Does anyone else hate washing their hair?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 5:21 am

I know it feels nice when your hair is washed and dried and looking/smelling nice. But if I had my way I'll only wash my hair when I wanted, which would probably be about twice a month. Sure, greasy hair makes me feel dirty, but it's OK if I tie it back.

My mother gets on to me about not washing my hair, especially if I haven't been doing anything all day. She's like "you've had all day!" I hate it when people say that. Sometimes I really, really don't feel like washing my hair, and I put it off 'til the next day. I just don't like my hair being wet, and it takes so long to dry because it's thick.

I feel I have to wash my hair for social approval. I don't really want to go to work looking like a skank. Plus I tend to get stares from strangers in public when my hair doesn't look it's best, and I hate being stared at. So I only wash my hair to keep my dignity.

Anyone else feel the same about washing their hair?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:34 am

If I don't wash my hair every 2-3 days, my scalp gets too itchy/dandruff to tolerate, so I'm kind of forced to wash it.

But since I've been shampoo-free, it isn't constantly greasy looking like it used to be.

It probably makes me look like a slob, but if I do end up missing a shower and need to go out, I'll throw on a bandana :oops:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:14 am

I don't hate washing it. But I do hate combing it out afterward. It's quite long, fine, wavy, and tangles easily.

When it was short, that wasn't such an issue, and I washed it every day or two. My scalp gets oily and itchy. Now I wash it about once a week. I have been unable to find a swim cap that actually keeps my hair dry, so I usually shampoo after my weekly swim, when the hair is going to be wet, anyway.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 11:11 am

My hair does seem to tangle a bit worse after cutting shampoo, but that's probably my own fault, for skipping the apple cider vinegar conditioner.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 12:56 pm

I don't mind washing it, but I despise drying it. I gave thick hair too. I can get away with leaving a maximum of 3 days.

I was hospitalised for a month a few years ago and didn't wash my hair the whole time I was there. It was disgusting. I just tied it back. It too several washes to get it back to normal when I washed it at home.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:11 pm

Have you considered a short hair style that would be more manageable?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

It depends on what kind of hair you have. Mine is wavy and I found a short style a nightmare to cope with. At least on bad hair days I can tie it up when it's long. With short hair it can't be hidden unless you wear a hat.

Not sure how Joe would find it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 8:49 am

Yes, I know all about coarse wavy hair. I think I was around 10 when someone pointed out that I looked really good when my hair was long. But, I don't mind washing it all the time and letting it air dry.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 1:42 pm

Yes

You could wear a baseball cap to reduce comments about your hair

Some jobs let you wear hats

Some jobs don't

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm

I like washing my hair. If I don't wash my hair after 2 days, my scalp gets really itchy and oily. I don't bother blow drying it though.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:56 am

BTDT wrote:
Have you considered a short hair style that would be more manageable?

Every time I cut mine short, I end up regretting it shortly thereafter. (no pun intended)

I weigh the pros and cons, but I still prefer it long. (no rhyme intended)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 8:31 am

But, the choice isn't really between short and long hair.
It is between clean short hair and dirty long hair.

I think short hairstyles for women are becoming more popular.

Also, the OP's profession is cleaning. Dirty hair makes a bad impression to the boss.
Short clean hair would be more professional.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 5:28 pm

BTDT wrote:
But, the choice isn't really between short and long hair.
It is between clean short hair and dirty long hair.

I must've missed that part. I wash my hair with the same frequency, regardless of length.

It just dries a lot faster when it's short. And combs a lot easier.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 9:33 pm

Dry shampoo

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 5:05 am

^I've never used dry shampoo, though it sounds tempting.

I don't like washing my hair but still do it twice a week otherwise it gets stringy and oily. My hair is short but when it dries after a wash it sticks out all over the place. So I have to straighten it. Which is a pain in the arse.

The whole washing, drying, styling shenanigan is a pain.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2018, 12:04 pm

Yeah my hair greatly frustrates me most of the time. I wash it, it's clean for that day then I wake up the next morning and it's greasy and towards the middle of that day it's like someone poured a whole bottle of oil into my hair. Not even kidding, I wish I was. And yet I try to touch my hair as little as possible and keep it out off my face too and of course can't wash it too often because then it gets dull. Sighs. Dry shampoo is a blessing though.