Bone-spur draft dodger nixed statement praising McCain

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 9:24 pm

Trump rejected plans for a White House statement praising McCain

Quote:
Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other White House aides advocated for an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a “hero,” according to current and former White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. The original statement was drafted before McCain died Saturday, and Sanders and others edited a final version this weekend that was ready for the president, the aides said.

But Trump told aides he wanted to post a brief tweet instead, and the statement praising McCain’s life was not released.

Donald Trump, then a Republican presidential candidate, appeared at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, on July 18, 2015, when he cast doubt on the heroism of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). (Daniel Acker/Bloomberg News)

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 1:23 am

While tRump was dodging, McCain was getting his daily ass beating from the Viet Cong. That's all I need to know about The Donald's character.

No loss. From what I gather, McCain couldn't stand tRump, so noone in the McCain family is weeping bitter tears over this snub.

I didn't care for many aspect of McCain's politics, and blame him for unleashing that brain dead trash bag Palin on us. BUT the guy was a class act and a war hero. He did public service, when he could have made f**k tons of cash in the private sector.

God speed Mr. McCain, God speed...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

Strange ... how is it than an alleged "bone spur" can keep a man out of the Army, but it won't prevent him from playing multiple rounds of golf?
Donald J. Trump: Coward, draft-dodger, liar, racist, sexist...
:scratch:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 8:33 am

The bone spur is in his brain.
Looks like Rump is jealous of all the attention a deceased war hero is getting.
“Not fair,” whines the petulant fat man child.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

Misslizard wrote:
... Looks like Rump is jealous of all the attention a deceased war hero is getting. ...
Poor Mr. Trump -- he doesn't even have a military record of his own to brag about, which I'm sure he would if he did.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 5:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
... Looks like Rump is jealous of all the attention a deceased war hero is getting. ...
Poor Mr. Trump -- he doesn't even have a military record of his own to brag about, which I'm sure he would if he did.

If he joined the military his record would be dishonorable discharge. As you can attest to never taking responsibility and blaming everybody else for your screw ups is the opposite of the military code of honor.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 12:57 am

Behind Trump's decision to finally praise John McCain

Quote:
Trump was urged by senior level staffers, including chief of staff John Kelly, to deliver a more robust statement on McCain starting early Monday morning, but he resisted and maintained that he would not alter his planned schedule because of McCain's death. Trump told some advisers he believed the television coverage of McCain's death was over the top, according to one person familiar with internal deliberations.
As the day proceeded, aides continued to press him to at least address the matter of the White House flags. After facing criticism for raising the flags to full staff after lowering them on Saturday, he relented on that issue, and released the statement detailing the logistical items he'd approved for McCain's remembrance ceremonies. Trump had come under harsh criticism for his apparent lack of compassion for the late senator. The national commander of the American Legion, a large veterans' organization, wrote in a statement, "I strongly urge you to make an appropriate presidential proclamation noting Senator McCain's death and legacy of service to our nation, and that our nation's flag be half-staffed through his interment."
A spokesman for the American Legion said the organization heard from a White House staffer after Trump's proclamation who thanked the veterans' group for its pointed statement.
"We were happy to see the White House move in the right direction," American Legion spokesman Joe Plenzler said. "It's symbolic. But it's important."
A source close to the White House said other staffers had been privately hoping that Trump would change his mind about releasing a full, respectful statement honoring McCain along with the proclamation ordering flags to fly at half-staff.
A separate White House official said other aides were glad the flags were finally lowered with the proclamation issued Monday afternoon. Questioned midmorning whether he believed McCain -- a former Navy pilot who was shot down over Vietnam -- was a hero, Trump remained stone-faced behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office after announcing a trade breakthrough with Mexico.
Later, walking along the Rose Garden toward the Oval Office with his Kenyan counterpart, he stared straight ahead when asked for any thoughts on the late lawmaker.
Once inside, he ignored questions again while White House press aides shouted over reporters who were inquiring about McCain.
Moments later in the Cabinet Room, a similar scene played out.
"Thank you very much," Trump said after the questions continued coming.
Kelly, who was later announced as one of the administration's representatives at McCain's services, stood nearby. Pence, assigned to speak at a service in the Capitol Building on Friday, sat alongside Trump.
As he bid farewell to President Uhuru Kenyatta at the West Wing, the President again declined to answer when pitched a question on McCain.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:33 am

He still thinks McCain was a loser for getting caught no matter what correction the WH staff comes up with.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman