Have You Ever Been Called Weird Before?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 11:36 am

I have been called weird by other girls at school, but not really in adulthood.

I've called called weird in a jokey friendly way by colleagues, but I don't take offense to that because they do it to each other too in the same sort of jokey friendly way.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

Yeah, friends call me weird/quirky/strange all the time in a joking manner. I don't think much of it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 12:41 pm

I'm sure plenty of people find me weird, but I can only remember being called weird to my face once. And that was just a daycare kid who said to her playmate: "He's weird!" (about me). It had as much of an impact as her calling me "he"! :lol:

No, actually an adult relative once called me weird too, although with a smile. I didn't like it. Some amount of "what the bleep is that supposed to mean" and "all I said was..." may have ensued.
I don't care what people I'm indifferent to say or think, but I need to know where I stand with those I'm supposed to be close to, like my rels (whom I'm not really close to but...). I have no problem cutting them off, but I need to know.

When I was 12-13 years old, my grandfather said I was original. I knew that was just another way of saying weird. After all, I was aware of the term byoriginal. It's absolutely not a compliment. His expression and tone gave it away too.
Needless to say I didn't appreciate it. We had a close relationship, and it didn't cause bickering, but I never forgot and I thought a little bit less of him after that. Felt I could be a little less open and a bit more reserved. I don't think that's what he wanted, because I know he actually did love me, and I loved him, but... It bothered me because he was one of 3 people whose opinion mattered to me.

I know some people here are okay with weird.But weird is never a positive, and I'm not okay with anything I think of as weird, so I'm not okay with being called weird even if that's what someone think. I'm sure there are plenty of things I might be thinking of them but not saying. I expect the same back, and usually get it. What they say behind my back is none of my business, same as it's not theirs what I might say about them.
Not being mainstream doesn't always equal weird.
Quirky is potentially good, weird isn't.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
My classmates thought that I was weird when I was growing up. This girl in one of my classes in high school told me that she and some of the other girls thought I was weird.

I think most people think of me as weird these days. It shows in how they treat me. People tend to limit their interactions with me or they treat me like a child. Some people pretend not to know me. I never get beyond the acquaintance stage with anyone hardly ever.

in high school my LO would always tell me how people thought she and i were dating...but also how she'd overhear that i was a weird kid, that people felt "sorry for me", how i came across as a total odd low functioning sperg, and "i don't think you're like that at all", she'd say. of course, i rarely heard that from the people whom were actually saying that about me. one thing to say it so someone's face, another to do it behind their back

she probably talked s**t about me too when i wasn't there. actually, now i'm certain of it..

but i relate to you. i don't talk to anyone in college, and people don't come up to me. i guess that's the best an alien like me can do. if people leave you alone, you're doing good enough.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RandomFact
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm

When I was still a kid, I would have considered it a good day if I was only being called “weird.” On other days, the junior high school boys had several other preferred adjectives for me, none of which would be appropriate to print here.

As an adult, I still occasionally get called “weird,” but only by people I know well and who usually are saying it in a good-natured way (i.e., not meant to be insulting). I sometimes think that adults I don’t know may think I am odd, but my interactions with them don’t devolve to the point that they actually say something directly to my face.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:58 pm

All. The. Time. Both in a teasing good natured way, and in a bad way. But hey, theres worse things to be called and Ive heard most of those too.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:55 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I know some people here are okay with weird.But weird is never a positive...

I've had it used as a compliment a few times, before.

Even if it's used in a derogatory way, I say "thank you". People tend to treat you better when you can "roll with the punches", so to speak, rather than take everything to heart. I'm not sure if that makes sense, the way I worded it...

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 7:29 am

For as long as I can remember.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 7:58 am

I've been called the followed though not limited to--creepy, eccentric,creepy, and peculiar, strange, psychotic and ever other word(s) that has come down over the centuries some benign, some malignant. I try to simply act in an honorable manner even if I'm perceived in a negative manner by someone else's protocols or standards of normal functioning.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 8:58 am

When I was in school, yes. Today, most people seem to like me.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Yep. Since childhood. One of my good friends in vocational school called me Yoda though, 'cause I seemed to live on my own planet.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 9:38 am

Of course, regularly

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Asatarusurad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2018, 9:49 am

At age 15 I went to a summer camp, and at the end every participant was handed a (not-too-serious) *Diploma* in which, of course humorous, were stated some characteristics, a conclusion of everyone's behaviour. In mine was written: *for having a uniquely weird personality*. So you see, I have had my weirdness officially affirmed and documented. This wasn't meant teasing or mean.
Once when I visited my aunt, many strangers began to call me "Individualist" and a "Genius" in a for me rather uncomfortable awe. They actually seemed to envy me, how well no one knew how people treat me at home where I live.

Yet aside from that it was not that people directly called me weird but in schools - and school that is a nightmare - I constantly wish homeschooling would be allowed in my country - they would very clearly make me feel, how they thought about me - by bullying and intentional exclusion. Names I was called were: *Plague*, *Psychopath*, and similar, which I do not want to remember at all.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 10:17 am

huimaa wrote:
Yep. Since childhood. One of my good friends in vocational school called me Yoda though, 'cause I seemed to live on my own planet.

Well, I'd say, your more gifted and a better person pertaining to Yoda--

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2018, 6:11 am

Many, many times.