Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Seba7290
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2018, 1:52 am

Sorry for the vent, but I saw this on reddit and got so angry that I had to share.

This person acts like all autistic people are the same and that's it's the absolute worst thing that can happen to a parent. Have you forgotten the SPECTRUM part? Not every autistic person will need lifelong care.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 2:47 am

People like that choose to have no self-awareness. I guess he thinks he's a delight to deal with.

He also seems to be very confused when he says "potentially abusive." A lot of the physical aggression is just people trying to communicate, not being understood, and not understanding any other way to deal with their frustration. It sucks, but it's understandable.

My problem with NTs like this guy is that, because there is no other kind of human or species to outnumber them, they think their view is some kind of universal ideal. He talks about lacking empathy (because an autistic person should always be there to serve other people, right??), yet can't put himself in the mind of the autistic person. If aliens came here tomorrow these people would have to start looking a little harder at all the privilege and beliefs they take for granted. Sometimes NTs feel like they're just very capable children, which I hate to say because it sounds like an insult to children.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 7:03 am

wow

how many downvotes did you crop out? :skull:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2018, 7:16 am

This Redditor put me in mind of a piece of writing by Dietrich Bonhoeffer entitled "On Stupidity"

Quote:
"Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings  at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed- in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self-satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous."

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2018, 9:48 am

It seems as though this individual has confused the extremely low functioning end of the spectrum with the ENTIRE spectrum.

They just need to do a bit of reading.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 10:29 am

ultimately, their opinion is meaningless and not worth worrying about. so yeah.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EC6456
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2018, 10:54 am

It sounds like they don't like kids in general. Like where they said "parents can hope to get their lives back eventually"? If this person thinks 1)Your life ends when you have children and 2) You cease being a parent at some point (like, you're just going to become adult acquaintances or something) they are seriously misguided. I really really hope this person doesn't currently have children because it sounds like they will be miserable and by extension make their children miserable. 8O 8O

autistic-vampire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Ugh, Reddit is often so extremely ignorant about autism, but they act like they are experts about it. They do that with a lot of topics, actually.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 11:06 am

Autistic people should just stay away from Reddit. It's nothing but a giant petri dish that the internet uses to breed hatred and stupidity.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 12:51 pm

I can't stand reddit. Maybe you should just stop participating there.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2018, 1:26 pm

EC6456 wrote:
It sounds like they don't like kids in general. Like where they said "parents can hope to get their lives back eventually"? If this person thinks 1)Your life ends when you have children and 2) You cease being a parent at some point (like, you're just going to become adult acquaintances or something) they are seriously misguided. I really really hope this person doesn't currently have children because it sounds like they will be miserable and by extension make their children miserable. 8O 8O

That was precisely my thought. "Man, I would hate to be this person's kid, even if I was NT."

I don't have children and don't plan to, but for pity's sake it's not like they are sea lampreys attached to you and deliberately feeding off your blood and tissue.

No offense to sea lampreys. They would probably have more sense than to attach themselves to this person. :lol:

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 2:29 pm

Funny, when this person has almost no empathy at all :lol:

Like watching an Overwatch match, and someone is being bad, and a jerk yells at them to stop being a moron and autistic. Well, if he was autistic, he would probably be kicking your a*s because almost every person on the spectrum I know is highly intelligent, and a great gamer. They are also polite and good teammates.

People are ignorant, and Reddit is full of ignorant wise-ass people.

Let's hope for the child, that this person never get's any children because this person seems like a mentally abusive person.

Seba7290
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2018, 4:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
wow

how many downvotes did you crop out? :skull:

Lol

It actually had 10 upvotes