Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2018, 9:09 pm

Fast Food. Lasted about 4 months somehow but ended up quitting for a multitude of reasons, none of which are most likely surprising. I was having panic attacks going in every time, and still get anxiety just driving near the place.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Oct 2018, 7:39 pm

None of the 3 jobs I had were bad when I 1st started. Things kind of went downhill at two of them thou. The worst was doing floor-cleaning working at WalMart. After about a year & a half, my department had a contract crew helping us out cuz we got very shorthanded; people transferring to other departments, stores, or just diapering. The contract crew kept screwing things up that we had to redo/fix/correct. Anyways I was working alot of overtime; staying at least an hour & 15 minutes later each day & coming in on one of my off days too. Management kept being on my back about stuff & pulling me off to do things we weren't exactly supposed to do & then getting mad that the stuff we were supposed to be doing wasn't getting done. On the day I quit which was after being there 25 months, I was ordered by an assistant manger to do something & ignore all orders that didn't come from her. The head manager of the store had me paged to do something but she didn't make the page herself so I ignored it like I thought I was supposed to. Anyways the head manger chewed me out without giving me a chance to explain. I couldn't take the stress anymore so I quit. A couple months after I quit, the department was dissolved into others(the people who were left were transferred to other departments) & the contact crew took over completely. I would of had problems working in other departments due to psychical disabilities so I feel I was kind of forced out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 8:01 pm

Cleaning out meat trucks with strong power hose (the pay was above average but very hard work and smelly)

Didn’t last long.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2018, 8:57 pm

I worked as a morning baker for a few months at a bagel and sandwich shop. Got up at 2am and had to bike in for a while. I was proud of my work, but the conditions were terrible, the people were trashy, and the work was miserable. Typical retail/foodservice stuff.

Our shifts for full-time employees were supposed to be 8 hours. Store was understaffed so we'd regularly stay at least 30 minutes extra, including a lady who was 60+. I didn't really know when I'd be home on any given day and our assistant manager initially complained when I would take the lunch break I was legally supposed to.

On my feet all day. They still hurt sometimes, more easily than they used to. Started taking aspirin and drinking Monster, getting pads for my shoes. Non-stop fast work in front of a hot oven with people yelling for more of a certain flavor, etc. Sometimes I'd work on the sandwich line where it was crowded. I'd come back after two days off and still be sore.

My co-workers often came in smelling like pot, and work that was supposed to be done the night before often wasn't done. The assistant manager would threaten to fire us as a "joke" if we didn't meet arbitrary quotas, made sexual innuendo towards one of the high school employees, and would get angry at us all for "asking too many questions" and "always questioning" her. Not like her old store, that just "did what she said".

Four people quit over a 3-week period lol. Me included. Things got so bad with the assistant manager that I snapped and walked out one morning. I sat in front of the nearby Dairy Queen at 4am and bawled for like an hour, then went home. I talked to the store manager and we tried to work it out, but about a week and a half later after a good interview for another job I bailed. Wound up hired so it worked out.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2018, 5:32 am

I once worked closing shift at a chain buffet restaurant, and it was horrible. The morning people never prepared everything or cleaned up their messes, so it would all fall on me. It was incredibly stressful having to keep everything stocked and make a bunch of food at the same time. People were constantly walking out, especially in the dishroom. One time, a new dishwasher who had no idea what she was doing was in there alone for over 3 hours and fell way behind. We were supposed to be out around 11pm, but all of us were stuck there until 3am washing dishes. That job was so bad, that it gave me anxiety attacks. Whenever I wasn't there, I would dread going back. I've had some crappy jobs over the years, but that one takes the cake.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 5:55 pm

I've had two worst jobs, one paid and one volunteer. Both sucked, I'm guessing, because of my severe aversion to getting wet.

The volunteer job consisted of me being stuck in a back room of a clothing store steaming piles and piles of garments all day. From urine-smelling old men's pants to yellowed blouses, it all fell on me to do, even though the job description was for a shop assistant. It seemed the ladies didn't want to do any steaming themselves, and I'm not surprised considering I broke out in rashes all over my skin after a day's worth of steaming. A year later, I received a note from a new manager at the store, introducing herself, thanking me for my effort and inviting me to return to the store. I never replied.

The paid job was as a dish pig in a family restaurant. Lots of sink splashing, floating food waste, slimy, slippery floors, steamy, stinky and full of multi-tasking. Gloves were no help. Almost got locked in the freezer one time. Came home stinking to high heaven. On my second-last shift, it took me nearly an hour to dress for work, as I felt I was going to my own execution. On my last day, not a month into the job, I had a meltdown. Only time I've ever yelled at a boss. Considering it was over something stupid, I have to conclude I was just mega stressed from being wet and thirsty all day (ironically, I hate being thirsty as much as I hate getting wet).

Thankfully, my worst jobs were not the jobs where I was around the worst people I've ever worked with.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

It's a toss-up between honey-dipper in a rural area, and night janitor at a women's college.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's a toss-up between honey-dipper in a rural area, and night janitor at a women's college.

:hail:

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:30 pm

Power hose cleaning meat truck
I may have answers this one.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 5:44 am

Bill collections. And not for anything important, but for phonebook advertisements. It was a taste of hell.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 8:36 am

I will pick two and both had employment supports but they kept me down
1. During one semester in high school, I wiped tables and stocked condiments which were boring next to have job coaches nitpick everything. I told my teachers and employment teacher that I did not like it. I got "Deal with it."

2. During most of my 20's, I was placed in a position by an employment program that kept me on production and other limited things. That management and the employment supports were not very well trained or educated on hiring people with disabilities. In fact, the management was very irresponsible in that they were poor communicators and nor did they ever pull me to the side. Instead, they expected me to "Take a hint." Moreover, the owner's brother was very provocative and flirtatious. There were several times where he came to up and hug me, gives me massages and often about sex during work hours. Yet his sister was more willing to protect him over me. The job coach was just as bad in which she was a little smart alec next to collecting her check and not doing anything other than saying "Do your job." I asked her to help me find something else but she made excuses.