true

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 12:56 pm

:D

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 2:45 pm

Maybe it is a cultural taboo, I'm not sure. Maybe your parents are concerned, through no fault of yours, that going braless will attract the wrong kind of attention from the wrong kind of people?

I do think in part the issue relates to breast size. I think it's factual to say a woman with an A cup going braless in public would be different than a woman with a D cup or larger as far as drawing attention to it is concerned.

Are you in the wrong? You're an adult and it's certainly not illegal to go braless.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2018, 2:54 pm

I usually drape a scarf or something if I have to go out for a few mins and can’t be bothered to have one on.

But in my fam no one cares.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 3:13 pm

Kayt1 wrote:
Basically I've been called a few names by a family member about it and its affected me.

Name calling is verbal abuse. :evil:

sithwitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Aug 2018, 3:23 pm

Its certainly not illegal to go bra-less, its not even illegal to go topless in parts of the US at least (http://gotopless.org/topless-laws). YMMV in other countries! There's nothing disgusting about the human body. I wish society would stop body shaming and pushing their preconceptions about the sexes and sexuality. Accusing someone of having no self respect because of their clothing choice is antiquated, prejudiced and contemptuous. The undertones of such a statement carry heavy accusations against the character of a person, all of which are baseless. You can't judge someone by their clothing choice; doesn't matter if they're covered head to toe, completely nude, or anywhere in-between. If I had a brother like that, I'd want to tell him to reserve his judgements, stop questioning my character, show some respect and keep out of my business. Confounding as it may be, many people in this world don't see things this way.

Kayt1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2018, 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone :D

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:39 pm

Well I have to fight the urge to go get coffee before getting dressed so I really don't see any issue. I grow my hair out pretty long & I agree, it's someone else's issue when they tell me to cut it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 5:51 pm

[quote="Kayt1"]I've been reading this forum for a long time and getting a lot of helpful info from it. Its awesome

But I have a question that might seem dumb but its affecting me badly in my brain so I was hoping someone might offer honest answer. Because I need to know if I'm wrong or I'm not

It might seem like something silly to some sorry but to me it's not as its affecting me

I always walk my dog each day and I don't wear a bra because I'm just walking my dog. I don't really see any issue.

While women are expected to wear bras or keep their breasts contained in the U.S., your family is in the wrong for the way they have treated you and responded to the situation. There should be nothing disgusting or embarrassing about breasts and I believe that women should be permitted to go topless as men do if they wish but this is not yet widely accepted in the U.S. That being said, if you do go braless, depending on how apparent it is, you may be subjected to harassment and hostilities. That is not your fault, that is the fault of the other person. If you wish to not wear a bra and not be bothered about it, you can do so by making it unapparent that you are not wearing a bra. I went a year without wearing a bra in a male dominated environment due to a health issue. It was a cold environment so I wore a t shirt covered by a jacket which concealed the fact I was not wearing a bra. Occasionally I would wear a baggy sweatshirt instead.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 8:29 pm

Went braless most of my adult life, except when I had to wear skirted suits to work (and then poof the moment I got home!). Was never an issue.

I am now an old lady and can still go braless, and in hot weather you better believe I do. Still hasn't been an issue.

If anyone had commented on it, I'd probably have asked them why they were looking at my chest in the first place :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :roll:

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 8:35 pm

It should be entirely up to the individual.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 8:51 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Went braless most of my adult life, except when I had to wear skirted suits to work (and then poof the moment I got home!). Was never an issue.

I am now an old lady and can still go braless, and in hot weather you better believe I do. Still hasn't been an issue.

If anyone had commented on it, I'd probably have asked them why they were looking at my chest in the first place :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :roll:

Same with me. If I was wearing a thin blouse at work I would wear a camisole under it.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 8:54 pm

Hurrah for camisoles, they got me through my last job (all 20 years of it)!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!