Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Aug 2018, 1:35 pm

I haven't been here in quite a while because I've been trying to get this website I'm working on about birds off the ground. It's slow going so I ended up having to get a job at Appen to pay the bills. It's been pretty overwhelming for me, so I decided to take on a big organized project to sort of calm my brain down a little.

Anyway, I've created a playlist on Youtube that's a chronological timeline of David Bowie's music. Bowies was incredibly prolific throughout his lifetime, so by the time it was finished it totaled 354 songs. It starts in 1964 with a single he released as Davey Jones and continue all the way up to the songs that were released posthumously on what would have been his 70th birthday in 2017.

I don't claim to have caught every single David Bowie song that exists on YouTube, there are quite a few remixes and re-releases, but the list should be pretty comprehensive.
If you're interested, just go to YouTube and search for
"David Bowie Timeline: A Life in Music". It's a public list, so anyone can see it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 1:29 pm

I've come to appreciate him now that he's gone.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 1:42 pm

I'm not a huge fan, but there are things that I love ("Buddha of Suburbia" is a fantastic song). Sounds like you put a lot of work into this--thanks for sharing. I'll check it out.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 2:25 pm

I'm a fan of Bowie.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 2:42 pm

As thanks. I love Bowie. I will have a listen.

My favourite Bowie song is Queen b***h... with the bippity boppety hat.

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2018, 12:05 pm

I love so many Bowie's songs, it would be hard to pick, but since I made the playlist a really early song called "I Pity the Fool" has been stuck in my head! I'm glad that anyone's interested in my massive playlist.

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

I found a leaked version of Blackstar and started getting really into him like the week before he died, and for some reason it really hit me when he passed.

I really love Bowie's late career work in particular. I mean I like the hits and stuff from his heyday, but I'm more of an album type of person, and as far as start to finish listens go I think his stuff from the 90s onward was fantastic. I'm particularly a fan of Outside for how dark and unique it is among his catalog.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 5:36 pm

I love his early stuff, all the way up to Let's Dance. Really love the Station to Station + Berlin trilogy + Scary Monsters era.

After that, there's songs here and there that I like, but it's hard for me to listen to the albums straight-through.

I liked the Heathen album a lot though, and Reality was pretty good. I really liked Bring Me the Disco King, especially the remix from the Underworld soundtrack.

....but I still haven't heard his first two albums (I don't know why), or his final one :oops:

amdedinboro

02 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I love his early stuff, all the way up to Let's Dance. Really love the Station to Station + Berlin trilogy + Scary Monsters era.

After that, there's songs here and there that I like, but it's hard for me to listen to the albums straight-through.

I liked the Heathen album a lot though, and Reality was pretty good. I really liked Bring Me the Disco King, especially the remix from the Underworld soundtrack.

....but I still haven't heard his first two albums (I don't know why), or his final one :oops:

Heathen is a beautiful piece of work from start to finish, high up on the list for me. And you should definitely give Blackstar a listen, it's a heartbreaking but wonderful and inventive album :)

Oh yeah, I like Scary Monsters quite a bit as well!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 9:08 am

amdedinboro wrote:
And you should definitely give Blackstar a listen, it's a heartbreaking but wonderful and inventive album :)

I like the idea of it, him working with all new people, trying something different just to get his swan song out in time. I just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2018, 3:27 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

After that, there are songs here and there that I like, but it's hard for me to listen to the albums straight-through.

I love Bring Me The Disco King! It's actually been stuck in my head for three days or so.

On the playlist I created (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfsLLz ... jD1rxLgUFh), songs numbered 7-21 are the first album (David Bowie 1967) and songs numbered 22-32 are his second album (David Bowie 1969/Space Oddity) The final one he released while he was alive (Black Star) is song number 344 through song 350.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 5:18 am

Do you have the Toy album in your playlist?

It's too bad he never released it, it's a pretty good album. I really like I Dig Everything (as well as the original version).

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2018, 3:14 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Do you have the Toy album in your playlist?

It's too bad he never released it, it's a pretty good album. I really like I Dig Everything (as well as the original version).

I don't actually have that whole album on the playlist, I'll have to add it when I have the time!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 5:24 am

A lot of it was released elsewhere as bonus tracks, or b-sides, but some of it's still exclusive.

Fuzzyair
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2018, 8:54 am

David Bowie was a one of a kind. He was a legend who I believe will always be remembered for his great music. When I think of Bowie I get reminded of Elvis and Michael Jackson :) . Some singers do some amazing work in their time on earth but there's always those certain ones who go that extra length in to greatness. Bowie was one of them.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:24 pm

I got into Bowie many moons ago. The first time I head him was when "Fame" was a hit on the radio in 1974. It wasn't until around 1977/78 that I got further into his Mainman catalog, especially the gem "Stationtostation." I used to play that cassette to death. In college I was able to acquire more of his albums - "Lodger," "Scary Monsters," etc. Like a lot of artists I admire, I've also collected bootleg concerts of his. Sigh. Too bad I've never seen him live.