Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 1:38 pm

Mythos wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:
I personally enjoyed Class (the newest Doctor Who spinoff) but I guess it wasn't popular enough to get a second series and a lot of people I talk to really disliked it.
I watched a bit, but it was clearly meant to be tween, a bit too mild for me. It also had a very strong Waterloo Road vibe, which made me feel like they were pushing a bit too much for the schoolyard drama genre which is far too overdone at this point.

To be honest, I haven't had interest in Doctor Who since Matt Smith became the Doctor. I think they reached the whole running out of ideas mark at that point.

I see what you are saying. My personal favorite of the spinoffs is Torchwood followed by The Sarah Jane Adventures. Now that I think about it, Class was somewhat like Waterloo Road (which I actually enjoy too, got into it because I wanted to watch Jenna Coleman's episodes, but it hooked me for a while). I remember seeing someone on Tumblr compare Class to Torchwood saying it was like an alternate universe of Torchwood, and that the characters were somewhat similar but younger, high-school versions.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2018, 9:46 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
Mythos wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:
I personally enjoyed Class (the newest Doctor Who spinoff) but I guess it wasn't popular enough to get a second series and a lot of people I talk to really disliked it.
I watched a bit, but it was clearly meant to be tween, a bit too mild for me. It also had a very strong Waterloo Road vibe, which made me feel like they were pushing a bit too much for the schoolyard drama genre which is far too overdone at this point.

To be honest, I haven't had interest in Doctor Who since Matt Smith became the Doctor. I think they reached the whole running out of ideas mark at that point.

I see what you are saying. My personal favorite of the spinoffs is Torchwood followed by The Sarah Jane Adventures. Now that I think about it, Class was somewhat like Waterloo Road (which I actually enjoy too, got into it because I wanted to watch Jenna Coleman's episodes, but it hooked me for a while). I remember seeing someone on Tumblr compare Class to Torchwood saying it was like an alternate universe of Torchwood, and that the characters were somewhat similar but younger, high-school versions.
I didn't really watch Torchwood but I did see bits here and there. I was interested in Doctor Who at the time but I don't think I ever really cared much for spinoff shows.

In my opinion, a Doctor Who spinoff which is a lot darker / grittier than the show itself would have a lot more appeal to it. I think Torchwood was maybe a bit like this but, again, I didn't watch it much so I don't know.

On that note, Netflix picks up a lot of shows that have potential and I think Doctor Who being a BBC show really drags it down, with lack of funding and limitations on touching upon more sensitive topics (the BBC are fairly renowned for being a bit too safe with their content). In this sense, a Netflix show, or anything similar, would be rather intriguing in my opinion.

As it stands though, most of these shows are a bit too tame for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm really not into scares and such, but there's a lot more they could do with the franchise if they targeted a more mature audience.

I guess it's really opinions at this point though. Some people like hard themes and others just want something lighter. I can respect that.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 3:41 am

Models Inc and CPW were not hits but I like them

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 3:43 pm

The Swan.

I dearly wish someone would do a where are they now on those people.

Oh and that truth telling game show, that utterly WRECKED the lives of the contestants.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

Anything from the Stargate franchise (except the animateds).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pete413
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm

I have always found a simplistic beauty in "Married With Children", It's such an honest show.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:31 pm

The Kids In The Hall were awesome! 8O

I found just once sketch from their show was often more laugh-out-loud funny than most American sitcoms, which seldom made me even crack a smile.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2018, 9:36 am

I thought "Archer" (on Netflix) was hilarious. As soon as friends tuned in, they tuned out. They complained it was a cartoon. A hilarious one, except well... the last season wasn't quite as funny. Still a good one though.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 9:49 am

mr. pickles

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2018, 10:06 am

The Jackie Thomas Show
I challenge anyone to find a copy of this show for sale anywhere, it got cancelled after one season and buried to die in oblivion. I've been looking for copies in store, on Amazon, even downloads online and cannot find a single episode anywhere. If anyone knows how I can watch this again, please let me know and I'll buy it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

'Seinfeld.' I know, it was a highly regarded comedy classic. But oddly enough, most of my family couldn't stand it, and quite a number of friends. I think it was largely because they couldn't work up and genuine empathy for the characters, especially during the last three seasons. And it lacked those "warm and fuzzy" moments that so many seem to value.

Most of them loved 'Friends.' though; a show I couldn't stand.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 8:48 pm

I liked The Lizzie Borden Chronicles even though I can admit that it was not that good of a show.

It was COMPLETELY historically inaccurate! Nothing about that show had anything to do with what really happened to Lizzie Borden and her sister Emma after she was acquitted for the axe murders against her parents. The TV movie was honestly more realistic and true to what really happened during the trial than the mini series was.

But I still liked the mini series just because I'm a big fan of Christina Ricci. She plays a creepy psycho girl so well. I also enjoyed Clea DuVall's performance as Lizzie's sister Emma.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
'Seinfeld.' I know, it was a highly regarded comedy classic. But oddly enough, most of my family couldn't stand it, and quite a number of friends. I think it was largely because they couldn't work up and genuine empathy for the characters, especially during the last three seasons. And it lacked those "warm and fuzzy" moments that so many seem to value.

Most of them loved 'Friends.' though; a show I couldn't stand.

I think you're a rabid anti-dentite , thats what I think :lol:

evilsithwraith666

18 Oct 2018, 9:05 pm

Syfy’s happy- it’s sick, twisted, and depraved but it has modern values and it is absolutely hilarious if you have a dark mind and are willing to laugh at insanity

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:50 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.

They have been renewed. Not really hated.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2018, 9:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
Anything from the Stargate franchise (except the animateds).

That was a good franchise. Although it was a little odd watching the cast members from Farscape get integrated in to the main show later on. And I still want to know what the point of SGU was.

evilsithwraith666 wrote:
Syfy’s happy- it’s sick, twisted, and depraved but it has modern values and it is absolutely hilarious if you have a dark mind and are willing to laugh at insanity

I'm reminded of the show Scare Tactics that was terrible, but had its charms.