I have a dream to move to a new town later on in my 30s

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Buffaloboy92
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2018, 3:52 pm

This is just an idea. In order to save up enough over the years for later life outside my city, I'm hoping my next job after the one in my late 20s will help me move (not too far outside) but to the country towns of the western region of New York. I get off my mom's insurance by the end of the year since i turn 26 but need to find a job first to receive benefits and afford my own insurance. To do that I hope to find something that will help move me and possibly my future wife to raise kids in our 30s outside of the city limits and away from its uptown/downtown stress. Of course I still got some time since I'm thinking ahead but what I don't understand is what it's like to receive different services in a specific type of area for individuals with disabilities. If I get married I found out I would lose my social security. I hope to vouch for something that will one day set my future up where I want it to be. I would want to make sure my girlfriend will one day be set for life too since she's only a few years behind me in independent living planning. For people who move to a new location if work allows it could be a very rare surprise.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 4:02 pm

I think that it is good to plan ahead for the future. Of course I've now hit the oh man I'm going to have to think seriously About paying into a pension age.

I've managed to move from a small town to the city. I did it gradually over about 15 years.

What I did was find a job within commuting distance from home and look for a house in the town I worked in. Stay for a few years then look for a job within commuting distance of that town and move there after getting a job and so on.

It would be a good idea for you to research benefits in other states. That way you can make an informed decision.

Buffaloboy92

25 Aug 2018, 7:17 pm

I’m hoping to find something within a good distance too and travel to and from that work site as if I’m a worldly guy. I hope to travel to Graceland, Texas, New York City, Florida, Europe. I hope to go anywhere while getting paid vacation, traveling, and moving expenses. It’s quite a journey so no matter where the road takes you it’s a pretty big country i guess.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:33 am

I'm not sure I understand your position. You say you would lose your Social Security if you married, yet you recognize you will lose health insurance under your parents' policy at age 26. If Social Security considers you disabled, you may remain insured under your parents' policy indefinitely, they just have to declare it. (I think you still have to be living in their household, though.)

It's nice to feel you can meet the challenges of living anywhere. It's reasonable to make a plan to do that. Are you working now? What is your skill set?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

Are you learning independent life skills? Most people have to cook, clean, and pay the bills, among other things. Being able to handle these yourself will make it a lot easier to move to a new town. Even if you have a SO that loves cook, she may have a minor injury like breaking her ankle, so would be expected to do that. As for finding out that you are a much better cook than your SO, a good couple can work that out.

Buffaloboy92

27 Aug 2018, 4:17 pm

My set skill is I can do laundry and clean. I still have to learn how to cook. I just haven’t gotten my staff hired yet through self-directed services. It takes place this December I think. I work in a retail store as a stock/cart associate. I would be learning independent life skills but I have an idea for someone who would be a good life coach in order to help me learn those. I receive training with staff who come in to see me at home throughout this winter possibly while my friend and I look for houses through auctions. I have to pay him rent while I live with him. My significant other is waitlisted for her own apartment right now. It takes two to three years to find one for her. And no I am not on disability benefits, im on SSI. I hope to find full-time employment in order to pay the bills before I move out. This will happen hopefully before I get off my moms insurance at 26 and get my own through benefits at work. Once that living scenario is set, then begins years trek through hopefully expanding life experiences out into the country. Still live with parents.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 8:20 pm

Well, good luck, and let us know how your plan is going.

Buffaloboy92

01 May 2019, 7:24 pm

Update: Apartment made available, get to pay rent with museum job a standardized amount (at least a third of my paycheck gone) per month but with readily made available subsidy. Seems like a start for me and my significant other but we can’t room. She still lives with her parents, says we can’t live together til after marriage but she wil someday get a full time job and get her own apartment. Her parents said she can move out before marriage so that’s the good part. As of moving to a new town, I can’t afford such expenses until who knows when. My service people are based in my hometown so I guess I’m staying there. Want to also own a boat someday after I retire but I got a long way to go. Seems like I live happy while I’m still young. Can’t find it anywhere else rn.

Tirips
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2019, 8:54 pm

Buffaloboy92 wrote:
Update: Apartment made available, get to pay rent with museum job a standardized amount (at least a third of my paycheck gone) per month but with readily made available subsidy. Seems like a start for me and my significant other but we can’t room. She still lives with her parents, says we can’t live together til after marriage but she wil someday get a full time job and get her own apartment. Her parents said she can move out before marriage so that’s the good part. As of moving to a new town, I can’t afford such expenses until who knows when. My service people are based in my hometown so I guess I’m staying there. Want to also own a boat someday after I retire but I got a long way to go. Seems like I live happy while I’m still young. Can’t find it anywhere else rn.

Good for you ! !! ! hang in there. I just turned 30 a few months ago and planning on moving eventually

Buffaloboy92

08 May 2019, 3:57 pm

Thank you, where do you plan on moving to?

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 8:34 am

#metoo .. i want to see the world , not just on the internet

Buffaloboy92

31 May 2019, 10:36 pm

So I finally moved into my apt today speak of wanting to see the world ollychan. So much to do and so much to see.